WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a Sinn 556 and a Damasko DA36. With both watches, the biggest disappointment was the lume. From what I understand they both have C1 (white) superluminova. Would a Fortis Flieger 595.11.41.L have superior illumination? I'm looking for both brightness and duration along the lines of a Seiko Monster or Omega Planet Ocean, both of which I've owned as well and blow the Sinn and Damasko out of the water.

Does anyone know if the superluminova used on the Fortis is C3 lume? I can't find documentation anywhere that specifies what specific coating of Superluminova it is.

Also, with both the Sinn and Damasko watches there were small quality concerns. The Damasko kept horrible time (+15 seconds a day), and the Sinn had uneven lume application and a fleck of dust under the crystal.

If anyone has owned a Flieger and either a Sinn or Damasko, I'd love to here a comparison regarding lume and general quality.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
All I can add to this is that my Sinn U1, while in all other respects being a wonderful watch, has lame-lume™. After extended exposure to bright light it remains illuminated for about twenty minutes. About as useful as a windshield wiper on a goat's butt.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No personal experience with Fortis, but the lume in a Sinn 103 I owned was, at best, mediocre. The Ocean7 pilot chrono I am wearing right now glows in the dark, and it will still be visible tomorrow morning. Also, it keeps good time.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Hi there I have not had a Sinn but I have a Damasko DA46 and a DA47 full dial lume.The lume on both is average and not great. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I have the DA373 with full lume dial. Because of the large surfact the time is readable until early morning, even if it is per square centimeter less luminous than, say, a Seiko diver.
But of course the reason is that Damasko used white luminova which looks splendid on this watch in daylight. It would not look as nice with a greenish dial. And yet it is for me luminous enough, as in it is usable throughout the night.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I had a Fortis Cosmonaut that was rather disappointing in the lume department, similar to my Sinn. But it's possible that the lume on other models is better.
Seiko and Omega generally have great lume, and you've had two of the best in the Monster and PO. You might have to lower your expectations a bit, or consider tritium watches.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'd go Stowa if I was looking for awesome lume on a pilot watch. The lume on my Prodiver was not perfectly even, but it was incredibly bright and long lasting. Leaps and bounds better than my new Monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've owned and flipped five Sinns. The lume is blotchy and not very bright on their pilot watches and divers with open sword hands. Big miss in my book. The 103 chrono with the needle hands was significantly better, but still nowhere near a Seiko or Omega diver.

It's even a bummer to get it resumed by someone, because you then have to have the inert gas replaced by a Sinn service.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Maybe I just have low expectations but u always felt that my 556 has great lume. Charges strong even after short time exposed to cloudy sunlight. Lume last all night too. I never had a monster but I did have a seiko snzg15. I put the lume on both watches on the same level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Fortis B42 Titanium Chronograph has terrible lume! My Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph GMT has amazing lume. If you want killer lume get a Tag Heuer Aquagraph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts