WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear community,

I recently purchased Sinn 556a (a gift for my father). I was testing it over last week and I see that it runs approx. 8 seconds / day fast. I was wondering if this is normal or I should be “concerned” ? I have received it on 14.06, have set the time and wound it manually. Since then, everyday I take it out of the box to wind it (was not worn, so it sits in same position all the time, dial up in the box). It is gaining about 8 seconds a day constantly. Yesterday time offset was 48 seconds (divided by 6 days = 8 secs/day). I have only one watch to compare to, my Steinhart Ocean 39 (Elaboré 2824-2), which runs 5 sec/days fast constantly over half a year. I was reading that Sinn uses Elaboré 2824-2 or even Top grade, so I was expecting it to perform at least at 5 secs/day. I still have time before father’s birthday in July, hence I wanted to hear your experience and see if I need to take it to watchmaker to, perhaps demagnetize, etc.. or this is normal and nothing to “worry” about J ?

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

IMG_4344_small.JPG
IMG_4346_small.JPG
IMG_4345_small.JPG

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Mine is 3 or 4 months old (second owner) and is about +4spd over the week I've had it and will slow down if left crown up. These do have the top grade ETA2824-2 and the specs for that are an accuracy of +/-4 sec/day up to +/- 15 sec/day per my research.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rice and Gravy! I was also expecting around 4-5 secs. Your's seem to run perfectly! 8 is not terrible, but i was a bit surprised when observed it, as I said, my Steinhart performs better at more than half of the Sinn price :) . Not that I am expecting COSC level and 1000$ is not a lot in a watch world, but was expecting a bit more still. Could it be that its magnetized? Or if it did, it would run much much more faster?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
In my experience sometimes brand new watches need a bit to settle in and seem to keep better time when worn regularly. In addition, usually magnetized watches run REALLY fast, not a few seconds, but regardless you'd think magnetization would not been an issue for this watch anyway given that it is anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my experience sometimes brand new watches need a bit to settle in and seem to keep better time when worn regularly. In addition, usually magnetized watches run REALLY fast, not a few seconds, but regardless you'd think magnetization would not been an issue for this watch anyway given that it is anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309.
True :) Thanks!

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Within 10 seconds a day is fine. It might even get better over time. No worries

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
I agree with the poster who suggested the watch will settle down a bit once worn regularly. If not, any good watchmaker can regulate the movement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the poster who suggested the watch will settle down a bit once worn regularly. If not, any good watchmaker can regulate the movement.
Yes, also currently it's in the box, always sits in one position , hopefully once it's worn it will improve. I will post an update 1-1,5 month from now. It maybe useful / interesting for someone with similar question.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d be happy with a 556 that ran +8 SPD. As others have said it might improve as it beds in.
Yes, now when think about it, it's not that bad, can definitely live with it. Will see how it performs in 1-1,5 month from now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, I wanted to add small engraving to the watch which will be a birthday present, and partially for that reason was considering Damasko DS30, they offer it when you order online. But then went for 556, it appeals more esthetically, but it has display case back and no space for engraving around it. Yesterday was watching Hodinkee video with Rene Beyer and noticed that one of his watched had print directly on the back glass. So I went online and found local servide who do laser engraving on the glass. I will remove caseback and send it to them tomorrow. Engraving should be ready in 5 days. Will share result for those who might be interested. 🖋

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 556A is running +8 spd too. It could do better but I'll say it is actually not bad, as long as it is running consistently at +8spd. Unlike some of my seikos which could swing from +1spd to -25spd within the same week !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 556A is running +8 spd too. It could do better but I'll say it is actually not bad, as long as it is running consistently at +8spd. Unlike some of my seikos which could swing from +1spd to -25spd within the same week !
Fully agree! I had negative experience with Seiko too. Both 7S36 and 6R15 were terrible when it comes to accuracy. I don't get why they are so praised.

·
Registered
142 Posts
try to place in it different positions when you sleep. definitely makes a difference and keep it wounded up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,885 Posts
The watch is fine. It just needs to be worn for a month or two to settle in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In the first month of wearing it, my 556A went from +5 to +2.5. When Dad starts wearing it, I bet its accuracy will improve. What a nice gift. I'd like to see that engraving on the case back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
In the first month of wearing it, my 556A went from +5 to +2.5. When Dad starts wearing it, I bet its accuracy will improve. What a nice gift. I'd like to see that engraving on the case back.
Thanks for the feedback! I have finally received my engraving. Overall, I am happy with it. The only thing is it is too bright (white) and difficult to read when installed back on the case. So if someone here decides on laser engraving, ask to do it in black/dark font.
I have closed the case back. Had it pressure tested. Fitted Hirsch Pure rubber strap and packed for shipping. Hope it arrives safely :)

DSC_1432_p_small.jpg
DSC_1434_p_small.jpg
DSC_1435_p_small.jpg
DSC_1436_p_small.jpg
DSC_1437_p_small.jpg
DSC_1438_p_small.jpg
DSC_1439_p_small.jpg
DSC_1440_p_small.jpg
DSC_1443_p_small.jpg
DSC_1445_p_small.jpg
DSC_1447_p_small.jpg
DSC_1448_p_small.jpg