WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard sinn is using top grade ETA movement in SINN656, isn't it? I am compairing the Stowa airman and Sinn656, because I like them both but only buy one for my birthday. I do much care about the movement of these two watch, which one is better?(ignor the magnetism and water resistant ability). I heard Sinn656 movement looks crude but it uses better rotor and hairspring. How is its accuracy?

The top grade movement:

Top:
5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Top and Chronometre:
Mainspring - NivaflexNM
Shock protection - Incabloc
Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
Balance - Glucydur gilt
Balance staff - Epilame coated
Collet - Nivatronic
Hairspring - Anachron
Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable
(Mike, S. https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=98379)

V

·
0 Posts
I heard sinn is using top grade ETA movement in SINN656, isn't it? I am compairing the Stowa airman and Sinn656, because I like them both but only buy one for my birthday. I do much care about the movement of these two watch, which one is better?(ignor the magnetism and water resistant ability). I heard Sinn656 movement looks crude but it uses better rotor and hairspring. How is its accuracy?

The top grade movement:

Top:
5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Top and Chronometre:
Mainspring - NivaflexNM
Shock protection - Incabloc
Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
Balance - Glucydur gilt
Balance staff - Epilame coated
Collet - Nivatronic
Hairspring - Anachron
Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable
(Mike, S. https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=98379)
Mike Sandler, the moderator of the timezone Sinn forum confirmed that all Sinn watches use Chronometre grade movements. Out of the box, accuracy range from 1s onwards but all of them can be regulated to about 1-2s a day easily.

Not sure about the Stowa though.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I would send Jorg an e-mail to inquire re: the Airman.
Stowa watches are generally quite accurate and can of course be regulated.
Cosc option is always available with Stowa.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike Sandler, the moderator of the timezone Sinn forum confirmed that all Sinn watches use Chronometre grade movements. Out of the box, accuracy range from 1s onwards but all of them can be regulated to about 1-2s a day easily.

Not sure about the Stowa though.

Really? All of Sinn watches use top/chronometre grade movements, including the cheapest one sinn556?

I have not had a Sinn watch. Then you guys Sinn watches must be accurate and stable. I am think of Sinn556 now.

V

·
0 Posts
Really? All of Sinn watches use top/chronometre grade movements, including the cheapest one sinn556?

I have not had a Sinn watch. Then you guys Sinn watches must be accurate and stable. I am think of Sinn556 now.
To be sure, do a search on said forum. Note that some of the models may be troublesome to regulate because of the special technologies incorporated to keep H20 out (e.g. Ar gas, CuSO4 capsule). The average watchmaker probably can't/won't handle something like that properly.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You're missing the point here

You're missing the point here.

The term "base" in this context means "base movement" or "forming or serving as a base", not "ïnferior in value or quality".

Admittedly, Orbita could have chosen a better description, but if you look at other brands that use ETA movements, you will find this recurring term in the Orbita list. Would that mean that only the cheapest ETA movements are used by these companies? I think not.

Incidentally, ETA movement grades are Standard, Elaboré, Top and Chronometre. The Standard grade may not be available for all movements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: You're missing the point here

No sir Kirt, I think you are missing the point, I simply copied the descritpion from the list of movements that i found, I was not inferring that the movement was basic. To be sure, I did not see any descriptions in the list that said "super chrono movement" or "top-of-the-line cadaillac of movements" listed (just kidding). But, seriously, thanks for the information. I know little about watches and movements.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The base movement is not the same meaning as standard grade.

2824 movement is base movement but it still can be classify to standard grade, elabouree grade, top grade and chronometer grade.

Some of elabouree grade movements are improved. Their wheel balance or hairspring or something else are changed to be a higher level one but the movements still do not match the top grade level. I do not except the movement to be top grade now because I got the confirmation from sinn that they use elaboure grade movement. I just wonder whether sinn improve their elabouree grade 2824movements or do nothing with them-just keep the raw elabouree grade movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts