WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Singer's attention to detail combined with a balance of restoring and improving a classic car without removing it's soul is astounding. They charge a huge premium due to the tremendous time and expertise they apply to each car. If you are rich enough and love classic 911's enough, it's totally worth it; in no small part because nothing else is even close. You can have a brand new sports car or a used sports car ... very few do this good of a job rebuilding you a brand new classic sports car.

They seem to think that this attention to detail and over-the-top craftsmanship translates to watches, but I disagree. First, they are providing new watches, just like everyone else. There isn't a limited market for new watches, and they are a new entrant. Second, everyone in that price range (and even lower) pays the same attention to detail with greater expertise and history. Their watch, while nice, just doesn't seem that special. I simply don't think it's worth anything close to that price, even if the cost to make it is high. Kudos for them that they didn't just contract this out to Fossil, but horology isn't exactly an industry hurting for attention to detail.

Ultimately it won't matter. They're not selling watches to watch geeks. They are selling a $40k accessory on a half a million dollar used car. The people who buy the watch will be the people with ungodly amounts of money who check every box on the options sheet. It will be people who's wealth knows no bounds and will gladly pay to be reminded of their beautiful Porsche even when they can't drive it.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I like it. Obviously I wouldn't buy it because I'm not in the market for any watch at this price level but just like the concept. Most car branded watches are either cheap junk with a carmaker logo or rebranded versions of existing watches with cosmetic recase/redial. And most watches at this price level whether from the big 3 or boutique makers are dress watches. Here is an entirely new and bespoke purpose designed movement in a sporty new case.

·
Registered
16,607 Posts
Nope not for me whether at 40 or 4, but so glad that there's something for everybody in watches, cars, etc, etc and so forth . . .

·
Premium Member
10,055 Posts
This could sell to a watch geek. Easily. You're paying not only for the attention to detail, but also to some degree for the time and effort in the movement design. It's a completely unique approach to a chronograph; how can that *not* appeal to a watch geek with the cash to spend on it?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
How awesome is this?

Show this to any watch geek/WIS and ask, "Is this an automatic movement". They will invariably say, "No way!"...

Okay... maybe just, "Nope".

Beautiful!

Reactions: Synequano

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it probably comes off to strongly to say that this is not for a Watch Geek at all. I simply think that for the price this watch would have to resonate very strongly for me to choose it over other $40k watches or even a few $15k watches. If there are people out there with large collections of $40k watches or they simply find this watch particularly appealing, it certainly seems very nice and I'm sure they would be happy.

I guess the analogy would be that their cars are foie gras prepared by an amazing chef. If foie gras is your thing, you have to have it and will gladly pay any price (assuming you're rich enough) because there's nothing else out there that you'd rather buy. Their watch seems to be a $10 box of crackers. They're very nice crackers, but a lot of people would rather have 3 boxes of Cheeze-Its or something from their favorite gourmet cracker brand (is that a thing?). Some people will certainly see the specific flavor they make and love it, but most will be happy with something else. That's not a knock on the quality of the crackers, or the watch. The "value" (if there is such a thing for luxury items of this price) to me is better if I'm buying the car. I could certainly see myself springing for the watch if I was buying a car too because now the watch means something a little more special to me. I see a lot more people buying that way.

Either way, I am totally unqualified to judge a $40k watch, so anyone who wants to buy one has my permission to go right ahead :).

·
Premium Member
10,055 Posts
Mmm...I'd not made the connection. Yep, final 6 for a GPHG in the chronograph category.

det, this isn't a piece for a random collection of high-end pieces. Any complications fan, any chronograph fan, any fan of highly distinctive and inventive movements...HECK yeah. Obviously they have to be able to manage the sticker shock, that's a given. This piece doesn't really compete with, say, a VC Overseas chronograph...or, not in the same way that, say the VC competes with a ROO chrono. The first thing that comes to mind as competition, is the new Zeniths with the 2-piece escapement...where the first run of LEs is running $30K. Or the Panerai Lab-ID.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
They seem to think that this attention to detail and over-the-top craftsmanship translates to watches, but I disagree. First, they are providing new watches, just like everyone else. There isn't a limited market for new watches, and they are a new entrant. Second, everyone in that price range (and even lower) pays the same attention to detail with greater expertise and history. Their watch, while nice, just doesn't seem that special. I simply don't think it's worth anything close to that price, even if the cost to make it is high. Kudos for them that they didn't just contract this out to Fossil, but horology isn't exactly an industry hurting for attention to detail.

