WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Watchuseekers,
Time has come for me to buy my first "real" watch.

For this project :) I have few goals that would like to achieve. Some of those are maybe opposite, so I need your help to make good balance :).

My goals are:
1) Not spend more than 1k eur in EU (achievable by all alternatives)
2) Have good quality everyday watch wearable on casual outfit, as well as suits
3) Case size 38-42mm, thickness up to 12mm
4) To have good reselling value (not to lose much) one day when I decide to sell my watch
5) Not to be perceived as "cheap" in corporate environment (medium to senior management), but rather as someone who knows to chose sofisticated quality over being a "slave" to brands

My targeted watches are:
1) Eterna Kontiki Date 1222.41.41.1301
2) Fortis Cockpit One 704.21.18 L.01
3) Hamilton Khaki Field h70555533
4) Sinn 556 I
5) Other, similar style, that you would like to suggest

Many thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Will add photos in following post.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sinn 556 or 556i look great on the H link bracelet and versatile in terms of leather strap combinations. Really is a great all round watch. One on eBay uk right now for a good price if you put an offer in.

Oris divers 65 would be my second option again buy a lightly used one if possible.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
As a big Hamilton fan, I would say they aren't on the same level as the 556 or Kontiki. In that price range, I think you hit some good ones. I'd go for the Sinn if you like it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I've owned the Damasko DA36 and now picked up the Sinn 556 and I'd say I like the Sinn better. The dimensions and details seem to work in harmony a tad better. I also find the weight to be more wearable than the Damasko. My vote is for the 556.

If you want something a bit flashier and retro looking, then the Oris 65

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I don't know the wrist size. Right now don't have any tool to measure it.
But I tried all of those and they all look good on my wrist.

First saw Eterna and was amazed with the quality till I tried Sinn few days ago which is I guess of same if not better quality finishing, but Eterna has better history...
Hamilton - least potential for losing value due to lowest price and Fortis I can get for good price, although it is not favourable comparing with rest three...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sinn 556 or 556i look great on the H link bracelet and versatile in terms of leather strap combinations. Really is a great all round watch. One on eBay uk right now for a good price if you put an offer in.

Oris divers 65 would be my second option again buy a lightly used one if possible.
Many thanks also for this info regarding offer on ebay!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I really dig that Eterna Kontiki. If it were only about looks that would be my first choice. The Sinn 556 is a great watch, but I’d prefer the 104 (white dial). It’s less sterile.

·
Premium Member
5,006 Posts
I love that Eterna but they wear large. I have an 8 inch wrist and was shocked how big the watch looked on me.

Reactions: drwindsurf

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
556i - very versatile, top grade 2824, stark black and white contrast. I just bought it back again after a while without one.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
As a brand, I prefer Hamilton and eterna from that list. However, of the selected models, and with your desired “fit”, I’d take the Sinn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Forget the hammy just because it’s cheaper and resale value. Buy the watch that appeals to you and the best quality within your budget. If you put an offer on that Sinn 556 on eBay now and get it at a good price you won’t lose when you come to sell. I don’t even know why I’m telling you this as if it’s atill for sale at the end of the month when I get paid I’m going to put an offer in for it as the 556 is a great versatile watch I would love to have as part of a rotation

·
900 Posts
The Intramatic is the watch to get from Hamilton. If you like fliegers, look @Stowa.

If you want to appear really sophisticated, Nomos (above budget...).

1 - 20 of 89 Posts