WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

In your opinon, which Kobold defines the brand?

• Polar Surveyour

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Polar Surveyor "Sir Ranulph"

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Phantom

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Phantom Tactical

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • SEAL

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • SEAL Tactical

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Soarway Diver

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • SMG-1

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • SMG-1 Tactical

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Spirit of America

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Sir Ernest Shackleton

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Endurance II

Votes: 2 1.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While no doubt it's clear from past statements I've made, I'll reiterate my opinion that the SEAL is the de facto "signature" Kobold, in that it is the most unique and individualistic model in the line up (IMO, of course...). To my eyes, nothing else on the market looks like it, and the fact that it's not for everyone only adds to its appeal (the Phantom Tactical is close runner-up, though).

As for the "ultimate" Kobold, I feel that award would have to go to the Polar Surveyour by virtue of its unique complications. Still, in terms of "signature" design, while both the PS and the PT feature the Soarway case, they are too reminiscent of their Sinn forebears for me to view them as the epitome of Kobold design. The SMG-1 and SOA score better in that department.

Mind you, at the end of the day, this is entirely subjective. Everyone has their favorite, and everyone has entirely valid reasons for choosing that particular model. Frankly, if I could own one of each, I would.

So, where does everyone else stand?

Regards,
Adam

PS - With respect to the poll, "Defines the brand" means whatever you want it to mean. It can mean the most iconic design, the most unique complications, the one with the most history...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I absolutly agree that the the Seal is the signature Kobold watch. I wouldn't get in a fist fight over it because afterall we are only talking about watches. Gotta love that Seal though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've voted for the Seal (I own one), but love my Endurance II. However, if I could swing it I would get a Phantom Tactical and a SMG-1also, so I guess you could say that I really cannot make up my mind!

Nah, it's the Seal for me.

James

·
Banned
675 Posts
i voted for the polar surveyour--never had one though. Have a soarway diver and an e2--but the PS just seems the epitome of adnenture. still want my seal back--some sunny day
john

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
SEAL Tactical as the signature watch (which I believe is how Mike described it to me when I ordered mine).

Steve

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wow. This is hard, as the seal is the obvious. So many looks, and such a passion. Nothing like it.

However, the "explorer" series comes to mind - as the spirit of adventure. That opens up the shackleton (very very very underated) and the PS - either the "base" or the Sir Ranulph (I will even put the cousteau in this category) - lets call it the "three amigos - shackelton, sir ranulph and cousteau. The PS - original does more than any watch on the market - and defines adventure. It was also one of the real breakthrus for Mike.

The tacticals - SMGs, Phantoms...hmmm

So Seal vs PS Sir R...hmmm...flip a coin? No how about what any red-blooded american would do. Ask his wife. So I walked over to the wife (who first asked when did you get these) with the seal (Ti on an orange zulu) and the PS Sir R...and hands down, the PS. So got to go with that.

Although if you make me pic out the "Trifecta of kobold":
seal, PS and SMG

(runners up - phantom, shackleton)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.