Ultimately it won't matter. They're not selling watches to watch geeks. They are selling a $40k accessory on a half a million dollar used car. The people who buy the watch will be the people with ungodly amounts of money who check every box on the options sheet. It will be people who's wealth knows no bounds and will gladly pay to be reminded of their beautiful Porsche even when they can't drive it.
I think it probably comes off to strongly to say that this is not for a Watch Geek at all. I simply think that for the price this watch would have to resonate very strongly for me to choose it over other $40k watches or even a few $15k watches. If there are people out there with large collections of $40k watches or they simply find this watch particularly appealing, it certainly seems very nice and I'm sure they would be happy.

I guess the analogy would be that their cars are foie gras prepared by an amazing chef. If foie gras is your thing, you have to have it and will gladly pay any price (assuming you're rich enough) because there's nothing else out there that you'd rather buy. Their watch seems to be a $10 box of crackers. They're very nice crackers, but a lot of people would rather have 3 boxes of Cheeze-Its or something from their favorite gourmet cracker brand (is that a thing?). Some people will certainly see the specific flavor they make and love it, but most will be happy with something else. That's not a knock on the quality of the crackers, or the watch. The "value" (if there is such a thing for luxury items of this price) to me is better if I'm buying the car. I could certainly see myself springing for the watch if I was buying a car too because now the watch means something a little more special to me. I see a lot more people buying that way.

Either way, I am totally unqualified to judge a $40k watch, so anyone who wants to buy one has my permission to go right ahead :).
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The Singer is the second watch (Fabergé Visionnaire Chronograph was the first) to use the revolutionary Agenhor AgenGraphe movement designed by Jean-Marc Wiederrecht. It's pretty freakin' special especially to watch geeks like me. Seriously, one of my ultimate aspirations is to one day own a watch with just about any kind of movement or modification designed by Mr. Wiederrecht, one of the true living geniuses in regards to modern watch movement design. Read more about it here: The AgenGraphe By Agenhor: The Most Significant Chronograph Since . . . Since The Invention Of The Chronograph (With Videos) | Quill & Pad

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The Singer is the second watch (Fabergé Visionnaire Chronograph was the first) to use the revolutionary Agenhor AgenGraphe movement designed by Jean-Marc Wiederrecht. It's pretty freakin' special especially to watch geeks like me. Seriously, one of my ultimate aspirations is to one day own a watch with just about any kind of movement or modification designed by Mr. Wiederrecht, one of the true living geniuses in regards to modern watch movement design. Read more about it here: The AgenGraphe By Agenhor: The Most Significant Chronograph Since . . . Since The Invention Of The Chronograph (With Videos) | Quill & Pad
Maybe I just need to read up on in more ... I'm so far out of that price range I probably just don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
26,112 Posts
In that sense, it's just right for Singer. Singer cars look like just another old 911, but those "in the know" understand what went into making them special.

I'm super impressed by the info in the writeup you linked to. That's pretty fantastic. Makes me want to not bother with other chronographs until I can afford to drop the coin for one of these.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
It's pretty cool indeed, but I'd have to sell my old 911 to afford one. And something tells me if I did sell it my wife would probably make me use the money for something responsible.

On another note, my stock old 911 is pretty amazing just the way she left the factory in 1970.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Their math is way off though:
Sixty is also the number of hours this automatic movement offers in reserve power, allowing five days without needing to be rewound.
Last time I checked, 5 days = 24*5 = 120 hours.. Hmm...
Heck, it doesn't even last 3 days..

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
It's pretty cool indeed, but I'd have to sell my old 911 to afford one. And something tells me if I did sell it my wife would probably make me use the money for something responsible.

On another note, my stock old 911 is pretty amazing just the way she left the factory in 1970.

Yeah I'm with you JonS1967. My Sunday driver remains the same as when my dad drove it away from the dealership in 1971.
As for Singer I love that he's building super cool watches and cars for those with the means and motivation. I'll never be that guy
but that's okay, I've got a few nice watches that go well with my 911T.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Their math is way off though:

Last time I checked, 5 days = 24*5 = 120 hours.. Hmm...
Heck, it doesn't even last 3 days..
Einstein's Theory of Relativity says that time slows down the faster that you travel. So, yeah, the power reserve is only two and half days for most of us but it's like double if you're driving a Singer Porsche. (Please place irreverently smirking emoticon here.)

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Yeah I'm with you JonS1967. My Sunday driver remains the same as when my dad drove it away from the dealership in 1971.
As for Singer I love that he's building super cool watches and cars for those with the means and motivation. I'll never be that guy
but that's okay, I've got a few nice watches that go well with my 911T.

Beautiful 911T! Mine is also a T. I bought mine back in 1996. Nothing cooler than having it passed down from your father... and he was original owner too! Amazing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.