1 - 20 of 4694 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great stuff Tom, 960 and 350!

By the way you probably know why the 350 has swivelled lugs :)
Feel free to learn me something :-d

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Ahhh...

When Vostok was working on the Amphibia project they had not worked with stainless steel before, only brass. Brass is a really nice material to machine, with the right kind of cutting tool it takes only one pass to shape it. Stainless steel on the other hand, is much trickier, while being hard it is more brittle as well. The earlier tests on machining stainless steel ended up with the lugs falling off, so they resorted to having lugs added to the case. Later on, they discovered that they could indeed machine watchcases with regular lugs, but they had to cut in multiple passes: basically, cutting off smaller amounts of material every pass. Compared to brass which needs one pass of the cutting tool, stainless steel needs twelve.

When I was doing metal machining (both lathe and milling machine) many years ago I did try different materials; brass and steel are nice to work on, aluminium is very "sticky" and clogs up the cutting tools quickly, but working titanium is a little less fun than hitting my own head with a hammer repeatedly!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ahhh...

When Vostok was working on the Amphibia project they had not worked with stainless steel before, only brass. Brass is a really nice material to machine, with the right kind of cutting tool it takes only one pass to shape it. Stainless steel on the other hand, is much trickier, while being hard it is more brittle as well. The earlier tests on machining stainless steel ended up with the lugs falling off, so they resorted to having lugs added to the case. Later on, they discovered that they could indeed machine watchcases with regular lugs, but they had to cut in multiple passes: basically, cutting off smaller amounts of material every pass. Compared to brass which needs one pass of the cutting tool, stainless steel needs twelve.

When I was doing metal machining (both lathe and milling machine) many years ago I did try different materials; brass and steel are nice to work on, aluminium is very "sticky" and clogs up the cutting tools quickly, but working titanium is a little less fun than hitting my own head with a hammer repeatedly!
Yes, now I remember. One of our members of the Dutch Watch Forum posted this article from a Russian forum in 2009:

http://timeway.ru/articles/na_sushe_i_na_more/

It is a nice article about the development of the Amphibia watches.
I tried to read it with Google Translation :-d. Great fun!
Maybe somebody is willing to translate it in good English.

·
Registered
664 Posts
1 - 20 of 4694 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.