WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be in Shanghai for a conference in July and am looking forward buying some watches as souvenirs. My question is twofold.

- What is your favourite Shanghai watch? Vintage or new doesn't matter, nor do you have to actually own it, but pictures would be really helpful.

- Which Shanghai(s) should I buy? I've got a couple vintage Zuanshi watches that I really like, but I'd like to stick to Shanghai branded pieces on this trip. I'm looking to get at least one for myself and maybe a few as souvenirs. The catch is that I'm a grad student and I don't have much of a budget after travel expenses, so please try to recommend the more affordable pieces... to give you an idea of what I mean, 70% of my collection cost $20 CAD or less, while my most expensive watch was only $80.

Thanks is advance!

·
6,158 Posts
I'm not sure what my favorite one is. Let me show all of them, with some comments:

Mil re-issue. Beautiful watch, original looks, nice size (38mm) unless you're used to huge watches

HePing re-edition. Remake of one of the earliest Chinese watches. Good looks, and not unimportant, quite a bargain.

This is also a re-issue, cheap but a bit plain.

Vintage:
The most collectible vintage in my opinion is the A581. Disadvantage is that with no shock protection you must be careful with it. Also the risk of getting a frankenwatch is quite high. And it's a bit small at 34 mm

A good alternative is the 1120. Beautiful movement, still the old logo, and not as wanted as the A581 and 611 (yet). This one I think is my favorite vintage shanghai:

also available in silver colors:

Then there's the newer SS7/7120's, cheap, and available in different funny colors:

Oh, I just discovered I also have a 1523 :roll::-x

And an overview of course :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin

ps, you should also consider this one: New Shanghai multifunctional moonphase S506-5-12 automatic mechanical watch

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
My favorite Shanghai made VCMs these days are a slim Chunlei with a SS7 (tongji) movement, or an early Shanghai 1120 with a SS1 movement.|>
These are not those sought after rare collectables, and could be bought for little money.

Attachments

·
Banned
595 Posts
I'm going to be in Shanghai for a conference in July and am looking forward buying some watches as souvenirs. My question is twofold.

- What is your favourite Shanghai watch? Vintage or new doesn't matter, nor do you have to actually own it, but pictures would be really helpful.

- Which Shanghai(s) should I buy? I've got a couple vintage Zuanshi watches that I really like, but I'd like to stick to Shanghai branded pieces on this trip. I'm looking to get at least one for myself and maybe a few as souvenirs. The catch is that I'm a grad student and I don't have much of a budget after travel expenses, so please try to recommend the more affordable pieces... to give you an idea of what I mean, 70% of my collection cost $20 CAD or less, while my most expensive watch was only $80.

Thanks is advance!
Hope all your Pre work before the trip will land you with some good watches when you get to Shanghai.

Here's one for your consideration. It's in my to get list. If you want to get it best deal I managed to find is at one of the shop in YuLin Lu.

image-3523868803.jpg

Old stock Shanghai brand 7120 "VCM" like this could go for abt sub 100-300 rmb. Just have to hunt for them.

image-1059612946.jpg

image-2771029107.jpg

Good luck !

·
Banned
595 Posts
I'm not sure what my favorite one is. Let me show all of them, with some comments:

HePing re-edition. Remake of one of the earliest Chinese watches. Good looks, and not unimportant, quite a bargain.

And an overview of course :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin

ps, you should also consider this one: New Shanghai multifunctional moonphase S506-5-12 automatic mechanical watch
Awesome collection Martin!! Love the He Ping and your 1120. What is the size of the HePing as it seems a little larger than the rest in your collection photo?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
This is my favourite Shanghai VCM because it has a ChunLei tongji movement...

·
6,158 Posts
Awesome collection Martin!! Love the He Ping and your 1120. What is the size of the HePing as it seems a little larger than the rest in your collection photo?
I guess the HePing just looks bigger in the picture. I just measured it, it's between 35-36mm wide without crown, and 44mm including lugs.

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
274 Posts

Thanks is advance!
If you're going to be in Shanghai in July, Fomenko is trying to organize a GTG of WUS members at that time. PM him if you're interested to meet up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is very helpful, folks! Thanks to everyone who has contributed both photos and comments. Hopefully we'll still see some more nice Shanghai pics from other f72-dwellers :-!

So far, I really like the pie pan dial of the silvery 1120s and it is a bonus if they are very affordable. Some of the NOS or re-issues seem like a good choice as well.

If you're going to be in Shanghai in July, Fomenko is trying to organize a GTG of WUS members at that time. PM him if you're interested to meet up.
Thanks for the heads up. I seem to recall someone mentioning something about that before (maybe you?), but I couldn't remember where I read it...

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,524 Posts
+1 to all the suggestions of authentic Shanghai nostalgia/reissue pieces, especially if you can land one made with reconditioned original parts. What better memento of a Shanghai trip could there be?

Reactions: CMcG

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Here are two of my favorites.

Peacock dial
uploadfromtaptalk1371619747936.jpg

Quick set date (rili)
uploadfromtaptalk1371619797278.jpg

cheers,
gigfy

Reactions: CMcG

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
There are some excellent suggestions in the posts above. It's impossible for me to choose a favourite, but in your price range I really like the late 1960s/early 1970s style of watches with SS1 movements, preferably with stainless steel cases.

I've never been there, but I imagine you should be able to get a number of (mid 1970s to mid 1980s) 7120 models for very reasonable prices. There's a huge number of different dials available.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All these pics are making me extra excited for my trip :p:p:p

Does anyone else have a textured dial Shanghai, similar to what bcy posted, but with steel/silvery indexes and hands instead of golden? I've seen a few on TaoBao and eBay, but not too many... maybe they are scarce?

There are some excellent suggestions in the posts above. It's impossible for me to choose a favourite, but in your price range I really like the late 1960s/early 1970s style of watches with SS1 movements, preferably with stainless steel cases.
I definitely like those metal pie pan dials, so it's good to know that not only the 1120 has that look, but other models as well. And that they are in my price range ;-) The different shaped indexes on your 1120, though, are extra awesome:

I keep going back to the Mil/diver re-issue Martin_B posted, but I'm afraid I might not be able to afford it...

·
Registered
274 Posts

Does anyone else have a textured dial Shanghai, similar to what bcy posted, but with steel/silvery indexes and hands instead of golden? I've seen a few on TaoBao and eBay, but not too many... maybe they are scarce?

I definitely like those metal pie pan dials, so it's good to know that not only the 1120 has that look, but other models as well. And that they are in my price range ;-) The different shaped indexes on your 1120, though, are extra awesome:

I keep going back to the Mil/diver re-issue Martin_B posted, but I'm afraid I might not be able to afford it...

I was at the Shanghai watch factory store yesterday and also visited some Shanghai watch shops on Yu Lin Road. They do have quite a bit of the vintage Shanghai, Chun Lei and Baoshihua. I also saw the original Military diver as well as the reIssued ones. But they are pricey. The original one was more than 10,000RMB and the re-issued ones were about 2,000RMB.

·
Banned
595 Posts

I know you are looking for Shanghai watch. However I would recommend that you check out HongQi vcm with silver pan pie dial. They are really nice. I have a black dial one but I think the the silver one is even better. Here's my HongQi bought from shanghai Dongtai Lu.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371738156.829340.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371738253.845178.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about the Shanghai watches designed by Jellymon? I know the original series sold out, but has anyone ever seen used ones floating around?

I particularly like this one:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts