WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zim factory was un underdog of Soviet watchmaking. For decades it produced simple watches mostly on 2602 caliber. Design-wise, I separate the Zims into 2 categories: beautiful and ugly. I think there is no middle ground in Zim designs. :)
Mostly simple watches. Frequently under-appreciated. For example, this watch I bought in the USA for 10$. It was on ebay for 7 days. No bids except mine. The watch is basically new. Why? It had a broken balance and probably spent 60 years in a drawer. (Broken balance explains a bit why nobody wanted to buy it). I think this is a fantastic old watch. It is made from anodized aluminum and is quite small and light. Simple design. As an additional bonus it came on an a very interesting (to me) bracelet. I believe the original owner put it on this bracelet in the 60s so I will obviously keep it this way.

Show us you favorite Zims!
Cheers

·
Registered
341 Posts
I saw this a few days ago, but wasn't sure how many Zim's I had "acquired". I use this term as I can't recall buying a Zim, they have all been included in bundles.

First up.
This is typically what I think of when I think "Zim". A very plain movement. Simple construction, but possibly "loved to death".
Watch White Light Analog watch Gauge

It came in a bundle of broken Pobeda's I bought (because one watch had a TTK-1 dial). A non runner with no hands.

Next. Another broken one from the same bundle. At least it has 2 of the 3 hands required.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

This broken one was also included. Note the bend wire spring bar. No crown.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle

Then... It happened!
Another dead Zim from the bundle, but "Wow". What a nice movement!
Watch Analog watch White Light Product

The next Zim I received was sent as a "gift" with another watch I'd purchased. The seller asked me not to throw it away if I didn't like it.
It looks like someone scratched their name on the dial, but this one is a runner! Just in need of a nicer dial.
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Silver

An honourable mention goes to this one.
Watch Analog watch Body jewelry Clock Font

I can't even remember where this re-dial came from. Another bundle no doubt.

Lastly, I have this runner also. Very much like Odessa200's in the opening post, but not in as good condition.
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Font

It was purchase as a "Red 12" and I used the dial elsewhere. I was thinking of using this set, but don't like the hands.
Watch Amber Clock Wood Circle

However, looking about here, I see that my old Zim's deserve some love.
I'll keep my eye out for a few more "bundles". I might end up with some worthy dials. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, you know this is right up my alley, with my admiration for the 2602 movement and all! My latest buy was this 1980s model. Barebones, sans the super-funky "port window" case and fantastic dial design with yet another funny 12, but more than serviceable as a daily beater. No doubt what ZiM themselves intended!

·
Registered
107 Posts
A while ago I could not ignore this ZIM, for only a few bucks, a completely new and unused watch. I have bought it mainly because it came as what we call today a "full set" with all the paperwork (stamped) from VE Foreign Trade , sold in the 80` in East Germany. I would say it belongs to the rather beautiful category.

But to me it seems a bit confusing, this watch with its "stone-age" handwind movement without shock protection, was imported to East Germany with its own strong watch industry in the 1980`s.
The smart guys already were crazy for digital watches, otherwise Glashütte Automatic or Quarz for a "man of importance" and maybe Ruhla for the ordinary Joe . . .

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A while ago I could not ignore this ZIM, for only a few bucks, a completely new and unused watch. I have bought it mainly because it came as what we call today a "full set" with all the paperwork (stamped) from VE Foreign Trade , sold in the 80` in East Germany. I would say it belongs to the rather beautiful category.

View attachment 16100175

But to me it seems a bit confusing, this watch with its "stone-age" handwind movement without shock protection, was imported to East Germany with its own strong watch industry in the 1980`s.
The smart guys already were crazy for digital watches, otherwise Glashütte Automatic or Quarz for a "man of importance" and maybe Ruhla for the ordinary Joe . . .
Very nice find - I have a similar one, but slightly used and unfortunately with a crack in the glass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts