WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing this watch, just waiting on the right deal....

I was curious, on the America released model, according to watchreport.com, the only change on this model vs the Japanese only model was that they added Fahrenheit in the temperature settings. There was conflicting news on that site however of members not knowing where that adjustment is.

Can someone confirm that it does indeed have that ability on the USA released model? Also, what are the long term reviews for those that have owned it for awhile, I know Bluegum loves his, the module seems like one of the best out there, and it sound like the fit would be good.....

Thanks in advance :-!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm not sure there was a version that could do fahrenheit, but don't quote me.

The temp guage is very accurate off wrist I found. I was actually using to measure ambient temps and fridge temps for a while.

The only flaws for mine are the difficult (due to the plastic surround) to read moon graph which is a very accurate 8 segment display, and the 60min CDT...but Casio never make a perfect G do they. The silencer is a classic and distinctive G with a very cool display. Some people don't like the shape, but then some don't like the Frog's shape either. If you like it Doug, it's a worthy buy for a G-Shocker.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I can't speak to whether or not there is a US based model with a farhenheit temperature indicator. One way to find out is if you do come across a US Version, find out what the module number is and then go to the Casio website to look at the module PDF and see if there truly is a fahrenheit display.

Being a long time owner of a few GW-400's, I can tell you that it's still a favorite G of mine. The size, the way it fits on the wrist and its functions are all reasons why. Some of the variations are quite cool too.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I can't speak to whether or not there is a US based model with a farhenheit temperature indicator. One way to find out is if you do come across a US Version, find out what the module number is and then go to the Casio website to look at the module PDF and see if there truly is a fahrenheit display.

Being a long time owner of a few GW-400's, I can tell you that it's still a favorite G of mine. The size, the way it fits on the wrist and its functions are all reasons why. Some of the variations are quite cool too.

oooo, those a beaut. wondering why they are on Seikos stand ;-)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine displays in celsius only and I don't remember anybody saying that theirs will display in F. I also knew that in advance and I like this model for all its features.

Ben

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I did read an article that said there was a North American model that read in Fahrenheit (scroll down to read the review on the Silencer):

http://www.watchreport.com/casio/

I have never heard of the North American model & was never able to find any listings for one. Must have been a rare bird, or one that died on the drawing board. To my knowledge (albeit limited), there was only the model that had Celsius temperature readings. Not to worry though; if you want Fahrenheit readings, take (Celsius X 2) + 32 = very close to Fahrenheit readings in the normal temperature range. Obviously the further you go away from 32 Fahrenheit, the more inaccurate the calculation.

·
Registered
803 Posts
All of mine are Celsius. I've never seen one that wasn't, but I wouldn't rule it out.
I think the American version is a myth. I researched this when I was looking to buy one, and other than what the watchreport site said, there's nobody out there on the big wide interweb who has seen a Farhenheit version.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I had a look in the manual I downloaded in English, and there's nothing in there about toggling between Celcius and Fahrenheit.

I think the fact that a lot lf US people bought despite this says it all though. b-)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
To me Fahrenheit doesn't make a lick of sense.

Let's look at the differences:

0 Celsius = water freezes
100 Celsius = water boils

or

0 Fahrenheit = ?
100 farenheit = ?

·
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your help and Feedback guys, definitely sold on this one. I guess the ultimate question really is though....

Whats the difference between the GW-400J and the GW-400J-1JF

That Watchreport article said the 1JF model is the US Release model, and basically that was the one that was supposed to display F-Temp. It's something I can get over really quick.

Basically if you grow up being shown F-Temp all your life, when they say it's foing to be 90 degrees and very hot, you know how hot its going to be....when they bring up Celcius...because I never ever used that mode of temperature, I have no clue what it would be. I am however going to learn myself the differences now that I will have incentive ;-)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for all your help and Feedback guys, definitely sold on this one. I guess the ultimate question really is though....

Whats the difference between the GW-400J and the GW-400J-1JF

That Watchreport article said the 1JF model is the US Release model, and basically that was the one that was supposed to display F-Temp. It's something I can get over really quick.

Basically if you grow up being shown F-Temp all your life, when they say it's foing to be 90 degrees and very hot, you know how hot its going to be....when they bring up Celcius...because I never ever used that mode of temperature, I have no clue what it would be. I am however going to learn myself the differences now that I will have incentive ;-)
Hello Amigo!
I should have known that when you're away from WUS forum for so long is 'cause you're hunting a new treasure;-):-!. If you like, i would be honored to help you with converting to Celcius. Here in Brazil everything is about Celcius; lots of it must say...:-d BTW, the silencer is a nice catch; another huge monster for your team!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Doug, I was searching last night too, and I couldn't find a model with Imperial units for the readings. I was looking for it because I knew you wanted one, but no dice. :think:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
As Sherms mentioned...it's actually easy to adapt to Celcius...

0 = freezing
100 = boiling
37 = human body temp

With just those three figures in your head, you'll automatically start to fill in all the adjuments for converting F temps.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
To me Fahrenheit doesn't make a lick of sense.
Let's look at the differences:
0 Celsius = water freezes
100 Celsius = water boils
or
0 Fahrenheit = ?
100 farenheit = ?
You think that makes no sense, how about chains, rod pole or perches, furlongs, pounds shillings and pence, pounds and ounces ...... all were specifically designed to totally bemuse young children at school. :-d

But hey, why don't we decimalise the clocks while we are at it too 100 seconds to the minute, 100 minutes to the hour, it would make life loads easier ......:-x:-x:-x ...... :-d

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You think that makes no sense, how about chains, rod pole or perches, furlongs, pounds shillings and pence, pounds and ounces ...... all were specifically designed to totally bemuse young children at school. :-d

But hey, why don't we decimalise the clocks while we are at it too 100 seconds to the minute, 100 minutes to the hour, it would make life loads easier ......:-x:-x:-x ...... :-d

Ya know, I've been trying to figure out a metric clock for some time. But real metric is in 10's. It seems like we would need 4 sets so a 'second' is a reasonable length of time. Also, it would make it more difficult to split the day into thirds, as is pretty common. Then, I would have to replace all of my watches, and that just wouldn't do. So.....:think:

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,452 Posts
In some companies working time is measuered in "industrial" minutes.
100 industrial minutes=1h.
I had to calculate with these strange values, it was a mess and full of converting errors.
So i get the point of the US poeple if they dont want to change the system they are used to for a long time.

Anyhow, wirstwatch temperature sensors are only working correctly if the watch is not worn (body temperature influence).
So why you should care for a not correct temperature shown in °C or °F?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Do you have all of them :) ?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Swatch tried, years ago, an "Internet Time". I remember having a digital watch that displayed it. Nobody knew then (nor know) what was "Internet Time".

The Tower of Babel exists since our very cultural begginings because, in my humble opinion, we human beings are like a symphonic orchestra: Every sound counts and is necessary. Plurality is always a good thing, I think, even if it now and then has its complications. |>

·
Registered
544 Posts

It looks like a chunky watch with an oldschool G-Shock character...very nice! I can't see the point of getting the right (beige-yellow) version...if someone buys the white, it will become exactly like this after 3 years...:-d:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts