WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I hope to post this in such a way as to not imply this is a WTB post. I have done so in the appropriate area on WUS. However, if this in any way is a rules violation I will understand if the thread is removed. Honestly, I'm just trying to find a way to fix my beloved Sinn. :)

Does anybody have a source for Sinn parts? Sinn will not sell parts directly to my watchmaker, and RGM has told him I'll need to send the watch directly to them for service in order to have the parts replaced (which I am unwilling to do right now as it was service by my local guy about 14 months ago).

I have an email in with Sinn and am awaiting a response. Have already contacted watchbuys and Stoll & Co., but with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

-Al-

·
Registered
449 Posts
Would be interested to obtain a couple of drying capsules.....!

·
Registered
128 Posts
it would be interesting to kno which Sinn you own.
it might be that simply doesn't want to send the parts because your local watchmaker couldn't (properly) use them

might be that your watch is Ar filled, or has the special Sinn oil,...

·
Registered
264 Posts
it would be interesting to kno which Sinn you own.
it might be that simply doesn't want to send the parts because your local watchmaker couldn't (properly) use them

might be that your watch is Ar filled, or has the special Sinn oil,...

Quality control is sometimes a problem with Sinn, but I think their approach in this case is correct. By servicing inhouse or with known agents, Sinn can be certain that a watch is properly and thoroughly serviced. Rgs David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, the watch is your basic, bare bones 103st. Acrylic crystal, non screw-down pushers. The parts that need replacing are the screw-dow crown and stem. The stem is a non-issue, really, as any V7750 stem off the shelf will work (would just need to be properly trimmed by a watchmaker). It's the crown that's presenting a problem. My guy can install a generic one, but it will be shorter than the original. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about that as he tells me the threads are pretty standard, and it should be able to remain water resistant. What troubles me is that as this particular model has the crown protectors and I think the shorter crown may not look right. I'm having him install it anyway as if I can find an original he can always put it in later.

So anyway, it's a simple fix for any experienced watchmaker, I just want to use the correct parts.

Since I'm on the topic I guess I'm frustrated that Sinn would follow this line of thinking. Preventing independent watchmakers from getting original parts seems in my mind to encourage them to use generic. That end result is exactly opposite, I would think, what Sinn is trying to accomplish with this policy.

I realize many other companies have adopted this policy, and I understand the multitude of reasons, I just think that in some ways such policies tend to hurt the end consumer, rather than help them.

In the end, it's their policy. If I can't find a source for the crown I'll wait until the watch needs servicing again (about another 18 months) and send it to RGM. During the service they can replace the generic crown with an original.

-Al-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watchbuys + RGM = FANTASTIC!!!

When I logged in to my mail this morning I had a message to call Rob with Watchbuys regarding my Sinn. He and I had a long, and very pleasant discussion about my watch, what's been going on, what my watchmaker was told, and he told me, etc. Rob has asked me to send the watch to RGM to a specific person's attention, and to mention my conversation with Rob. He assures me that RGM will replace only what is necessary and not do a service on the watch. Talk about great customer service! This is exactly what I wanted, and I am very impressed with the response from Rob with Watchbuys and his clear dedication to after-sales customer service of Sinn watches.

I would like to thank everybody who gave me public and private advice regarding this issue (Jurgen -- you really went above and beyond). I could not have asked for a better outcome.

Thanks everyone!

-Al-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts