WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
NOW you're getting it!
I knew a Federal prosecutor that had a 3+ ft rattail, dyed in rainbow colors that he would tuck into his suit for court. Rebel and conservative, depends on the situation. We all play that game.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
42 Posts
I remember during the financial crisis watching Hank Paulson wearing what I believe was a Timex. That was sort of the moment where I realized you could wear a digital watch with a suit. It is not for everyone, and it might send different messages to different people, but I enjoyed seeing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a lawyer friend who is a huge fan of Omega and yet he purchased a Rolex. He says his clientele associates the brand with succes so it's a good way of branding himself. I guess it says something about his clientele as well as Rolex.

Also, I have that Casio but it's not very accurate for a quartz.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I noticed some people do wear cheaper watches with no regard to how "real" watch should be for public to see.
99% of the public don't care what you wear.
Casio in question is among most suitable for get job done entry level Casio you can wear with the suit. After all it's max function in slim package.
Really has all you may want. I have square variant of it and it's really fine and comfortable watch.
If you don't love watches and you pass that phase where in your face Swiss cool or Tacticool or whatever... wearing 30-200$ watch is more than enough.
In many instances when people think they need projecting watch it has negative effect like with contractor in post above.
Making client think you spend money unwise is bad move.
After all many public figures been spotted wearing something more affordable...
Absolutely, that's what it's ALL about. I'm not an attorney. But, I took a course on public speaking / persuasive speaking. The majority of the attendees were attorneys.
That is their job to be persuasive while speaking publicly. Almost like politics, but politicians are less try harder bunch. BS they say won't fly in court.
Whole level of excitement is when engineers start to talk persuasiveness and you look at Lead Corporate Metallurgist and think 4-5mm means 4-5 mm it does not mean 3.5 to 5.5 no matter what. And also i hope you and only you will walk this bridge for a rest of your life... it will be fair.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Eh? Lost me there. 🤭
If mr persuasive engineer trying to persuade you to accept and sign for job not according to print spec but according to his wishes and covers some F-k up on his behalf you hope only him will get the consequences but it's hardly a case. Thus i hope only he will use finished product and no harm will come to customers and general public. In specific example there was whole part of how measurements done and how on ruler you only good to half of the minimal unit of measurement. Even getting pass obvious it's not to the print you don't use ruler for this type of thing.
I am talking major corporation BTW.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ah. So it's less about wearing a nice, inexpensive, reliable watch, and more about making an impression on the jury members - perhaps to get them to believe you are like them, and can be trusted?
Exactamundo. I do mostly defense work, and flashy watches could send the wrong message with working class jurors. I look for every advantage I can.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I sport one of my Casio watches when I go to court to present a case.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
To give some context, this occassion was within the European continental judicial system - no jury, no outsiders, just the plaintiff, defendant and judge. No need or even the possibility to impress anybody. The judge won't care about your watch, his independency is well ensured. I was just happy to see a good, reliable, simple Casio under the circumstances.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts