2,945 Posts
Freshly received ....

View attachment 14247235

And some pics provided by the previous owner

View attachment 14247163
View attachment 14247165
View attachment 14247167
View attachment 14247169

A big big thank you to a very nice, friendly & helpful Bulgarian member for enabling me to finally complete the 3017 familly

View attachment 14247217
Congratulations comrade - that is a lovely example of the ‘59 (2nd dial variant) but I think you are missing a few in your family photo 😁

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Congratulations comrade - that is a lovely example of the ‘59 (2nd dial variant) but I think you are missing a few in your family photo
Sorry, I meant my own little 3017 collection. Oh yes, you are so right, they are many many more dials variations (at least 20 major + obscure «.Titan.» , French variations etc ... etc ? ) but this pattern was the last major type I was after and it will have to do for me & my budget ... so many more Soviets watches I fancy ;-)

I thought that Mdl was the 1st one ? Can you tell me more please ?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Thanks VM for the explanations & taking time to post those photos Ham2. Without it would be difficult for le to appreciate the subtle difference !! What a great forum & great members :)

variants 1 and 2 of the 1959 dial differ only in the thickness of the hour numbers and slope of the subdials; the earlier variant 1 had thicker numbers and less steep slope than later variant 2

·
Registered
2,748 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Here is my Strela Poljot Cal. 3017
I received it 2 days ago and it is realy a beautiful watch
Both are really good. Here is mine in black. I have a nagging question that I cannot find an answer to. Maybe you guys can help me. Look at the Chromo Minute counter dial. It has special longer marks for 3, 6, and 9 mins. Why? What was the owner of the watch measure that happens at such intervals? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Brand new 40mm Strela in today! and yes, i have committed the abomination of pairing it with an apollo nasa strap from kizzi :p (yes, it's ok if you wanna grab the forks and chase me :)) ). But it looks and feels really awesome! also, if anyone has any suggestions where i can find the counter of the nasa straps (russian types one i mean, used by cosmonauts) i will gladly follow the directions :).
View attachment 14202095
Hi there, I spotted that you have silver hands on your sub-dials. How come? Did you mod it yourself? Please let me know, thanks.
BY the way, the sub-dials look waaaaaay better now

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm waiting for my first 3017 to arrive in th mail. Can explain the purpose of different brands like Strela and Poljot in both Crylic and English? I understand Sekonda is for UK export so are all the English Poljot for export as well? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I'm waiting for my first 3017 to arrive in th mail. Can explain the purpose of different brands like Strela and Poljot in both Crylic and English? I understand Sekonda is for UK export so are all the English Poljot for export as well? Thanks.
Great watch. Different labels: it is just marketing strategies. Sekonda: yes, special soviet-owned brand that was primarily for UK market. Different watches were sold under this brand. Poljot: it is the Полет brand made for export across the globe. Quality wise: all the same.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great watch. Different labels: it is just marketing strategies. Sekonda: yes, special soviet-owned brand that was primarily for UK market. Different watches were sold under this brand. Poljot: it is the Полет brand made for export across the globe. Quality wise: all the same.
Only the original Cyrillic Strela was military issue, correct? The rest are for marketed to public?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Only the original Cyrillic Strela was military issue, correct? The rest are for marketed to public?
The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.
If they are not release to general public, why was marketing needed with all these different brand names when it was only issued for avaiation/military? There was an appeal for Latin watches amongst the high ranking officials and pilots?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If they are not release to general public, why was marketing needed with all these different brand names when it was only issued for avaiation/military? There was an appeal for Latin watches amongst the high ranking officials and pilots?
I would guess they were making them for export to earn some $. Remember, Soviet currency was not freely traded and for certain things USSR needed a freely convertible currency.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Don’t think I ever posted an update on this thread of my 1967 white 3017

Before:

After my watch guy had done his magic:

I bought it with semi-opaque crystal, jammed chrono and painted hands
But I spotted that the dial was unfaded and the case really crisp
Thought it was worth buying at low cost, fixing up, then selling if the style was too ornate for me (it is :)

It took several trips to my watch guy to eliminate all the bugs in the chrono: my suspicion is that the watch picked up a fault in its early days and spent most of its career in a sock drawer

But it turned out beautifully, and restored to full working life

221 - 240 of 276 Posts