WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve wanted this watch for a long time, and I’m currently saving for it. Black or blue dial, I’m undecided. Anyway, I’ve heard a lot about it’s thickness, and how it’s not the most enjoyable watch to wear due to this 17mm thickness.

I once owned a 47mm bronze diver. It’s thickness was just about 14mm. I loved the watch, and how it looked on me, I sold it because it was too cumbersome on my wrist. However, I figure the diameter and weight caused that.

So, how much of a buzzkill is the 17mm thickness?

Can I see some wrist shots from an angle showing the watch’s height while worn.

I’ll be saving for this for a bit. Ultimately, it’ll be my reward for getting through some hard times. So I really don’t want to be disappointed.

It’ll also be my first mechanical chrono. I ultimately want an Navitimer, but that’ll be a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a small wrist and can wear a 13-14mm thick watch but typically more than that is too much. If you are concerned, factor in your wrist size, the strap size/thickness, the watch lug-lug, lug width and the weight of the watch to determine if you can pull it off.

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 8” wrists. The diameter and L2L aren’t an issue. I’m just wondering how uncomfortable a 17mm high watch will be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Omega XL Planet Ocean is the same height and is sought after around the world also many Suunto and Garmin (style) watches are about this tall.
The height is a factor but many enjoy it and many tolerate it.

The PO is wider and has a more supportive band.
On a 41mm diameter watch with a 20mm band that 17mm height seems very tall and skinny.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had the 103 in Ti...I thought it would be OK because it was Ti....it was too tall for me...sold it to a friend who loves it...so there you go :)

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have just got my 103 and it fits really well, better than my Seamaster 300M Chrono Diver ever did. Not too high at all. I can honestly say that there feels like little difference between my 104 and this 103. View attachment 14590427
View attachment 14590429
Can you take a few angled pictures? So I can see it’s height on your wrist.

Absolutely beautiful watch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you take a few angled pictures? So I can see it’s height on your wrist.

Absolutely beautiful watch.

I have just got exactly the same watch. It's really deceptive in thickness mainly due to the crystal being proud of the bezel by 1.5/2mm, The rear crystal is also domed so of the 16mm of the LE you can probably discount 2-3mm. I've also had a standard acrylic 103 with the solid caseback and found that to wear very well. My Tudor Black Bay GMT catches my shirt cuff more than the 103 SA BE.

I think the ref you are after has the different style of bezel which may not mask the thickness quite as well, but I've never tried one of those.

·
Premium Member
63,991 Posts
TBH Rob I’ve got spider leg wrists and have never noticed that the 103 is thick or uncomfortable to wear. If you lust after a Navi be sure to check the Sinn 903 out.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I have 6.5 inch wrist and have an 103 acrylic which I find to be quite comfortable. I made the mistake of getting the blue above and found it too big and top heavy so I had to sell it off quickly.

Different people have different reactions to a tall watch. YMMV.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah so the 103 limited models are particularly thick because of the domed sapphire on BOTH sides. I don't own the blue but I have the Klassik and it's the exact same watch except for the color... it's definitely thick. There's no getting around that. But I will tell you that I've gotten used to it and now that I know what to expect and have gotten accustomed to how it feels when I wear it, I really love it and enjoy wearing it very, very much. No... it won't fit nicely under a dress cuff and it won't work with a tight sweater. But otherwise it's just such a lovely piece... I wouldn't let the thickness scare you off if you are otherwise really into the design. Now.... would I prefer it thinner? YES. 10000%. But sadly it's just not thinner...

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a 103 owner I can say its high but its no bigger than any other 7750 powered watch. I find the sin to actually fit quite comfortably and have never felt that it sits ridiculously.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Love my 103 St Sa Ar, thick but not too. Actually very comfortable to wear IMO. And just get custom made shirts, then you can have your left cuff made a bit wider to fit better with a watch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts