WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to be able to have a meeting at Sinn’s HQ in Frankfurt, We’re I got to speak to the Marketing Team and ask some questions which you guys posted on my YouTube channel,

·
Registered
649 Posts
I saw it, thanks for asking the questions. It seems that Sinn is more desirable in these days, I'm still impressed for the huge delays they're having.

Regarding the clasp, for sure I will be upgrading my clasps if they release a new one. Hopefully they will implement something really good.

Regarding the type of steel used for the bracelet, it's kind of disappointing. I have no experience with the Tegimented technology, I recently bought the U50 Tegimented, but I'm a little bit worried about the so called egg shell effect, I don't know if it's common, I just read in a very old thread that this happens when the Tegimented process is applied on a softer steel, but not with the submarine steel, for example. In any case, I haven't seen any photos showing how it looks.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Thanks for posting. Wouldn't it be great to be young again and go learn the watch trade.

Reactions: bazza.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Haven’t watched the video yet, but I’d like to know which components are made in China. Budget watches pretty much all have quite a lot of Chinese components. The label “Swiss made“ is a weak regulatory standard and “Made in Germany“ is even weaker.

Btw, I define a “budget watch” as under $2k. Please note I like Sinn enough to have recently purchased a Carnelian Red 556.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Nice, now if they can only figure out how to sell. I've given up getting a new Sinn 104 since the Watchbuys website won't let me click through the order process nor registration. I've tried different computers and browsers. Now I have my heart set on the Panerai I always wanted. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys for the kind moments glad you liked it 😊

Reactions: Radharc

·
Registered
812 Posts
... I'm a little bit worried about the so called egg shell effect, I don't know if it's common, I just read in a very old thread that this happens when the Tegimented process is applied on a softer steel, but not with the submarine steel, for example. In any case, I haven't seen any photos showing how it looks.
Not sure what the eggshell effect is, but I have a tegimented non-submarine steel 856S. It's held up very well over the years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Regarding the type of steel used for the bracelet, it's kind of disappointing. I have no experience with the Tegimented technology, I recently bought the U50 Tegimented, but I'm a little bit worried about the so called egg shell effect, I don't know if it's common, I just read in a very old thread that this happens when the Tegimented process is applied on a softer steel, but not with the submarine steel, for example. In any case, I haven't seen any photos showing how it looks.
"Eggshell" effect is typically referred to for PVD finish, where the difference in hardness causes the harder outer layer to flake off and leave the softer, inner surface exposed. As Tegiment is more continuous than just an applied layer, I would be very surprised if this were happening in any meaningful way.
I can witness as current and previous owner of both Tegimented and PVD-on-Tegimented watches made of non-submarine steel that they are extremely robust to say the least. I handled most of the work for moving stuff when settling into a new apartment myself: my 756 was always on my wrist and must have endured endless hits etc. - well, there are just two very minor shiny spots as a result, which likely only a WIS and no-one else can see.
This is not to say that it's indestructible or it won't ever show any marks, but it's much more robust than most other steels that the other watches I've owned are made of. The few cases I've seen of relative consumption of Tegimented finishes are all on PVD'ed watches and even for them, it's a very nice, almost "continuous" discolouring, much more beautiful than other PVDs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts