·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Don’t think I ever posted an update on this thread of my 1967 white 3017

Before:

After my watch guy had done his magic:

I bought it with semi-opaque crystal, jammed chrono and painted hands
But I spotted that the dial was unfaded and the case really crisp
Thought it was worth buying at low cost, fixing up, then selling if the style was too ornate for me (it is

It took several trips to my watch guy to eliminate all the bugs in the chrono: my suspicion is that the watch picked up a fault in its early days and spent most of its career in a sock drawer

But it turned out beautifully, and restored to full working life
Indeed a great decision to get it!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.
This was common belief until a few years ago, but is most likely a myth.
Actually, as of today official documentation confirming this theory has yet to surface; while as a matter of fact the chronograph appears on the catalog by V.Vinogradov (printed for the general public) in 1960: that is, just a few months after its release.

Also worth remembering the Vostokintorg catalog (believed to have been printed in 1960, too) where, altough we lack the corresponding image, the Cyrillic-branded Cтрела is described in Russian text with French translation side by side: hard to explain the presence of a watch supposedly unavailable to the free market on a publication meant for export...

By the way: the earliest and much rarer Sekonda-branded 3017, with plain (no-telemeter scale) dial and Serif font, should have been marketed in the mid-60s already; in any case, the later and more common version with telemeter scale is listed on the 1968 Sekonda catalog as "Model 69" with a price tag of £16.19.6.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The 1st Strela was made in 1959 and was given to pilots, cosmonauts and high ranking officials. Then in 1964 1mchz is renamed to Poljot and this watch is released under new name. In the early 70s it is released as Poljot (in latin) and then as Полет and still not available to general population (limited to special distribution to scientists, party leaders, etc). In the late 70s it comes as Seconda and finally enough was produced and they are available in regular stores for everyone.
This was common belief until a few years ago, but is most likely a myth.
Actually, as of today official documentation confirming this theory has yet to surface; while as a matter of fact the chronograph appears on the catalog by V.Vinogradov (printed for the general public) in 1960: that is, just a few months after its release.

Also worth remembering the Vostokintorg catalog (believed to have been printed in 1960, too) where, altough we lack the corresponding image, the Cyrillic-branded Cтрела is described in Russian text with French translation side by side: hard to explain the presence of a watch supposedly unavailable to the free market on a publication meant for export...

By the way: the earliest and much rarer Sekonda-branded 3017, with plain (no-telemeter scale) dial and Serif font, should have been marketed in the mid-60s already; in any case, the later and more common version with telemeter scale is listed on the 1968 Sekonda catalog as "Model 69" with a price tag of £16.19.6.
I do not have enough facts to argue one way or another. My theory is that there is not contradiction that much. The USSR economy pretty much through all the years exhibited severe shortages of pretty much everything. Not always and not at the same time. I remember shortages of salt, matches, cigarets, etc. not to mentions shortages of TVs, refrigerators, furniture,... It well may be that on the paper (catalogs) such watches were in available for sale but in reality no one ever saw them. Common way to deal with such shortages was to distribute products via organizations. A factory would get X units of a product in demand and X units of something that no one wants (a book ‘written’ by a party leader for example). Best people in this organization would be offered to buy both products 🙂 This is how such books would get millions of copies to be sold making their authors happy 🙂 Miracles of the governorship controlled economy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am now more confused about the history of the 3017. Based on catalogue every single watch was available for purchase domestic and export. Also, different brands were used for military/space use as well.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I am now more confused about the history of the 3017. Based on catalogue every single watch was available for purchase domestic and export. Also, different brands were used for military/space use as well.
I think we need to differentiate theory from reality. What you describe is true: in theory 3017 was available to people. This is not a weapon or special military device that absolutely was limited to people in uniform. In reality, these were not found in stores. Having it in the catalog means the intend was to sell them. Different brands: yes, not only watches were rebranded. In the 50s and 60s the watch factories were re-branded. It was a boom for soviet watch industry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Comrades,

I am also interested in getting a Strela, i would like one of the models with the "СТРЕЛА" dial, but not the very early versions with the more blank dial, i am more into the type like the one in the photo (would you say that this is a newer replacement dial or can this particular one be original?)

What are your experiences?
- Which websites would you recommend?
- What price level do you consider realistic?

Regards and thanks for any hint.
Josef

Attachments

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Hello Josef,

your potential watch ... I am no expert but compare the thicker indices with Kermit’s specimen in the previous post, IMO the dial is fake. The crown is replaced (often the case) & the late case does not match the time frame of that type of dial. The hands look ok but the upper pusher looks suspect . Personally, I would not buy it .

No biggy to me, but, I think this section is reserved/dedicated to post watches already in your collection . You will find a section dedicated to get ID/opinions on watch(es) you are considering and where all the 3017 lovers will be very happy to help you acquiring a nice specimen.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hello Josef,

your potential watch ... I am no expert but compare the thicker indices with Kermit’s specimen in the previous post, IMO the dial is fake. The crown is replaced (often the case) & the late case does not match the time frame of that type of dial. The hands look ok but the upper pusher looks suspect . Personally, I would not buy it .

No biggy to me, but, I think this section is reserved/dedicated to post watches already in your collection . You will find a section dedicated to get ID/opinions on watch(es) you are considering and where all the 3017 lovers will be very happy to help you acquiring a nice specimen.
Agee on all the above. Fake. But we all wish we can find such great originals.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Comrades,

after weeks of waiting for the needed spare parts i can show you the newest piece of my collection:

I bought it online from Slovakia for a real bargain price because the seller said it was defunct since the crown and winding stem were loose and could not be tightened at all.

The problem was that the part No. 443 was broken completely and the screw holding it also was defunct.
I could find that spare part in original packaging online (in Australia), replaced everything yesterday and gave it some new oil too.
The watch works perfectly now, also the stopwatch and reset of the pointer are exact.

As for the optics, the watch looked pretty used when i bought it (as you can see in the picture). However, polishing the crystal and a very tender cleaning of the dial was all it needed.
I think it looks really nice and the old watch strap fits perfectly.

Something new i learned was that the "КЛ 1" on the dial, written below the 19-jewels-mark, is a sign that this movement underwent special testing for precision (thanks to "sovietwatchmuseum" on instagram, i highly recommend you to have a look at the collection there).
I was curious about who owned this special exemplar. Unfortunately the eBay seller could only say that it was previously worn by a Czechoslovak army colonel, but who knows exactly which road this watch has taken since the 60s...

Anyways, i really am happy about having found this Strela, and for a good price.
I don't want to keep it stored in a box but really wear it in daily life. Of course i will treat it carefully and preserve it but still, I never saw the point of having watches that are too expensive or rare to really use them in the way they were initially intended to be used.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
My Strela Cosmos CO40CYB-AW on a Vario Forest Green full grain Italian leather strap.

Untitled.png

241 - 260 of 276 Posts