Votes: 28 54.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ikarus-6.jpg

20090306294.jpg

I'm trying to decide which of these two is a better fit for my collection. I already own a Laco A-dial flieger and a couple of flieger-style watches in the Damasko DA35 Black (no numerals, white dial) and DA36.

In favor of the Stowa, I've always liked the grey dial of the Ikarus as it is very unique, and I don't have a grey dial in my collection. I also like the domed sapphire crystal.

On the other hand, although I don't find many Sinns appealing, I love the simple no-numerals dial of the 556. It also comes with a TOP grade movement and would be my first Sinn.

My wrist is 6.75" so either watch is a good fit (Sinn 38.5mm case, Stowa 40mm). The Stowa has better lume, but lume is not a priority.

Looking forward to any impressions of these two, considering what I already own, that might help sway me one way or the other. Thanks b-)

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I voted Sinn as that's what I'd choose from the two; I'm afraid that contrary to your request I largely ignored your collection as that's what I'd do were I in your shoes - I'd get the watch I'd prefer to have on my wrist over the one that makes the group shot looks more interesting.

But, if you're exactly 50/50 about them then go with the Stowa as it varies your collection.

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
I voted Stowa. Then again I do have one on order!

The rhodium-plated dial is very appealing, and while supplies last the Ikarus can also be ordered with a top grade movement. It's also over $150 cheaper with the top grade movement upgrade than the Sinn. With the leftover change you could order a croco strap if you want to dress it up a bit. I did. :)

Honestly though, they're both fantastic and you can't go wrong with either watch.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Since you already have a Laco, Stowa & Damasko it only makes sense to add a Sinn to your collection.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stowa. It's just more interesting.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I like the date position better on the Stowa and the crown guards on the Sinn.
Stowa is overall better looking IMO.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I voted for the Sinn, even as a devoted Stowa wearer. Yes, the Ikarus is interesting looking, but the Sinn is better looking. Beautiful rather than pretty. I also really like that the Sinn has high WR, making it more versatile.

The 556 is my choice for top watch to get in the $500-$1000 price range, esp. if you already have flieger watches. The Sinn is sort of a Flieger, but in its austerity, I think it's much more than that.

Reactions: LH2

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
i voted sinn, if you had put it up against a black dialed Stowa, it would have made it harder for me.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i voted sinn, if you had put it up against a black dialed Stowa, it would have made it harder for me.
I owned a black dial Stowa flieger no logo and sold it. In a flieger I prefer the more rugged bead blast case, solid back, and larger diameter of the Laco line to the prettier Stowa. But the Ikarus is different enough that it has always been on my short list.

A lot of good points have been made here, thanks guys.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
The Stowa is interesting, and might win the beauty pageant, but any flieger style watch should be as legible as possible, and the Sinn wins in that regard. Don't really see the point in a pilot style watch with a light grey dial, except to be different, for the sake of being different. At least you can tell which way is up with the Stowa dial though.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Stowa. It's far more interesting to look at.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The Stowa is interesting, and might win the beauty pageant, but any flieger style watch should be as legible as possible, and the Sinn wins in that regard. Don't really see the point in a pilot style watch with a light grey dial, except to be different, for the sake of being different. At least you can tell which way is up with the Stowa dial though.

I voted Sinn in this match up, but I wouldn't disqualify the Stowa due to legibility. I see legibility mentioned quite a bit with different models; rarely is it justified. If we are talking about actual pilots using these watches in flight then I'll grant the legibility question, but for the vast majority of us land dwellers who are looking for a decent watch, either should be sufficiently legible. Note: after voting Sinn I noticed for the first time how stubby the 556 hands are compared with the Stowa. That makes this a tougher choice, but the simple dial, good WR and AR coating still compel me to choose 556 over Ikarus.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Voted Sinn - prefer the classic look of it. Could be worn with pretty much anything.

Something about the Icarus has always made me pause, in a bad way. The design ideas are all very nice, but it just doesn't tie together for me.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Sinn hands down for me, I'm not liking this partucular Stowa all that much, the Sinn is a classic look,with superb legibility and will really pop in person.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Voted Sinn - prefer the classic look of it. Could be worn with pretty much anything.

Something about the Icarus has always made me pause, in a bad way. The design ideas are all very nice, but it just doesn't tie together for me.
I like the Ikarus, but get the feeling I'd buy it and it wouldn't get much wrist time because I'd end up picking something else to wear that day. I actually had one on order, and canceled last year to take delivery of the hand wind 2801 SE flieger (black hands) instead. Once I had that one, it didn't wow me the way I thought it would. It was almost too pretty for a flieger, and I think the Stowas are best with the blued hands for sure. I sold it a few months later.

Sinn hands down for me, I'm not liking this partucular Stowa all that much, the Sinn is a classic look,with superb legibility and will really pop in person.
The Sinn is very versatile indeed. I've seen pics where it looks good on bracelet, croco, Nato or various straps.

Reactions: AUTOmaniak

·
Registered
40 Posts
tough choice, but i recommend the sinn. i haven't seen the stowa in person, but the sinn looks great. i'd recommend getting the sinn on a bracelet and purchasing a strap separately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts