WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, as some of you know, I recently acquired a Sinn 556A. I have been in love with this watch since I saw the 656 that whatmeworry used to own. I was always concerned that the size was too small. Last summer I pre ordered a Dagaz Thunderbolt to try a similar size/style out. I thought it looked good, but was a little thin. Anyway, that watch solidified the need for a Sinn 556. I recently sold the Thunderbolt to help find my Breitling, knowing that I would eventually buy a 556. I was fortunate enough to pick one up sooner than I expected.(Thanks Amuthini!!) Since getting the watch earlier this week, any and all doubts have been erased. This is one of the most comfortable and most legible watches I have ever owned. I am very confident in saying that this one will be sticking around for the long haul. I can't stop looking at it. I wish I had bought one sooner. I think everyone should buy one of these. It's that good. Go. Buy one.

uploadfromtaptalk1399603219546.jpg

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I had one as well, and prefer the 'A' dial to the 'I' dial which is no doubt dressier. Definitely legible with the dual AR and matte black instrument-style dial. Probably the smoothest screw down crown I've ever felt too.

My only gripes were that Sinn's satin finish scuffs easily, and that the hands are a little short.

I'm glad you found a keeper!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I keep looking at any sales thread featuring this watch. I love these meeces to pieces, yes I do! It's a perfect size I think. As I already have too many watches, I have been able to restrain myself, but why? It's so nice. :-!

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I've lusted after that watch off and on for years but I keep coming back to the small size. I'm glad it's wearing well size-wise for you. It's just one of those iconic watches.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've lusted after that watch off and on for years but I keep coming back to the small size. I'm glad it's wearing well size-wise for you. It's just one of those iconic watches.
My wrist is just under 7 3/4" and I think it fits great. It might look funny if you are over 8"

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
...to the small size
Guys, what is it with (most of) you? You all have giant hands and wrists or what? ;)

It still is a 40mm case, no? I would not consider that a small watch... and I also think that worst case, a small(er) watch will look better on a wrist than a watch that is too big.

just my 2 cents

Romain

...very nice Sinn by the way :) I almost forgot. It keeps showing up on my radar once in a while...

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I'm right at 8". I've only got one ~38mm watch and it's very borderline for being too small. (and a few 34-36mm which definitely are too small.) I think I'd need to see one in person first.

Edit for InsaneMainFrame it's 38.5mm. My wrist is ~8"/~20.5cm (I'm 195 cm tall.) I understand that too big and you start looking like a dork, but my normal size is 42-45mm. 40mm is borderline, and really only OK on a watch that "wears large." ~38mm is really pushing it for me.

Too small and it looks (to me) like I'm wearing a watch intended for ladies. Nothing personal ladies, but I don't want a ladies watch (just like I don't want a 55mm watch either!)

I appreciate that a lot of better brands make watches in 2-3 sizes to fit different people. I would *prefer* a 556 in ~41-43mm, but 38.5 might be OK, depending. Like I said, it's very borderline for being too small *for me.*

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 856 non UTC looks the same and is a full 40mm. It's also a little more expensive. If this one didn't work for me, I was gonna sell and save a bit for the 856.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That's a beautiful Sinn! Congrats. I am quite tempted by that same model, only problem is that my finances don't allow it right now. I love clean uncluttered dials.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Aaand I'm dumb. I just realized the 856 is a little larger. It's apparently 40mm.

Never mind me and enjoy your watch, Oilersfan!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Looks great on you... my favourite things about the 556 were the crystal which practically disappears and the satinized finish, giving it an understated look but still a little bit more pop than a regular brushed finish.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I think if Sinn made a 556 in 40-41mm it'd sell like hotcakes. The 556 is already a hot seller but a lot of guys would like a little larger version.

The 104 is a nice 41mm option, but the fully polished case and day/date isn't everyone's cup o tea. Plus there seems to be a chronic problem with the 104's Sellita SW200 date wheels being cockeyed or printed crooked...

The problem with the considerably more expensive 856 is that most 556 fans like that pretty satin finish. The 856 gives that up in favor of a dull grey Tegimented bead blasted case, plus it adds the (IMO) wonky 4:00 slanted date, and the arguably gimmicky Cu Sulfate capsule and Argon gas case filling that make servicing more hassle / expensive later on.

To me, a big part of the charm of simpler Sinn models like the 556, 104, 356/358 is the lack of Cu Sulfate capsules and inert gas filling. Just simple, honest high quality watches with TOP grade movements, that aren't full of stuff that makes them a pain to service.

Reactions: Dufresne

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
...of Cu Sulfate capsules and inert gas filling.
which is probably one of their few arguments for the constant (and quit important) price increases...

I like SINN a lot (have 2 of them), but in my opinion, they tend to drift away price-wise. I mean if even H. Sinn complains about it himself...

Romain

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Great watch, wanted one for a couple of years now

Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Lovely watch, would be great to get one but about 4-500 more than I'm willing to spend on a watch at the moment :-(

Ahh well, one day. In the mean time I'll live vicariously through your WRUW posts :-d

·
Registered
926 Posts
Lovely watch, would be great to get one but about 4-500 more than I'm willing to spend on a watch at the moment :-(

Ahh well, one day. In the mean time I'll live vicariously through your WRUW posts :-d
Plus I don't think the 'incoming' feature on your signature could cope with any more watches ;-)

Great watch by the way. A modern classic, imo.

Reactions: FrakkenPrawn

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Plus I don't think the 'incoming' feature on your signature could cope with any more watches ;-)

Great watch by the way. A modern classic, imo.
Very, very, very true hahaha. There are only 2 more watches I plan on getting this year thankfully.

Ok... 3 I forgot one.... Maybe 4... But that's it I swear....

I need help... :-d

Reactions: Lucible
1 - 20 of 43 Posts