WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t find an existing thread, so let’s see your leather straps on your 39mm Explorer here!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It’s funny you mention this because I generally detest any non-Rolex aftermarket rubber-leather-nato straps on their watches.....ESPECIALLY Subs & Sea-Dwellers.
However, the Explorer-I looks great on all of the above!
There are tons of pictures if you use google/images.
You can’t go wrong with any style or color.
(I get my watches wet throughout the day so it doesn’t work for me)

·
Premium Member
✠7900V | ♕116500
2,402 Posts
This is going to be an interesting thread. I recently acquired a 214270 and I think a leather or a rubber strap would look awesome on it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What are your thoughts on vintage leather straps on Rolex sport models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
Love of nice pics- I really love the Explorer I. I’m sure this will be my next Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I love vintage style straps on mine.

Agreed with WastedYears, the strap eating tendency is a major downer. It stems from the sharp lower edges at 6 and 12 o'clock designed to take the lower lip of the bracelet endlink. The problem is it is rather sharp and exacerbated by being deeply brushed vertically so it presents a serrated edge almost like a miniature steak knife. This can be overcome by using straps that are relatively thin and wraps tight, not loose around the springbar so the strap isn't allowed to move around too much and contact the edge.

I wanted to use thicker straps so came up with this solution using a bit of thin aluminium tape:

Ring Fashion accessory Finger Jewellery Hand

This worked very well but I wanted a permanent fix so I decided to blunt the sharp edge using a small stainless steel teaspoon, rolling over it and pressing the handle over it and sliding in a side to side motion. This worked quite well, is invisible to the eye and anyway at a part of the watch that would eventually show signs of wear from the bracelet endlink. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On an Everest strap.

I quit putting it on other leather straps because the sharp edges of the case tend to eat into the strap as demonstrated by this pic:

Thank you for your post. Do you have pics of other angles of the Everest?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I also noticed the sharp edge eating into straps. A solution that works for me is to use curved spring bars. This will often give enough clearance to the strap to avoid the edge.

I quit putting it on other leather straps because the sharp edges of the case tend to eat into the strap as demonstrated by this pic:

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
It tore up the leather strap I put on it and the lug sliced the threads on the side so mine went back on the bracelet. I don’t want to mess with it too much so I leave it on a bracelet. But if there is a strap that fits without eating it I am in. Particularly in a vintage style. So far even my thinnest strap was cut up.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
It tore up the leather strap I put on it and the lug sliced the threads on the side so mine went back on the bracelet. I don't want to mess with it too much so I leave it on a bracelet. But if there is a strap that fits without eating it I am in. Particularly in a vintage style. So far even my thinnest strap was cut up.

Don't completely give up on straps if you like the look.

As I mentioned earlier, for the Explorer and I think most Rolex you need straps that grip tight on the springbar, anything too loose will allow movement and let leather scrape against the edge to get eaten up. Being a total strap hound I have dozens of leather straps I play around with on all my watches, I found some slightly thinner vintage style straps up to 2-3mm thick can work well but something like the 4-5mm thick Hirsh Liberty is way too thick around the springbar and will get eaten up in no time. Thinner Hirsh are no problem, right now I have a Hirsh 'Forest' buffalo strap on my Explorer that clears the edge by a good margin and never touches. Hirsh performance straps like my 'Arne' couatchouc/sailcloth hybrid strap are also no problem but my Hirsh 'Mariner' is a bit loose at the springbar allowing movement and some contact/scraping while the Hirsh Heavy Calf model is too thick around the springbar despite gripping well.

There are so many strap variations from so many brands, the downside is you won't know 100% for sure if it works on the Explorer until you try.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts