WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i recently purchased a sinn 256 from the tz forum. i noticed that the chronograph seconds hand is entirely red, and not blacked out as it nears the base, like other 256's i've seen in the past. does anyone know if this model was ever produced, or could the original owner had it specially put on there by sinn themselves. i've researched this for over 2 days now and haven't found one yet. mine's the one in the sinn box. my comparison is the link below. thank you!!

http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/SalesForum/webbbs_config.cgi?noframes;read=61766

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
here's a pic of my bell and ross by sinn m2.

hello,
i recently purchased a sinn 256 from the tz forum. i noticed that the chronograph seconds hand is entirely red, and not blacked out as it nears the base, like other 256's i've seen in the past. does anyone know if this model was ever produced, or could the original owner had it specially put on there by sinn themselves. i've researched this for over 2 days now and haven't found one yet. mine's the one in the sinn box. my comparison is the link below. thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
hello,

Hmmh; difficult to answer, as there are several possible explanations.

Firstly, as one of the smaller manufacturers Sinn is quite flexible and tries to accommodate buyer's requests as much as possible. If the original owner should have requested entirely red chronograph second hands, Sinn would have fitted them if they were readily available.

Secondly; even with larger manufacturers, occasional variations in the same model series do occur and it is possible that the watch was fitted with a batch of hands that were entirely red and did not have the black coloured base that is customary from most Sinn models.

A similar situation has occured with the 144 model, which is commonly delivered with all-red (or all-orange, in case of the 144 GMT Cargo) chronograph second hands, but which has appeared also with second hands with black base. For example, the online catalogue shows all 144 models with all-red hands (e.g. http://www.sinn.de/onlineshopPRO/TEMPLATE/index-ka.php?id=144.050), while the current printed catalogue shows the 144 Ti as the sole model with hands with black base.

And lastly; the hands could have been fitted during a service as most manufacturers have the policy to fit a complete new set of hands when the movement is serviced.

As you see there are many possible explanations, but if your watch is fairly new and has not needed a service yet, I would find the second explanation the most pausible one.

The good thing about a Forum like ours is that there is a chance that someone else may own a 256 fitted with the same hands as on yours.

Kurt

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello,
thank you kurt. as i told scotto, my concern was that i had purchased a fake. but, i also own a sinn 103 ti ar utc. the build quality of my 103 and 256 are identical. the boxes and warranty cards are also identical. so i doubt it's a fake, but that red hand worried me.
regards,
frank

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about Sinn fakes.

Sinn is not that well known in those circles, is not considered a status symbol or cult watch and consequently hasn't attracted that much attention by people trying to make a quick buck that way.

It's easier and probably more profitable to fake more iconic brands.

Kurt

G

·
Hello,

Before buying mine, I saw this as well, and I specifically asked to have the partially blacked one.

Yours is a genuine one.

Regards.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you misterpeter. i actually had a member e-mail who had one of these also. it turns out his 256 was purchased on the same month (aug 2006) from watchbuys and our serial numbers were very close.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi there - I also have the SinnTiArUTC and am considering purchasing a 256 as a more 'all round' sports chrono'. How do you find the size difference with the 256 being slightly smaller? Are the sub-dials about the same size on the 103, or also proportionately smaller?

I ask as I love the red hands and bezel of the 256 but wonder if the chrono is not that easy to read and use practically.

I'd appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sinn is known to deviate from the stock design from batch to batch or sometimes location to location. No worries.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about Sinn fakes.
Sinn is not that well known in those circles, is not considered a status symbol or cult watch and consequently hasn't attracted that much attention by people trying to make a quick buck that way.

It's easier and probably more profitable to fake more iconic brands.

Kurt
Hi Kurt, take a look of this, I never seen a logotype print so small....:think:
what do you think? It's original?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think so but I am not sure. Could be an old batch? JMHO
I read of other that have this small logo, and it comes maybe from the nineties, but what I'm sure somebody have changed is the day wheel that is white...
:think:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think so but I am not sure. Could be an old batch? JMHO
Looks a little odd to me - the case, hands and bezel all look correct - but the dial looks like an O&W Mirage - the slightly cut off 10 ( the 10 is not cut off on the Sinn 103 ) and as you point out - the white day wheel is very suspicious. Could be a frankenwatch.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Looks a little odd to me - the case, hands and bezel all look correct - but the dial looks like an O&W Mirage - the slightly cut off 10 ( the 10 is not cut off on the Sinn 103 ) and as you point out - the white day wheel is very suspicious. Could be a frankenwatch.
Agree with you and Schirra on the day wheel. Sharp observations.

What language is 'VEN' for the day?

Perhaps the owner had the day wheel changed to an after market one bearing the language of his preference? Maybe some customization? I would still think its franken unless the original day wheel is fixed back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Agree with you and Schirra on the day wheel. Sharp observations.

What language is 'VEN' for the day?

Perhaps the owner had the day wheel changed to an after market one bearing the language of his preference? Maybe some customization? I would still think its franken unless the original day wheel is fixed back.
French - 'Vendredi' is Friday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts