WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big news, gents. The Sinn U50 Professional just dropped on WatchBuys. 150 units will be made, and you can put down your non-refundable $900 deposit right now. I have been searching for a U1 Pro in the aftermarket without luck, but this one suits me better for my 7.0-inch wrist. I just put my deposit down and can't wait. I'm gonna keep this short. Just wanted to put out the news. Here's the link, specs, and photos. Great job, Sinn and Chris Shortell!

Limited Edition 150 Pieces
The most advanced U50 Sinn has created

• Watch diameter (mm): 41.0
• Watch height (mm): 12.5
• Lug width (mm): 20
• Lug to lug (mm): 47
• Weight - head only (grams): 74
• Water resistance: 500 meters
• Case back: Solid
• Case finish: Matte
• Case metal: Submarine steel
• Dial color: Black
• Front crystal: Sapphire
• Tegimented: Fully
• Movement: Automatic mechanical
• Manufacturer's limited warranty: 2 years
• Warranty service: RGM or Sinn

Watch Analog watch Automotive design Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch White Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Automotive tire Clock Gauge

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Damnnn
I have a u50 SDR. but i want this too!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I love me some Sinn, but a few things I don't get here (and maybe I'm missing something). Pulled this from the Watchbuys site with my comments below each:

The new Sinn U50 Professional differs from the standard Sinn U50 in the following important ways:
  • First Sinn U50 to feature a domed sapphire crystal rather than flat for superior water resistance and legibility
    • Buy yet it's still 500m water resistant, same as the original, and they've managed to add over 1mm of thickness. No thanks.
  • First Sinn U50 to relocate the crown to the left side of the case as Sinn does with many of their Mission Timer EZM special forces watches
    • Okay, this is fine and I dig it.
  • First Sinn U50 to feature white BGW9 Super Luminova for superior visibility and lume at night (BGW9 has a relative brightness of 300% higher than the C1 used on the standard Sinn U50)
    • Okaaay... sure, I guess. Personally, I've never cared for BGW9, but sure why not.
  • First Sinn U50 with time only display (no date) for clean layout and improved legibility
    • I know people love no date watches, but do we still have the phantom date position? I bet we do.
  • First Sinn U50 designed with the color scheme featured in the Sinn EZM 1
    • I think making the seconds hand black really takes away from the charm of the original, but perhaps I'd need to see it in person to make this final judgement.
It seems like a nice watch, although I also wouldn't mind if Sinn cooled it with the limited editions - they're approaching Omega levels, but it doesn't for a second make me want to sell my original U-50.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
  • First Sinn U50 to feature white BGW9 Super Luminova for superior visibility and lume at night (BGW9 has a relative brightness of 300% higher than the C1 used on the standard Sinn U50)
300% brighter? Geeze, makes the standard model look pretty lame.
Yeah, not so sure about that second hand.

I guess they are competing with Seiko on the limited edition front.

·
Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Nice. Not nice enough to replace my U1T but nice. I'm sure they will sell out quickly.

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
This isn’t necessarily for me but even if it were, the second hand seems ill-considered.

[SARCASM]Why not just paint the whole thing black while you’re at it? Heck, why have a second hand at all?[/SARCASM]

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got #81.
Still waiting on my U50 blue....

Reactions: JorgeB and JJ312

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a very tempting watch. Only downside for me is the 20mm strap width, otherwise the dimensions are ideal. I'm surprised at how much I like the seconds hand, as well. Really nice choice, guys: congrats to all taking the plunge!

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's a very tempting watch. Only downside for me is the 20mm strap width, otherwise the dimensions are ideal. I'm surprised at how much I like the seconds hand, as well. Really nice choice, guys: congrats to all taking the plunge!
Agree. Unlike some, I really like the black seconds hand. The red was a bit much and limited the strap options a bit

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love me some Sinn, but a few things I don't get here (and maybe I'm missing something). Pulled this from the Watchbuys site with my comments below each:

The new Sinn U50 Professional differs from the standard Sinn U50 in the following important ways:
  • First Sinn U50 to feature a domed sapphire crystal rather than flat for superior water resistance and legibility
    • Buy yet it's still 500m water resistant, same as the original, and they've managed to add over 1mm of thickness. No thanks.
  • First Sinn U50 to relocate the crown to the left side of the case as Sinn does with many of their Mission Timer EZM special forces watches
    • Okay, this is fine and I dig it.
    • Okaaay... sure, I guess. Personally, I've never cared for BGW9, but sure why not.
  • First Sinn U50 with time only display (no date) for clean layout and improved legibility
    • I know people love no date watches, but do we still have the phantom date position? I bet we do.
  • First Sinn U50 designed with the color scheme featured in the Sinn EZM 1
    • I think making the seconds hand black really takes away from the charm of the original, but perhaps I'd need to see it in person to make this final judgement.
It seems like a nice watch, although I also wouldn't mind if Sinn cooled it with the limited editions - they're approaching Omega levels, but it doesn't for a second make me want to sell my original U-50.
Yes, the added thickness is a bit of a surprise. 1.5mm more? I wonder what the reason is. I could not find the thickness measurement for the U1 Pro as compared to the U1's 14.7mm thickness. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is a significant jump from 11mm. The black second hand doesn't bother me (yet). At least it's white-tipped. The look is consistent with the minute and hour hands, at least. I prefer no date on this simple of a dial.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yes, the added thickness is a bit of a surprise. 1.5mm more? I wonder what the reason is. I could not find the thickness measurement for the U1 Pro as compared to the U1's 14.7mm thickness. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is a significant jump from 11mm. The black second hand doesn't bother me (yet). At least it's white-tipped. The look is consistent with the minute and hour hands, at least. I prefer no date on this simple of a dial.
The thickness increase is due solely to the domed crystal.

1 - 20 of 856 Posts