WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I am currently in the market for either the Sinn 903 ST BE or a similar Breitling Navitimer. Does anyone here have both and can give a direct comparison? I'm leaning towards the Sinn as I doubt I'd ever come across one in the wild and I like that aspect of the Sinn. I also really like the 41mm size and that it sounds to be as good as, if not better, quality than the Breitling. Any pros and cons from each would be helpful.

Also - am thinking about buying a 104 white dial, just because, ha.

Any thoughts on this subject in general would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
62,849 Posts
The 903 does absolutely everything that that the Navi does but you don’t have to sell a kidney to buy a Sinn. Then only downside of the 903 is that you won’t have to keep it well away from water in case there a bit of damp in the air. You may be able to tell that I think the 903 to be a far superior watch to the Navi.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used to own a 2019 903 st be, and have only played with a navitimer in store.

When comparing the same ETA-based navitimer, the navitimer "feels" to be the slightly better watch. But, the 903 does have the sapphire crystal on the caseback (which I personally think is a plus). For the price, where the navitimer (new) is about 1.5-2x the price of the 903, the 903 is the better watch for the money.

When comparing to the B01 navitimer, the B01 is the better watch. But you pay for it @ the 8k+ msrp.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So... I'm a big fan of Sinn. The 903 is a "better" watch in every way vs. the Navi. HOWEVER, the navi does have a charm that the 903 doesn't have. And IMO the Navi feels just slightly more refined with a wonderful nostalgic charm. So for this reason, it's very hard for me to declare one as "better". If you want a modern watch that can take some wear and tear, the Sinn is probably the way to go. If money were no object, in all honestly... I'd probably choose the Navi.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I own both several Sinn 903 and Breitling Navitimer specimens (in my case Navitimer Cosmonaute versions with 24-hr dial), going back to the very early Navitimer and 903 models, and have repeatedly answered this question before.

The Sinn 903 is a worthy successor to the original Navitimer, has an interesting history how it was created when the original Breitling company went out of business, and has a superior water resistance, but a slightly more cumbersome circular slide rule than the Navitimer.
The Breitling Navitimer is considerably more expensive, never had an adequate water resistance (not even suitable for wearing in the shower), but is now fitted with Breitling in-house movements.
It is debatable whether these movements are any more reliable or accurate than the ETA/Valjoux 7750 that both Sinn and Breitling used in the past and that Sinn has now largely replaced with the near identical SW 500.

If you want “most bang for the buck” the Sinn is the better choice.
If you want a Breitling and the prestige that goes with the Breitling name, well then you have to be prepared to pay for it ...

There is a long and interesting history behind these models, and I don’t really want to repeat myself or what other have said many times before.
Just google “Sinn 903 vs Breitling Navitimer” and you will find a treasure trove of comments, but keep in mind that the respective Breitling or Sinn forums have a tendency to praise their own respective brands over the competing model.

Good luck.

B

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had Sinn 903 for almost two years, beautiful watch but sold it because I just couldn't use the slide rule with that extra crown at 10 (it gives it more water resistance).

Now I own Navitimer Heritage (little over two years now) which is V7750 in 42mm case with all black subdials (I prefer it over white subdials because it improves readability). WR is no issue for me, I don't shower with my watches, but I often wash them under tap water and it is no problem for Navi.

Enjoying Navitimer more than 903.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts