WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a Rado Original classic. Trying to decide on a white or black face. I currently have a Bulova Marine Star that is black and red, and recently ordered a white faced dress watch with a plan of getting a white faced diver too (at that point I'd have two white faces, currently have 2 black faced watches).

For reference:

The contestants:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm getting a Rado Original classic. Trying to decide on a white or black face. I currently have a Bulova Marine Star that is black and red, and recently ordered a white faced dress watch with a plan of getting a white faced diver too (at that point I'd have two white faces, currently have 2 black faced watches).

For reference:

The contestants:
This may not be an option for you but I fancy silver

Reactions: ABud21

·
Registered
104 Posts
Blackface is always a bad idea

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I like the white as well. The logo coordinates with the seconds hand much better than with the red-orange markers on the black dial.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They don't have the silver one anywhere - I know they made one though, members here have them. Silver dial with red glowing markers.

I'm super OCD, so of course I made a quick diagram in Paint with each watch on a wrist and changed sleeve colors. White does indeed look the best to me every single time when compared, even when black looked good alone. Looks like I'll eventually have 3 white dials, but it's about as versatile as it gets so they'll definitely get worn.

This may not be an option for you but I fancy silver

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm getting a Rado Original classic. Trying to decide on a white or black face.

I've noticed that in dim light it's MUCH easier to read the time with my white faced watch compared to my black faced ones. It seems that the contrast of dark hands and numerals against the white dial is more distinct.

Worth thinking about... and a guiding factor in selecting future watches.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Like the white as well, particularly the red seconds hand, BUT.......be aware the hands blend in more, less contrast, and may be more difficult to read at a glance than a black dial would be.

The Rado has light colored hands and against a white backround will not be as distinct.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
....... It seems that the contrast of dark hands and numerals against the white dial is more distinct.....
What dark hands? The Rado pictured has white/silver hands on a white dial.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
White is prettier. Black is considerably more legible.

Reactions: yankeexpress

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm getting a Rado Original classic. Trying to decide on a white or black face.

I've noticed that in dim light it's MUCH easier to read the time with my white faced watch compared to my black faced ones. It seems that the contrast of dark hands and numerals against the white dial is more distinct.

Worth thinking about... and a guiding factor in selecting future watches.
I don't how you could be so off the mark. It is extremely well established that white hands on a black (or dark) dial is the most legible. Its what the military uses as well as most field watches. Some colored dials can be very legible, like orange for example. White is a notoriously poor background for legibility. Black hands work well on a white dial but they disappear in low light and all you're left with is a white dial.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Black for sporty casual, white to allow it to pass for business semiformal.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went with the white. More versatile for me and when paired with the colors I wear a lot, the white just appealed to my eye more. I love the contrasting lume on the black, but I rarely need lume, so that was just a cool thing. I have the Bulova in black and red, and don't have a white dial yet (though one on the way). White is most versatile in most cases and more easy for me to wear with this watch. Also, I like the white date dial on white, rather than black. Works better with the overall aesthetic. Last, stupid thing, but no one on the forums that I've seen owns the white one.

I will be able to read the time no matter what. I'm never in such a hurry that I can only take a glance. Plus if I need to stare, it's a good looking enough watch to look at for a few moments!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts