Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Had problems but got them fixed..ok now and very happy with it

Votes: 2 3.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen several threads both here and elsewhere on watchuseek where members have reported serious problems with their Sinn U2s. I used to think that the U2s were really robust, reliable and well built watch. That was based on my ownership experience.

Over the last 6 months or so, I have been reading with great interest, the threads and posts which have popped up here and elsewhere concerning some, shall we say, less than spectacular reports on the construction and reliability of their U2s. In fact, in some cases, the watches they owned have experienced serious and castastrophic problems with their movements, others have reported poorly applied a/r coatings and others dial and hand misalignments.

So, the question begs to be asked, how bad is it? How many are problematic to the point of tarnishing the ownership experience and forcing the owners to send it in for repairs or sell it … or both. How many have had no problems at all.

Let’s try a simple poll, inaccurate of course, but at least a ball park sort of look at it.

Of the past and present owners of U2s and owners of multiple U2s…>

How many …

Have received a U2 which was as described by the company and has held up to the positive expectations experienced before ownership and after the honeymoon period, can honestly recommend it?

Have not been impressed by their U2’s performance or reliability or workmanship to the point of ruining your ownership experience and forced you to have it repaired or sell it or both and …as a result, cannot or will not recommend it?

Have received the U2 and have been mostly happy with it but have experienced or noticed some issues which may or may not be considered by some as minor or inconsequential and to you not a major issue but something that might be addressed when servicing comes around and, after thought, generally won't commit to any recommendation or condemnation.

Lets see what comes up and Mr. Schmitt, if your listening and I hope you are, you may have an official forum on TZ but this is the real world Sinn forum and I think you should be looking at this with great interest.

p.s. It is important that all U2 owners participate for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Registered
695 Posts
Had mine, was very happy until I had to send it to Germany for what would constitute a minor repair as the AR coat came off, which if it was the U1, could have been serviced locally.

Still the trip to Germany, a overall positive experience after missing the watch for 3 months. But after several weeks having the watch back, it seems that the watch is running a little slow, about 1 minute per day.

I hope this would not mean another trip to Germany...:think:

·
Registered
128 Posts
can't really say....

as long as the U2 is on my wrist - absolutely great.
but now it's off to frankfurt for the second time within one year, so i think i could be happier.

waiting till i get it back this time and then i'll tell you ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi,

I bought mine - used - on june, 30th 06.

Its a fantastic tool and allround watch and I got no one problem since this time.

Since few days a visit to the Sinn factory brings an alternate watch to me - not sooo sporty, but allround, too. Its the Sinn 203 Jubiläum (jubilee). The special edition from the Sinn founding (1961) to the jubilee year 2006.

http://megaupload.de/bild.php?Bild=38u7zdp46h.jpg

cheers
U2inSpe

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Problems with mine, loved the watch though (look, feel, design)
I think the problems that some of us experience is due to the fact that the U2 uses a lot of innovative new technologies used for the first time in a watch. Once these technologies are further developed and ripened I am sure that there will be a higher grade of reliability.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree, this is an interesting thread but why are there only 4-5 replies compared with the U1 thread, my goodness :-d

Either U2 owners are a contented and shy lot or is there really nothing much to say about the U2 ...:-d

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought mine less than 2 weeks ago, so far so good. :-!

In fact, I must say that I'm very satisfied with it. Put away my Glycine Airman 9 (cost sin$1k more) which I purchased last month, and had been wearing this watch since.

I like the feel, the ruggedness and the look. And also the UTC which is 1 of my requirement.

As with other brand's watches, they bond to have problems. It's mechanical movements afterall!! I bought a "branded" new watch few months back for more than twice U2 price. To my horror, it was going at +2hrs a day!!! :-| Had not got it back from repair since and I'm now trying to negociate with the shop to trade for other brand's watch.

Basically, for the price of U2......I must say it's 1 of the best watch I had ever purchased. ;-)

·
Registered
695 Posts
See Dracula, you finally made the right choice :-d and if it was not for this forum, you will still be hunting for a suitable UTC watch right ;-)

Lets be honest about it, in spite of a few negative comments about the U2 earlier, nothing has stopped people from continuing to purchase this damn rock solid watch as tested by Tim :-!

So |> |> |> for Sinn U2

·
Registered
215 Posts
This has to be one of the most intriguing watches I have. One of the reasons I looked into the U line was the uniqueness and hardiness of it's caseing, looks an features. I wouldn't trade it and I would highly recommend either this or it's U1 brother. Purchased the Sinn leather strap with red stitching...thank you very much, looks fantastic and wears like a second skin! someone wrote on another post that it's not something they'd wear under a suit, couldn't disagree any more. i think it is an extension of personality. i'm tempted to pick up the U1 as well. great addition to the line, Sinn! keep em coming!!!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have had mine for over three weeks and it has not left my wrist. This is quite a reflection on the watch in light of the fact that I took delivery of a brand new stainless and gold 50th anniversary GMT ll Rolex right before Christmas. It runs like a champ gaining between 2-3 seconds a day. My only complaint is that the divers bezel is a hair off which only bothers a neurotic anal compulsive person like me. Also, I wear the watch everyday with a suit and it goes well....a Glashutte or Jaeger would look a tad more elegant but my Sinn does the trick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

After consulting some of the fellow sinners in this forum, i have went ahead and bought an U2. The watch is just fantastic. Been wearing it on my wrist for about a week now. Its been gaining abt +3 to 4 seconds a day. Definitely a good buy and the watch looks really cool. Will definitely recommend to people who are keen to own a sinn watch. Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my U2 last Sep and I am very happy with it. It keeps time within the COSC specifications and survive the vigourous vibration during my 3 weeks of cycling tours last Dec with the watch.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Roger. How bout a few lines, once you get a few hundred hours on your U2, in the U series ownership experience thread sticky. It's a great one stop resource for those who are looking at purchasing a U and the more input the better.

thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Registered
466 Posts
Figured I'd post something as I have run into a problem with my U2. Second owner of this particular watch which is in fantastic condition and could pass for new. I have been running into a recurring problem where the watch will stop at various times. Some days it will run fine, other days the second hand will stop always at the .45 second area and the watch will cease to run. I spoke to Rob and Tim at watchbuys and regardless of how well we wound the watch (shaking it, manually winding from the crown, watch winder for few days) the problem would always pop up.

The watch is still well within warranty so off to Germany it goes for servicing. Thems the breaks when you have an argon filled case, but I knew that when I purchased the watch.

Overall though, despite the problem I really do like the watch. It has a great look to it, sits well on my wrist, and due to the tegimenting it is nearly impervious to any sort of noticeable wear. I'm looking forward to getting it back from Sinn and will post again once they determine what the problem was and how they corrected it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dennis and Roger for your efforts in reporting your experiences here. Roger, your post in the Ownership experience thread is appreciated also.

|>

Sounds like something is getting stuck Dennis. Yes, please keep us posted. :thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
Small update on my U2 that was sent in for servicing. Sinn received the watch last Monday and I was just sent this email this morning:

ORDER CONFIRMATION
After thoroughly inspecting your watch we can now send you
the following order confirmation.
The works will be carried out under warranty on our general
terms and conditions.
Watch for repair under warranty - No commercial value
1 1 ak.prüf 0,00 EUR 0,00 EUR
Uhr/Werk gem. Kundenangaben prüfen
ET - BD mbst KD 9/05 GG 21 0,0 247KU202 LI io GH krho1seitl
krantiref10+10-11->zentr TS l DIV blst
2 1 ak.gangrein 33,61 EUR 33,61 EUR
Reinigung/Justierung der Gangpartie
cleaning balance system
3 1 ak.ra 15,13 EUR 15,13 EUR
Prüfung von Reglage und Ablauf
testing precision and autonomy
4 1 ak.ar04 58,82 EUR 58,82 EUR
Argonfüllung Modell U2 imRahmen von Rev./Rep.
refilling argon change dehumidifying capsule
5 1 ak.wd01 0,00 EUR 0,00 EUR
Wasserdichtigkeitsprüfung
waterresistance test
6 1 gar1020.010 - 107,56 EUR - 107,56 EUR

I'm not sure how long this will take or when I'll get it back but I'll let you all know the turn around time on the entire process. The prices listed on the repair are for non warranty. I was informed that I would only have to pay for them if my watch had been past its 2 year warranty period.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts