WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking our members of the F-10 to post your specialty tools you made
or the re purposing of existing tools to make watch building easier.
Here are mine.........

1 - Case Back Tool for Polishing the Crystal and Finishing the Case.

2 - Winding Tool

3 - Crown Stem Insertion Tool for Komanderskies.

4 - Bezel Tool

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know this is sounds crazy, but what is F10? I have quite few members on here said I should be part of F10 but I haven’t thought about what they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Russian Forum Is the F-10 so you are a part of the F-10 Comrade(y)

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Russian Forum Is the F-10 so you are a part of the F-10 Comrade(y)
Oh I see. Okay thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am posting a tool for fixturing a dial face so It can be reduced in diameter.
It is basically a stripped down 24XX movement center section with a metal shaft silver soldered into the middle of it and then fixed into a pin vise, I found some piano wire of the right diameter and soldered it into the middle of the center section, then chucked it into the pin vise and applied a generous layer of J&B weld to stabilize the movement center to the nose of the pin vise.
The pin vise can then be chucked into a drill or drill press and a Dremel (moto) tool with an abrasive attachment is used to remove material while it is rotating in the drill or drill press.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I've made quite a few custom things to assist in repairing and owning clocks and watches. Here are two links to posts describing those specific to Russian ones.

I've not yet posted about the jigs I've made for making notched straps, or the various movement holders and other general home-made tools.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for posting your tools, I wish I had a case back opener like that one, Very nice.
I would also like to see the jigs and holders you have made as well,
thanks for sharing ned-ludd and best regards, James.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It is self explanatory, the compass is about 1/4" taller than the watch, pass it over the watch if the Compass deflects then....... No bueno Senor. I think having the Compass fixed on feet makes it more repeatable.
Half time for the Superbowl gotta go, regards, James.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
....a tool for fixturing a dial face so It can be reduced in diameter.
It is basically a stripped down 24XX movement center section with a metal shaft silver soldered into the middle of it and then fixed into a pin vise......
James,
Do you have photos or more info. of this shaft that is soldered?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This is not a tool that I made but I thought perhaps it qualifies for this thread.??

It is an ordinary plastic tire / tyre lever for bicycles.
The only alteration I made was that the sharp corners of the front lip were rounded and the lip itself was sharpened and made thinner.

It was sent to me by our very own jimzilla as a bezel removing tool.
James, you are a true asset to this forum.

photo: mine (anyone may use it freely)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(y) That's a good idea! I did not think of trying the tire lever tool on crystal rings, one point for you Matt.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All done Matt I added to my dial face fixture tool post with more text and an extra pic.
Have a good one my friend, James.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hello comrades I have another tip for polishing the plastic crystals. I use Polywatch but instead of cutting a small piece of cloth and rubbing the crystal back and forth with my finger I buy the Polywatch kit that comes with the polishing cloth and cut a piece and place it on a silicone pad they use for hot melt glue guns. You can apply more pressure this way and get a better finish with less effort. When you get as old and crusty as jimzilla is you will appreciate this tip! ;)
You can use rubber pads or anything else that provides a cushion that is non abrasive to put the polishing cloth on. Then just add the Polywatch to the cloth.
Alot of people do not like the polishing cloth the Polywatch kit comes with but I do not find anything wrong with it.
When I am done with the polishing cloth I fold it up, place it in a small ziploc and it is ready for the next crystal.

Surebonder Round Glue Gun Pad, 4 Inches, Green

Best regards, James.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
While we are on the subject of polishing I do not know how many of you are aware of the foam polishing pads?
They are 1" in diameter and come in a variety of foam densities. They are used in auto detailing but work GREAT for polishing plastic crystals and polishing watch cases as well!. I use them with various polishing compounds to get clarity back to the crystal after getting out the deeper scratches or after having to sand the crystals with sand paper. I use them on the inside and edges of the crystal as well. They are used as an attachment on a moto tool.
Use very low speed on the moto tool, too many RPM'S will create heat and damage the crystal.
I will include a couple of links as well.

Amazon.com: SHINA 150pcs 1 Inch 25mm Buff Polishing Polisher Pad Kit with 1pc M6 Backer Plate for Car Polisher: Automotive

1 Inch Hook and Loop Sanding Pad for Sanding Discs with 1/8" Shank Drill Attachment Polishing Abrasive Tools Electric Grinder Accessories: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Mini Buffing Polishing Pads, 16Pcs Mini Detail Polisher Pads Use On Rotary Tools,Cordless electric drill, Mini Polisher Tool for Tight Area Detailing Polishing Waxing And Sealing Glaze -HTDEPMIXUS: Automotive

Best regards, James.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts