WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want this watch. I have done a fair amount of research on it and came across the fully tegimented version. I find this incredibly cool. First off, is this available anywhere? Where might I find one? If not possible to find new, how often do they come up used?
Also, I think it's cool, but is this a benefit over the regular version in actual use? Or is it just a gimmick?
My second concern about the watch is the AR coating? I'm kind of anal about watch crystal scratches. Has this been a problem for people who own the watch?
Lastly, since there is no store to try on this watch, how heavy does it feel on the wrist? It looks heavy, but obviously, it's hard to tell from pics.
I would really appreciate anyone's thought or opinions Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There was a batch of tegimented U1's (U1-T) sold by Watchbuys a few years ago. If you can't find one of those on the used market, you can special order one from Sinn (through Watchbuys). They're not rare or hard to get, just a little more expensive than the regular U1.

AR coating has been ok. No scratches on mine, but it hasn't gotten a ton of wrist time lately. Does smudge easily as many AR coatings do.

U1 is 113g, which is about right for a 44mm steel watch. It wears well and does not feel unusually heavy or big. Wears very comfortably.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,824 Posts
foodle has answered your questions well. I had a U1 and sold it to get a U1T just because I wanted a fully tegimented version. As tough as the U1 is, I think you would be happy with it. I have not seen a used U1 T come up on the sales forum in ages, but they do sometimes come up. In either case, you can't go wrong with a Sinn U1. The U1 T has a slightly darker gray finish than the U1 and you will see the tegimented symbol on the bracelet clasp. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am after the same model. I asked the Sinn factory about this fully tegimented case for the U1 and this is available in Frankfurt.
I will pick one up when I can, hopefully before the summer.

I am following the sales sections for quite a long time, and this model is very hard to find.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I think it helps a lot. I guess my only remaining question is, is the tegimentation worth it? I've debated whether the bezel would be enough. The regular u1 looks like a tank. And for those with the U1-T, is it really that much more scratch resistant? It's a bug decision, since its the difference between buying the watch used for a U1 or new for the U1-T.
Decisions, decisions...

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,156 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I think it helps a lot. I guess my only remaining question is, is the tegimentation worth it? I've debated whether the bezel would be enough. The regular u1 looks like a tank. And for those with the U1-T, is it really that much more scratch resistant? It's a bug decision, since its the difference between buying the watch used for a U1 or new for the U1-T.
Decisions, decisions...
While I have had a U1 for a while, I have been wearing it constantly
for the past 60 days. There are no scratches on the case. Though
I think the Tegiment process is not a gimmick, based on my sample
of one, I think it isn't needed. Buying used saves the cost of the
tegimented case and the initial depreciation.
Snow Winter Freezing Vehicle Geological phenomenon

To me the U1 feels heavy. I would prefer it to be lighter and
thinner, but the weight has not kept me from wearing it.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hard to determine "worth" since that's a personal decision based on your needs and finances.

As for scratch resistance of tegimented vs non, hard to conduct a controlled experiment unless you have both versions and want to try to intentionally scratch your watches in matched experiments. The numbers from Sinn indicate significantly increased hardness, but how that translates to real world scratch resistance is unclear.

As anecdotal evidence, my U1-T is a few years old and it looks brand new. It isn't on my wrist much anymore, but it did see a lot of wrist time previously. Definitely not a safe queen.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had had a normal U1 for 5 months. I think I wore it roughly, but there was no scratch except the buckle. Even I couldn't find it unless I tried to see it in certain angle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have and regularly wear a Sinn U1-T. I typically wear it either on a Zulu strap or on the Tegimented bracelet. Over the past year that I have owned the watch I have used it while at work, while doing yard work, and while doing various outdoors activities. The watch head looks new without a scratch. However, the counter top surfaces at work have finely scratched my bracelet. There are some threads about the tegimented bracelet and this "issue". The AR coating is really cool. When the crystal is clean it disappears. I haven't had a problem with scratching the crystal. The Sinn U1 is a great watch which melds form and function. I would highly recommend the watch (both tegimented and non-tegimented versions) for anyone who leads an active lifestyle.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I can't comment on the tegimenting, since I've never had a tegimented Sinn (although I believe the bezel on the regular U1 is tegimented) but even my regular U1s seemed very resistant to scratches. But as Foodle mentioned, there are #s to substantiate the additional protection. I'm not overly concerned with case scratches, so for me I'd probably just go for the regular version if getting the Tegimented one proved difficult. Crystal scratches do drive me nuts, though, not to mention smudges, so the outer AR coating on the U1 is a negative for me. But it wouldn't keep me from buying a U1, I'd just remove the coating. I did find the U1 heavy, but that's all relative, I'm used to smaller, lighter watches. The weight wouldn't prevent me from wearing one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Either way you cant go wrong... I went to the U1-T because of research on its ability to resist scratches. I have knocked it a few times and so far not a mark.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
bought a used 103 st from a office Guy, alot of scratches on the watch Face, so i decided that i need to take e AR off,

just use JIF and Green color kitchen scrub, took me like 1 hr, now e face looks veri clear!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Snice this is a post concerning the U1 Tegiment or not, i have a question.
The 757/U1000 tegiment bracelet fits the U1. The color of the tegiment steel is a bit darker from what i have red on this topic and other thread also.
The question is simple: with a U1 Tegiment, the best match is to have the tegiment bracelet?

If someone here have a picture with the U1 T and the U1000/757 tegiment bracelet, i am very interested.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 856 UTC which is fully tegimented, and can say after a few less-than-delicate strap changes that the treatment does appear to work. If the price premium is not excessive, I would go for the fully tegimented U1. You might be able to pass on at least part of the extra cost if/when you sell the watch, if the prospective buyers are familiar with Sinn and the tegiment process.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,824 Posts
Snice this is a post concerning the U1 Tegiment or not, i have a question.

The question is simple: with a U1 Tegiment, the best match is to have the tegiment bracelet?
Yes, to have the best match, you need the tegimented case and the tegimented bracelet. My pic above is my U1 T and the match is good. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just grabbed a U1T on WUS a couple days ago. It was posted for only an hour and I was lucky enough to see it at the right time. Took me 10 seconds to make the decision and i thought a steal at $1375. I have to report, after 3 days of wearing it non-stop, I LOVE IT! I also own an all black U2 EZM 5, fully tegimented. I really like that watch, too, but the U1 really has won me over. The U2 might be up for sale soon ... It's perfect.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's really what I think, i never saw a picture of a teg case and a teg bracelet that were very different in terms of color, but the seller i am in cnotact with for that purchase told me that it would be different enough to be noticed at the first sight.
We will see that when i have it, decision made: go full teg!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad you are happy with the watch. I've been waiting for one and can't believe I missed it. I've been checking watch recon regularly. It let me down on this one. Great find. Congrats, but I can't help but be disappointed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good catch! I was lucky enough to pick mine up after it was flipped only a few months after it was bought and got it for a great price plus warranty.

I am not sure how often the fully tegimented bracelets come up for sale but I have to say they are super nice and you many want to consider it.

For those on the hunt don't give up!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts