WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Show us your Raketa BIG ZERO !!!

114K views 344 replies 144 participants last post by  cliffjnr 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody.

Excuse-me if I'm wrong but I haven't found a specific subject dedicated to the "BIG ZERO" (yes, there is many little subject about this watch, like this one https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/raketa-zero-petrodvorets-classic-466171.html but I haven't found THE one !) and I was very surprised about that ! :-s

The "BIG ZERO" is a very iconic and an highly representative watch from soviet watch industry, because of its design but also because of its story.
The "BIG ZERO" appears in 1983 in a small round case, with a white dial but also with a black one
Originally designed for visually impaired's people, the watch was seen in 1985 on the Gorbachev wrist when he visits Italy : as journalists ask him why its watch has a zero and not a twelve, he answers "The Russians are starting all over again from zero !"...
This watch was produced in several versions for many years during soviet era and also during the 90's but one can find many fakes and frankens watches based on it's design for sale.
Since few years, Raketa produce a new version of the "BIG ZERO" called "Raketa Petrodvorets Classic".

The "BIG ZERO" style doesn't refer to a case but to the dial : bold numbers, the bold hands and the bold zero where we usually found a twelve on most of the watches. All the genuine Raketa "BIG ZERO" from 80's and 90's were powered by a 2609.HA caliber.

Most of the "BIG ZERO" were produced by Raketa but one can also find Slava "BIG ZERO", Renaissance "BIG ZERO" (Renaissance is another brand from Raketa, usually specialized in making watches with stone dials based on Raketa models) and recently also Luch "BIG ZERO" !!!
It also seems that french Slava factory in Besançon, France, have produced "BIG ZERO" during 80's with soviet calibers named "R2609" (and механизм CCCP written on dial), but so far nobody has been able to confirm that point.

Considering these 4 points (2609ha caliber, bold numbers, bold hands, a 0 replacing the 12), may I suggest you to show us your all different "BIG ZERO" watches ???
;-)

To begin, here are the 3 "BIG ZERO" I own (I'm not particularly collecting this model) :

Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Material property Font

From left to right : a classical mid-80's cccp "BIG ZERO", the french mid-80's (механизм CCCP) "BIG ZERO" and an unknown Renaissance "BIG ZERO" (I've never seen this watch before buying it !)

P.S.: sorry for my eng... globish : I'm french, it's not an excuse but...
:-d

See less See more
#4 ·
Here are some of mine. Can't vouch for the authenticity of all of them....

Paul

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
You've shown me yours, now I'll show you mine.

These are my three best. The two on the left are essentially NOS (except possibly a replacement crown on the latin one). The one on the right is practically NOS except for some pry marks on the caseback, a few minor scuffs that need to be polished on the acrylic and slight yellowing to the dial that can only be seen if held against one of the others in perfect lighting. The one on the left originally had a gilt case, but I swapped it with a NOS chrome one.

I also have a couple of Cyrillic ones without the quality rosette, but they need some work. One has a replacement domed crystal and the other is good cosmetic condition, but needs the movement cleaned--poor amplitude.

An observation: the dial printing on the ones with the quality rosette is noticeably better than the ones without. The french one posted by Chronotopos looks to have the same printing as the ones with the rosette.

To me, this is the quintessential Russian timepiece. The movement is built like a tank and easily serviceable, the design is one of the quirkiest but simple designs ever done, and (most importantly) it is readily available.

I consider myself fortunate to own several in such good condition.

#9 · (Edited)
b-) Here are mine :

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Number

My favorite is the one on the right. NOS with box and paper (Italian export) :

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Font Fashion accessory

Made in Petrodvorets vs Made in Besançon (discussed here ) :

Analog watch Watch Number Fashion accessory Font

:think: In fact, most of parts are slightly different : Case, crown, back, second hand, ...

#10 ·
View attachment 1148471

:think: In fact, most of parts are slightly different : Case, crown, back, second hand, ...
I have several Raketa with the same cusion case and they all seem to be slightly different... especially crowns and lugs. Interesting that my Latin dial zero I posted above appears to have the same crown as the French model in your photo.

#11 · (Edited)
Warning, these ones are quite gross!

Clock Fashion accessory Material property Watch Jewellery

And this one is a real jewel of bad taste and stupid layout, imho.
Fashion accessory Material property Table Watch Games

At least they sport thin hands, who do not hamper the view on the dial but just the reading of the actual time.

Reactions: mitadoc
#12 · (Edited)
Here's a variation of the same dial from Soviet times with a big Red Star, instead of a big Zero. It is number 1200 on my website.

Note that it contains a 7-jewel 2356 quartz movement and that the case is a very innovative design. The plastic strap runs continuously across the whole watch and holds the movement. The dial and caseback are attached to the strap with 4 screws.

-- Mark

Attachments

#15 ·
@soviet : the last one is a “proletarian”, a quite rare version of the Big-Zero.
The strange but usual thing with it's dial is that it uses a different type of smaller font with square end for numbers, compared to standard Big-Zero.

#17 ·
#26 ·
Funny I saw this thread today, wearing my Petrodvorets Classic 0049 on my wrist as I type. I love this watch and in a lot of ways, made me even more of a collector than I already was before. Both of my "Big Zero" watches are modern Raketa builds. The 0049 is a Swiss Ronda 763 Quartz and the other has the famous in-house Raketa 2609.HA movement and is their Sochi edition.
Watch Material property Technology Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Fashion accessory

#28 ·
Now, I can play ! :)

My one and only :

On vintage bracelet :

On beige bund :

On khaki bund :

(seller's pic)

#29 ·
Bien vu la présentation sur le catalogue Letraset !
Le bracelet métal original est très beau mais avec cette montre, sur les trois bracelets présentés, je trouve que c'est encore le bund caramel qui lui va la mieux (mais ça n'engage que moi...).

#31 ·
Bien vu la présentation sur le catalogue Letraset ! Le bracelet métal original est très beau mais avec cette montre, sur les trois bracelets présentés, je trouve que c'est encore le bund caramel qui lui va la mieux (mais ça n'engage que moi...).
Félicitations cher ami pour ce rappel que rien dans les règles du forum n'interdit ni ne préconise de langue! Surtout pas la langue de deux des patries de l'horlogerie!

Reactions: Chronotopos
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.