WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm new here on the forum and I've got a question for you knowledgeable watch enthusiasts.

Recently I've been on the hunt for a dive watch to all but replace my fragile Pulsar. The first company I found was RESCO, the Coronado-based watch company begun by a Navy SEAL. I'm currently applying to the United States Naval Academy with the hope that at the end of my four years I will receive a billet to be sent to BUD/s for SEAL training. So, because of the ton of swimming, running, and general outdoorsy type stuff that I do to prepare, I beat the snot out of watches and RESCO appealed to me because of the durability and dive ability. I really like the design and simplicity of the RESCO Patriot and Bullfrog, but the fact that they are limited in quantity and rather steep in price, I cannot currently justify spending so much.

So, the question is stick to you is, is there a watch or a company that makes watches similarly built and styled to the Patriot and Bullfrog at a more reasonable price?

I appreciate your help!

Gadoozle

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Gshock. All the SEALs I had the honor of working with wore them. And trust me, you show up with anything nice to BUDS, you're gonna get a whooping. Even to basic training, not a great idea.

Just a note: Work your ass off starting now. I'm talking brutal training. The key is, its not about muscle mass (You DO have to be strong up to a certain point), its about stamina and endurance. You have to be able to do things you never thought your body could take. Obviously you have some time, so take it slow in the beginning, but also really start pushing yourself. You'll be glad you did later on.

Good luck. Thank you very much for your (upcoming) service.

Ethan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion! I have not looked into the GShock much, when I did I looked at the Mudman. I'll definitely check them out.

Haha, probably more than one BUD/s student has arrived wearing a Rolex or another valuable watch just to receive a choice nickname. Thanks for the advice.

Is there anything else that you would suggest that is analog, rather than the digital face? I really do enjoy the big face of the RESCO.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Every guy I've known who has spent time in the service recently has worn a Gshock or a Timex digital. Also, I have heard that you shouldn't show up to basic with anything you don't want to immediately lose (read: have taken away from you)

To answer your question, though, the Marathon SAR line is rugged as hell and is known to take a beating. Take a look at the TSAR.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Maybe a Seiko 007/09 as well?
That'd be my choice. For less than $200 you get an amazingly tough auto diver with a long heritage of military service...

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Hey squid(well future squid anyway).While I wholeheartedly agree with the advice NOT to take a nice watch to Boot or BUD/s the 4 years you will be spending at the Academy will afford plenty of time to wear something decent.Have a look at the Armida A1.Much more wallet friendly,bigger(works well with wrist size from about 6.75" & up) & the Superdome Crystal is AWESOME!Good luck...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not to throw some realism into your dreams (as that is what they are right now) but you should focus on getting accepted to the Naval Academy. Once that hurdle is complete you can start down the road of becoming a SEAL. Dropping a 1k on a watch that you THINK you might use if you graduate and IF you become a SEAL is your choice but not a well thought out one.

Just my opinion, good luck!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Not to throw some realism into your dreams (as that is what they are right now) but you should focus on getting accepted to the Naval Academy. Once that hurdle is complete you can start down the road of becoming a SEAL. Dropping a 1k on a watch that you THINK you might use if you graduate and IF you become a SEAL is your choice but not a well thought out one.

Just my opinion, good luck!
Sorry but I MUST disagree with you.There is NO room here for doubt!If there is 1 thing that EVERY Spec Ops.member I have ever served with or met has in common it is that they NEVER consider failure an option!Yes,there WILL be obstacles to overcome,getting accepted to the NA is 1,selection to BUD/s is another,but don't let doubt or fear be one of them...Plan the mission,focus on the target & EXECUTE!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like the look of that Armida, thanks for the suggestion.

@charger02, Thanks for your advice, but at no point did I say I need a watch that I can wear when I'm a SEAL. I am in no way assuming anything. I said that I wanted suggestions about which watches would work for me because I am hard on watches because I'm training with that goal in mind.

That Seiko 007 looks pretty good too.

@E8ArmyDiver, my thoughts exactly. No one has ever become a SEAL by going to BUD/S with the attitude that they are going to "try it out" or "see if it works out."

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Sorry but I MUST disagree with you.There is NO room here for doubt!If there is 1 thing that EVERY Spec Ops.member I have ever served with or met has in common it is that they NEVER consider failure an option!Yes,there WILL be obstacles to overcome,getting accepted to the NA is 1,selection to BUD/s is another,but don't let doubt or fear be one of them...Plan the mission,focus on the target & EXECUTE!!!
I agree 100%. Especially with SEALs. Once their hearts are set on something, it happens. Simple as that.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Don't waste your time with anything regardless of cost USE and abuse a G SHOCK! beat the piss out of it at no expense to you, and then buy something nice in four years with all the loot you could possibly save.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've had the honor of training the Special Develoment Group, or what the media still calls SEAL team 6 twice. This was tactical strength and conditioning training. No one had on a metal watch. G-shock, Sunnto, Timex Ironman. The Mudman is a great choice.

And Drop is right, it's not about weight lifting, although there is a joke that SEAL stands for sleep, eat and lift. Run, swim, pullups, pushups. But, if you don't have the head for it, BUDs will sort you out. Everyone that shows up is in shape.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I understand what many of you gentlemen are saying but you are speaking from a BTDT perspective. Gotta make it through entry level training first (in this case it happens to be acceptance to the Naval Academy). Eye on the prize....not on a watch. Just an observation, you are free to disagree but I may have a smidgen of experience myself.

ETA:
As for doubting ones self, no one is calling into question your desire but I am calling into question the focus. A G Shock will serve you well.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Never wear anything that you would feel bad losing. Rugged digital, fabric or rubber strap. There comes a point where your skin is the weak point to the bone.

I remember hearing horror stories in airborne school of rings getting caught in the suspension lines or risers and taking all the skin off the finger on the way off. I never saw it happen or been around anyone that it happened to so I do not know if that was real.

Also they told us to undo our chinstraps before a water landing, which I believe.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Never wear anything that you would feel bad losing. Rugged digital, fabric or rubber strap. There comes a point where your skin is the weak point to the bone.

I remember hearing horror stories in airborne school of rings getting caught in the suspension lines or risers and taking all the skin off the finger on the way off. I never saw it happen or been around anyone that it happened to so I do not know if that was real.

Also they told us to undo our chinstraps before a water landing, which I believe.
I degloved a finger about 8 months ago.

Not very pretty or fun. Real nasty scar too.

In basic training, he won't have that problem. There's no moving machinery or that type of craziness.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I was a 5 jump chump so I did not have to really think about it. At least they were all night jumps. ;)

He is talking SEAL training so I would not get anything that could break. Also I would not take a nice watch to basic. People stole underwear. UNDERWEAR! Really? I would not take anything really nice.

But anyway, for what it is worth this is what I wore in the Army:

This is a new strap of course but these were semi popular.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts