WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many people on this forum have decried the list prices of Shinola and Filson watches (which are made by Shinola). I can understand that, because I would never pay full price for a Filson, and have no desire to purchase a Shinola, even at a discount, because I don't like their designs. However, I have three Filson watches now, all of a different type, which I purchased at a good discount from list. I feel that they are well-made watches. They are highly detailed and use premium materials, like Horween leather for straps with roller buckles (I've never seen those anywhere else). I recently acquired my third Filson, a Scout model, and felt that the honey-colored strap would look better on my Dutch Harbor watch with a green dial. The Scout watch is more of a pilot or field watch and I felt that it would look better on a brown strap. I swapped out the original navy blue canvas strap on my Journeyman GMT watch for a brown Hirsch Liberty strap. So none of them are on their original straps. Here are pictures of my watches in their current configurations.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Filson Mackinaw Field Watch F0110000303

_DSC4836-border.jpg _DSC4832-border.jpg

Reactions: mannal and atarione

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I've been using Filson gear since the early 1990's, everything from shirts to the waxed cotton fishing jackets. Actually wearing a Filson belt as I type now, wear it every day......... When I heard they were going to have watches I thought that would be great.

I would have one but they are all so big.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"If I'm not mistaken, tis the other way round. Shinola makes Filson."

Good catch! My bad. I knew that. Just inadvertently wrote the wrong name.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I love my Shinolas and Filsons.

Dang!! Hopefully you got a bulk and/or employee discount there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hongkongtaipan

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Here Are Mine...

Shinola S0100124 Brakeman Chrono / Argonite 5030 6 Jewel Quartz Movement

Shinola S0100085 Runwell Sport / Argonite 715 1 Jewel Quartz Movement

Filson 20001753 Dutch Harbor / Argonite 715 1 Jewel Quartz Movement

Filson 11000312 Mackinaw Field Chrono / Argonite 5030D 6 Jewel Quartz Chronograph Movement

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
All good looking watches. I like the designs. And every Shinola I've seen in the metal looks even better than the pictures. (Though that may be the trick lighting they use in Jewelry stores.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Such a gorgeous watch, it's a shame they're going for so much. For that price I can't justify buying other watches in that class.
agreed. when i saw that shinola was going to produce an automatic i was stoked, but the pricing came out and it really blew my mind; you can buy a hamilton khaki navy frogman, a glycine combat sub aquarius, or an oris aquis for less than the monster (among many other watches). i'm not knocking it, i think it's a great looking watch, i just can't help but feeling like shinola really inflated that price.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts