WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question in connection with the fully PVD coated Sinn U1S to anyone that owns this watch or has tried it on and had a chance to compare it to the non PVD coated U1.

Does it wear smaller or larger than the non PVD coated version?

Never tried on a fully PVD coated watch, so not sure if they wear smaller or larger?

The main reason for not trying one on is the longevity of the coating. But I think Sinn have nailed this and wouldn't be worried about it on this watch.

I like the size of the watch and would prefer it over the new 41mm U50. But would like to know the above before deciding what version to go for.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't have U1S, but do have U1W (White Dial PVD) and U2S. The PVD version of both watches feels less toolish than non PVD version, but I don't feel it wears smaller. They are about the same.
As to the coating longevity, no worries there. Both of my PVD U's have seen regular usage over the years and both still look great. The only worry you might have on the PVD version of the Sinn is if you also get one on the PVD bracelet as those seem to pick ups scratches more easily, especially on the clasp. But that is true for any bracelet.

Reactions: nimzotech

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply and the information. Glad to hear the PVD coating doesn't wear larger.

I get the bracelet might get a few chips etc bit Sinn seem to have it nailed with their treatment of the steel and then the coating to reduce this to a minimum.

That U1W looks stunning, I'm guessing this was a limited edition watch?

If it was still available it would def go to top of the list from Sinn.

Hope you enjoy it

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
I've owned the U1-ST for nearly a year, and just recently picked up the "standard" U1 w/tegimented bezel. TBH, to me they wear the same. No noticeable size difference. (maybe because there isn't any! :-d)

Also fyi, within the past month I fell forward into the corner of a wall in my house, and my arm scraped across it VERY hard. (including my U1-ST) I looked at the watch, and saw what looked like 2-3 small areas where the black hard coating came off. Looked at it more closely under magnification and that's exactly what it LOOKED like. However, when I scraped it with my fingernail, it came off! The wall lost. Turned out to be small bits of white paint from the wall, I guess. Watch is fine! (my arm is too)

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 4.22.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 1.51.31 PM.png

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice watches^!!
Proud to announce, I've just joined the Sinn U1 club!!
I got the earlier version with the ETA mvmt.
Should be here today or tomorrow.
This item came serviced, anything I should know about the U1, besides the win VS wall lol ???

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just like in clothing - black is slimming. It’s not a Sinn PVD thing; but a color effect thing (even though black is not a color but you get my drfit).

I have a 7” wrist and was concerned the watch might be too big for my wrist to be practical. I’m pleased the U1 wears fine - thanks to German engineering of the watch (the short curved lugs of the U1 make the watch curve with the strap around the wrist).

You can’t go wrong.
Cheers

I Sinn, therefore I am.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, pardon any spelling errors.

Reactions: wkw

·
Registered
819 Posts
I personally think the S versions "feel" slightly smaller but as you can see in this thread plenty of people disagree with me :). Either way, they are very close and/or identical in reality.

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
I have no physical experience with Sinn but both watches look nice. The PVD version appears slightly more appealing to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a standard U1, a Standard UX (bracelet) and a U1 SE, fully tegimented with PVD coating on the watch and clasp.
Both U1's have the rubber straps and wear identically - The SE looks the more understated.
Not had the SE long enough to comment on durability, but it needs to go some in the next 5 years to equal the standard U1 with tegimented bezel only.
The UX despite being slimmer suffers from a bracelet I just can't get a good fit on. What is good in July will spin on my 8" wrist in January.
For me the Sinn rubber with large clasp is 50% of the comfort of the U series. The combination of the huge clasp, metal pins & fitted/bolstered silicone strap just seems to balance the watch & cosset the wrist. It never feels tight, loose, clammy or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thank you very much for the reply and the information. Glad to hear the PVD coating doesn't wear larger.

I get the bracelet might get a few chips etc bit Sinn seem to have it nailed with their treatment of the steel and then the coating to reduce this to a minimum.

That U1W looks stunning, I'm guessing this was a limited edition watch?

If it was still available it would def go to top of the list from Sinn.

Hope you enjoy it

Thanks again.
They just released a limited (150 pieces) run of U2W. I missed out on the U1W and this one is actually better esthetically and is tegimented. 50 pieces left from US. US Sinn is limited to 100(1-100) and Japan Sinn is limited to 50(101-150).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts