WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting increasingly close to being able to purchase a Stowa Marine 36 small seconds. I've been smitten by it since the Seoul edition first came out, but there's this question on the back of my head that I should ask before committing any money.

While the lacquered, enamel-like dial of the Marine 36 looks fantastic, I fear it might be a bit too plain. This will be my first white dialled watched and I'm not sure how I'd cope long term with something so... white. One of the things I loved about my C. Ward was the depth and wet-like appearance of its black dial, but I fear the white, while having that same quality, may be too much. I'm also considering one of the silver dial Anteas, the thing is, I really prefer the case shape of the Marine. I'm not a fan of the straight lugs.

Has anyone got any experience handling both the white lacquered and silver finished dials like the Marine Original and Antea KS/B2B Silver? Or even watches like Nomos, Dornbluth, Tourby, etc?

Some photos showcasing the dial differences.

dials.png

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got a marine 36 hand wound without the small seconds. I actually like the simplicity. On such a small watch I don't want it to look too busy.

And the clean dial let's the blued hands stand out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've got both the silver dial MO and the white. I like the white better. I've seen them all at this point. I don't know why, but for me the white is where it is at. The blue hand draw a starker contrast. The high gloss is better than the matte.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I’m a matte person myself. I think it’s more versatile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your thoughts on this, they're most appreciated.

Versatility is not a concern for me, it was more a question of flatness, blandness even.

How easy is it to bring out the blue of the hands when moving the watch around? I think that alone would make me a very happy man.

·
Registered
28,660 Posts
Either color has both it's positive and negative attributes, IMHO.

I like the white for the overall consistent contrast to play off the hand, but that is just an opinion.

Get what most appeals to you and enjoy it. No wrong choice as both Stowas are very nice watches.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I have the silver dial Marine; haven't handled the white. I am very happy with the silver and brushed case. (My silver dial is definitely less grainy/sparkly than the silver dials I've seen on some other watches. It mainly looks creamy/antique white.) The white dials look fantastic too--it is very much personal preference. The blue on the hands can only be seen in certain light and has less to do with the dial than the light and angle as it hits the hands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the silver dial for the way that sunlight plays off of it; it can be creamy or silvery depending on conditions. Something about the white dial reminds me of the old analog clocks at school and I don't care for it as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts