WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys

I have done super stupid and put a silver “cleaning” cloth to my stainless steel rolex case and turns out it was a polishing cloth! Damn i wish i looked at stuff more!

As everyone says you shouldnt ever polish a rolex (i dunno why) and now im freakin out that i have rubbed down the case waaaay too much resulting in a thinner lug and therefore uneven lugs... and rounder edges?!

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
The bottom left lug looks thinner than the rest I think. It's hard to see in a photo but up close it might look different.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think you should chill out. You’re seeing ghosts. Anyway, even if there is a problem you would have to post some close ups. These pictures don’t reveal anything.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
If it is an actual polishing cloth, the amount of metal removed will be inconsequential. Nothing to worry about. Does the material feel abrasive (like sandpaper, steel wool or scotchbrite) or smooth and oily?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chill, looks fine to me!

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is no frakkin' way by any laws of physics that your "polishing cloth" thinned any lug on the watch.

You would at the very least have to have used a file or a very aggressive sandpaper product with some great effort to remove any amount of material.

Have you ever seen what effort is required by proper polishing wheels to even slightly polish a case?

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no frakkin' way by any laws of physics that your "polishing cloth" thinned any lug on the watch.

You would at the very least have to have used a file or a very aggressive sandpaper product with some great effort to remove any amount of material.

Have you ever seen what effort is required by proper polishing wheels to even slightly polish a case?

Thankyou for the response! Maybe i am just overthinking this!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it is an actual polishing cloth, the amount of metal removed will be inconsequential. Nothing to worry about. Does the material feel abrasive (like sandpaper, steel wool or scotchbrite) or smooth and oily?
Hey! Yes it was smooth - i wouldnt even say it was oily!

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Relax, it's your psyche playing trics on you, there is no way that a silver polishing cloth removes anything from stainless steel; even with the right polishing paste, it would take a tremendous effort to remove a scratch by hand

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Unsure which "silver" cleaning cloth you used but best cloth for removing superficial scuffs on a polished surface is a Cape Cod cloth that would not remove significant metal. For the most part though, best leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Relax, it's your psyche playing trics on you, there is no way that a silver polishing cloth removes anything from stainless steel; even with the right polishing paste, it would take a tremendous effort to remove a scratch by hand
Thanks! Its appreciated!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts