WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Planet Ocean Liquidmetal Limited Edition (arriving sometime next year) in mind, I paid a visit to my AD today to see if they had a 42mm PO in stock. I never really took the time to actually hold one and try it on before. I was always a Breitling guy, and although I liked the Omegas, I pretty much just looked at them in the showcase. Until I got my AT last spring, that is. Now I have gone all Omega.
When I checked the PO out thoroughly this afternoon, I was really blown away by the build quality of this watch! I have always kind of thought that the Rolexes I saw were a bit better built than the Breitlings, but never really admitted it to myself. I can't explain it, other than to say that they just looked and felt sturdier to me. Today, when I looked at the PO, I realized that I could not make the same distinction between it and the Rolex. To my mind and my senses the Omega is every bit as good, and as rugged, but just finished even a little better. The PO, even at 42mm, is a very hefty watch, but I was really amazed - and pleased - how comfortable a fit is was on my wrist. I am absolutely mesmerized by the photos of the LE Liquidmetal, and I thought that I should at least scrutinize the PO and try it on before probably making the big plunge next year. The PO I saw today absolutely confirmed to me that the Liquidmetal is the one for me. I just think that the ceramic dial that blends seamlessly with the new bezel will look stunning. I also like the applied numbers that it will have. The only thing that threw me a bit with the PO I saw today, was how matte the dial finish actually is. However, that would be a detail I could easily live with.
Anyway, to all you folks who do have the PO, I can now understand why you are so thrilled with this watch. Also, the quality of the beautiful, thick bracelet is itself a work of art. I am comparing the PO to some of the Breitlings I have had, all from the Aeromarine line, which have all been wonderful watches. Most of them, however, have been almost a grand less than the PO, so I have to take that into consideration.
Sorry to ramble on so much, but I wanted to share these comments and observations. Once again, I was amazed - and pleased - how very well the PO fitted on my wrist.
Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You do know that the ceramic bezel LM PO will be probably 2x the cost of the regular, right? There is a thread tracking this topic and I believe one of the FADs has commented that many ADs will not even see any LMs, as there are not many being made and they will go to boutiques, not likely to be selling for much of a discount. :-(

I say all of this to open up an important question: What's stopping you from getting the regular PO now? :-!

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
With the Planet Ocean Liquidmetal Limited Edition (arriving sometime next year) in mind, I paid a visit to my AD today to see if they had a 42mm PO in stock. I never really took the time to actually hold one and try it on before. I was always a Breitling guy, and although I liked the Omegas, I pretty much just looked at them in the showcase. Until I got my AT last spring, that is. Now I have gone all Omega.
When I checked the PO out thoroughly this afternoon, I was really blown away by the build quality of this watch! I have always kind of thought that the Rolexes I saw were a bit better built than the Breitlings, but never really admitted it to myself. I can't explain it, other than to say that they just looked and felt sturdier to me. Today, when I looked at the PO, I realized that I could not make the same distinction between it and the Rolex. To my mind and my senses the Omega is every bit as good, and as rugged, but just finished even a little better. The PO, even at 42mm, is a very hefty watch, but I was really amazed - and pleased - how comfortable a fit is was on my wrist. I am absolutely mesmerized by the photos of the LE Liquidmetal, and I thought that I should at least scrutinize the PO and try it on before probably making the big plunge next year. The PO I saw today absolutely confirmed to me that the Liquidmetal is the one for me. I just think that the ceramic dial that blends seamlessly with the new bezel will look stunning. I also like the applied numbers that it will have. The only thing that threw me a bit with the PO I saw today, was how matte the dial finish actually is. However, that would be a detail I could easily live with.
Anyway, to all you folks who do have the PO, I can now understand why you are so thrilled with this watch. Also, the quality of the beautiful, thick bracelet is itself a work of art. I am comparing the PO to some of the Breitlings I have had, all from the Aeromarine line, which have all been wonderful watches. Most of them, however, have been almost a grand less than the PO, so I have to take that into consideration.
Sorry to ramble on so much, but I wanted to share these comments and observations. Once again, I was amazed - and pleased - how very well the PO fitted on my wrist.
Cheers,
Carl
Ah, the light of realization. It is beautiful when seen on a fellow person. Congrats.

P.S. The dial on the PO is matte to keep reflections off the dial making it easier to read, even in direct sunlight. If you look at the PO for a while, the dial is an incredible study of shades of grey, it is quite a complex dial really.

·
Premium Member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do know that the ceramic bezel LM PO will be probably 2x the cost of the regular, right? There is a thread tracking this topic and I believe one of the FADs has commented that many ADs will not even see any LMs, as there are not many being made and they will go to boutiques, not likely to be selling for much of a discount. :-(

I say all of this to open up an important question: What's stopping you from getting the regular PO now? :-!

Regards,
Eric
That's OK. I have done my homework on all that. I know there will be a premium to be paid for all that, so I'm prepared and willing to pay. I know these watches probably won't be discounted much, if at all.
I am hoping that with the Canadian dollar now gaining value, that the prices up here will be more at par with the US, as they were a year or so ago.
I have already inquired at my AD about getting one, but weren't able to get much info yet from Omega. I will keep checking with them, as this is one watch that I really don't want to miss out on!
As for getting a PO right away, I just can't justify the bucks right now. I got a new AT 8500 in April, then in the past few weeks a new Railmaster. After that, I traded my Breitling Seawolf at my AD for a new 2007 SMP.
Cheers,
Carl

·
Premium Member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, the light of realization. It is beautiful when seen on a fellow person. Congrats.

P.S. The dial on the PO is matte to keep reflections off the dial making it easier to read, even in direct sunlight. If you look at the PO for a while, the dial is an incredible study of shades of grey, it is quite a complex dial really.
I plan to go back to my AD again this next week. Admittedly, they were busy today, and I want to take another look at the watch and spend a bit more time with it, and will pay more attention to the complexities.
Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
This is just my opinion, but as far as looks go, I would getthe PO in a second instead of the Rollie

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Agreed, it does take a few times analyzing the PO dial to really pick up on the subtle, smoldering details and overall awesomeness that it delivers. It has a very subtle sparkle, almost as if there is a tiny bit of sparkle dust in the paint. What I love about the PO is the double AR coating and how it makes the crystal basically disappear.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I have spent an afternoon comparing the 42 and 45 POs with the Rolex Sea Dweller and its replacement, the Deep Sea Dweller. All are great watches but the POs win out on all counts.

Everything about the 45 PO trumps the Deep Sea.

But the PloProf crushes the Deep Sea and the Liquidmetal is the final nail.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
179 Posts
What I love about the PO is the double AR coating and how it makes the crystal basically disappear.
Yep, that's what does it for me also. Sometimes I think to myself, it looks as if I can reach right in there and trace my fingers around the dial. This watch has taken over and has become my daily wear. It's just too stunning to leave in the winder and wear something else.

·
Premium Member
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have spent an afternoon comparing the 42 and 45 POs with the Rolex Sea Dweller and its replacement, the Deep Sea Dweller. All are great watches but the POs win out on all counts.

Everything about the 45 PO trumps the Deep Sea.

But the PloProf crushes the Deep Sea and the Liquidmetal is the final nail.

Fr. John†
I did go and look at a Deep Sea with a friend of mine rather recently. I could see that, yes, a beautiful watch. However, all the "bragging" on the dial - I can't remember the exact words, and I think they are surrounding the dial - about superlative quality etc. just leave me absolutely out in the cold. Then I saw, touched and wore the PO today, and was taken by it's understated quality and attention to detail. Not even to mention the wonderful coaxial movement within. I see now that when I compared the Breitling to the Rolex, there was a difference I thought, mainly in build quality and ruggedness. However wonderful the Deep Sea professes to be, there is no way that it is worth twice the money, or in many ways even as good as, the PO. I have to say that the attention to detail on my Breitling Seawolf was excellent, but in overall finish and quality the PO comes out on top.
Without seeing the LiquidMetal, I know that I will be even more stunned by it's beauty when I (hopefully) see it in person.
Cheers,
Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts