WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a minor pet peeve of mine (obviously not enough to dissuade me from buying) when the signature on the crown is off kilter when fully screwed down. Out of the 5 watches I own with signed screw down crowns, only 2 line up. And one of them is just because I got lucky when installing an aftermarket crown.
Clearly this isn't an issue of price range as the only one I bought that was properly aligned was my Vostok Neptune. In fact, the most poorly aligned is my AT! I know there has to be some reasoning as to why they don't line up, and maybe I am the only person it bothers.
Either way, how many of yours line up? Am I in the minority or majority here?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I've never even noticed or thought it was a thing that should "line up". Checking the DB Military Diver on my wrist right now and I can't tell without my reading glasses which way it's pointing. LOL

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
After a cursory look ...... so far zero of mine are perfectly aligned. Great, now you’ve added another level of detail for my brain to get OCD over that will forever drive me nuts ..... thanks 😞

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a cursory look ...... so far zero of mine are perfectly aligned. Great, now you’ve added another level of detail for my brain to get OCD over that will forever drive me nuts ..... thanks 😞
Haha you're welcome. At least now I am not alone! I just remember my first watch with a signed screw down crown was the Vostok, which aligned. Between that and most promotional material, I just assumed that is how it was supposed to be. Imagine my surprise when I drop the cash for the omega and it is at a 45° angle!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It's always bugged me. I feel like that can be controlled with correct machining and generally giving a crap.

My Tudor Pelagos lines up, my AT doesn't and my Nighthawk doesn't, but it gets a pass because it was $200. Not sure if the Pelagos is a coincidence or not.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's always bugged me. I feel like that can be controlled with correct machining and generally giving a crap.

My Tudor Pelagos lines up, my AT doesn't and my Nighthawk doesn't, but it gets a pass because it was $200. Not sure if the Pelagos is a coincidence or not.
Man, it really does look great when it lines up though. That Tudor is a perfect example.

·
Vendor
27,724 Posts
It's not a QC or machining issue.

Decorations added to the crown and caseback are done without any regard for the location of the treads starting. Likewise, the crown screws onto a threaded case-tube, itself married to the case without regard to the orientation of the threads on the crown.

If you get a crown with a logo which stops perfectly "right side up", it's pure luck, nothing more.

Stop obsessing over things that can't be controlled. We're dealing with parts made by machine, and assembled by hand. Perfection is not the standard.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Just looked at the casebacks and while there are a few exceptions mostly only the Amphibia's are perfectly straight regardless of price .... and thats because they are compressor style backs, not screwdown. Its never really bothered me, but if I can get them just right when I open them to regulate (auto's obviously) than I try to get them straight. MOST but not all of my quartz are off anywhere from a little to a lot .... surprisingly the ones that came just right are a Casio and two Wenger's.

Same for casebacks. Just looks off.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not a QC or machining issue.

Decorations added to the crown and caseback are done without any regard for the location of the treads starting. Likewise, the crown screws onto a threaded case-tube, itself married to the case without regard to the orientation of the threads on the crown.

If you get a crown with a logo which stops perfectly "right side up", it's pure luck, nothing more.

Stop obsessing over things that can't be controlled. We're dealing with parts made by machine, and assembled by hand. Perfection is not the standard.
I had a feeling this was the case. It is way too much work/QC to thread on every single crown and mark where it needs to be engraved prior to engraving on every single watch. I fully understand that now. . . But when my first one was perfectly aligned, on a Vostok no less, you can understand my surprise when my Omega wasn't! Upon more and more purchases, I realized that wasn't a realistic expectation. Not complaining or letting it bother me, just an observation.

·
Registered
642 Posts
QC or not, there is still the observation/habit to have the crowns nicely aligned in product photography. Which might create the implied expectation that crowns should line up. That being said, I got 2 Tudors that line up, but 4 more that don't. Other than that, my Dagaz Thunderbolt lines up too, but I got 5 more screw downs that don't line up then. Luck of the draw!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
My aquaracer is tight when the logo is level, I had an earlier model that lined up level also. I had an aqua terra that alighned properly too so I guess I've had good ones :)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My aquaracer is tight when the logo is level, I had an earlier model that lined up level also. I had an aqua terra that alighned properly too so I guess I've had good ones :)
That reminded me of one more I have that I didn't check! Unfortunately, my F1 isn't aligned either. You sir have been lucky. Like I said before, it isn't a deal breaker at all, but it sure is nice when you get one that lines up! Just like a seiko chapter ring lol(which actually is poor QC, but still doesn't stop me).

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
Wow, this never crossed my mind. Looking at my Sinn now and I guess it does not line up...(is it even supposed to)? Meh, don't care

1 - 20 of 44 Posts