WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up with 17j Poljot dress watch. At first glance I thought it was a franken but with a closer look the crystal was obviously made for this case. And, while the dial is square-ish, the hour indices on the dial follow the circle of the crystal. The theme of "round peg in a square hole" is even repeated on the case back.

Anyone have any other variations or deviations from the standard crystal they'd like to show?

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice mroatman. Smoothed on the sides, sharper at top and bottom to match the case. I imagine sleeve cuffs slide more easily over the smoothed side. I wonder how many of these designs were for visual or tactile aesthetics and what thinking was behind them.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I imagine sleeve cuffs slide more easily over the smoothed side.
Poster's note: This is all completely OT, as all I have are standard crystal shapes...

Great observation, Gravit! I actually laughed when I read it, because it is the one thing that I would have never thought of in a million years. I can probably count the number of times I have worn a shirt with cuffs, or with sleeves, or with buttons in the last 10 years on less than both hands. But this is why I love this forum and the f10 page in particular. Where else can you get people from such wildly diverse social and economic standings who have nothing else in common together to discuss the one thing that they love?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
There's also the original Saturn with an interesting date-magnifier position that completes the planetary theme. Too bad these crystals are usually replaced or, when available, badly crazed.

This one belongs to our very own watch22:

View attachment 8423746

My bubbles. Only Saturn remains in the collection. Trivia: Saturn day on dial changes every 12 hours so each day graphic appears twice in a row around the day wheel. At least that was the way it was on mine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts