Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Had problems but got them fixed..ok now and very happy with it

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Same as the U1 and U2 polls but for you owners, past and present of UXs.

Have received a UX which was as described by the company and has held up to the positive expectations experienced before ownership and after the honeymoon period, can honestly recommend it?

Have not been impressed by their UX’s performance or reliability or workmanship to the point of ruining your ownership experience and forced you to have it repaired or sell it or both and …as a result, cannot or will not recommend it?

Have received the UX and have been mostly happy with it but have experienced or noticed some issues which may or may not be considered by some as minor or inconsequential and to you not a major issue but something that might be addressed when servicing comes around and, after thought, generally recommend with some reservations

Thanks for participating.

cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
may I write:
had some problems (or some more) , but still like it ???!:-d

cheers oyster
It says something, since you are one of the few members who has had a catastrophic oil leak and rust on the UX case and still you wouldn't say that it has been a terrible ownership experience. I wouldn't want to think what it would take for you to say it was a terrible ownership experience. :-d

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've loved mine...very accurate, a tad thinner than the U1/U2, and I like the look of the face, especially w/ the oil in it.
the fact that it is a quartz does not bother me in the least, it's an accurate and durable timepiece.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well I'm a full week into ownership now, and I guess I should post a folllow up to my first post 'I got a Sinn!'.

1) I have looked very carefully for the second hand 'bounce' and I don't see it. I have used magnificiation and HD video on slow play back, and as far as I can tell it's not there. The second hands moves steady and clicks on cleanly. Conclusion : a) I got a lucky watch b) Sinn fixed it (my serial number ends 771 so maybe that's it, or c) my eyesight is failing.

2) The hands and indices do appear a little darker compared with some of my other watches, not much, but noticeable. The closest I can describe it is as thought the hands and indices are the palest shade of grey. I quite like this but I can see how others may not. I do not see any murkiness or discolororation at all.

3) The lume is (just) barely adequate - I really do not care about this at all, but again I can see how others may find this a real problem.

My overall feeling has not changed - I think it is a super watch for the money. Of all the posts I read on this watch the one that troubled me most was by (I think) Tragic who said something like 'I'm not hating it, just not loving it as much as I'd hoped'. This has happened to me so often in the past and it is the worst of all worlds. If you hate it - easy you get rid of it asap. If you love it you keep it (at least until the wanderlust sets in). It's when you like somethings and not others that you really are in trouble.

At thsi moment, one week on - I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I sjould have added to the above post:

4) Smudging - it is quite extraordinary and I have never seen anything like it. I have owned (and still do) watches with double sided AR crystals and they never smudged as easily and stubbornly as the UX.

Again, for me, it's not huge, but once again I can see how many people would not like this at all.

Maybe I'm a bit too laid back for my own good, but overall I'm a lot happier with it than not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am less disturbed by the hand bounce now than I was when I first got the watch.

What I don't understand is why the bounce changes when you turn the watch upside down.

The lume seems weaker than I would like. The best lume I've seen has been on a Ball - I was spoiled after that.

S/F
Vern

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I am less disturbed by the hand bounce now than I was when I first got the watch.

What I don't understand is why the bounce changes when you turn the watch upside down.

The lume seems weaker than I would like. The best lume I've seen has been on a Ball - I was spoiled after that.

S/F
Vern
It always amazes me how thoroughly we poor obsessed "WIS" check out our watches.
I never thought to look at mine upside down?
The "bounce" doesn't bother me as much as previously.
Lume on my U1 wasn't all that great and the UX is less.

·
Registered
503 Posts

S/F
Vern
Hi Vern

Nice to meet you! I have a Ball too, and the lumes consistently decent. However, for a great (read: BRIGHT) lume, you can't beat a Seiko Monster (SKX779, 781 etc.). They can be charged in the blink of an eye and lasts pretty long too (not 25 years, but not too bad).

daniel
P.S. I have a Black Monster, and it runs +/- 3 sec in 3 months, out of the box. Pure luck!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Vern

Nice to meet you! I have a Ball too, and the lumes consistently decent. However, for a great (read: BRIGHT) lume, you can't beat a Seiko Monster (SKX779, 781 etc.). They can be charged in the blink of an eye and lasts pretty long too (not 25 years, but not too bad).

daniel
P.S. I have a Black Monster, and it runs +/- 3 sec in 3 months, out of the box. Pure luck!
I concur with the black monster. My monster lume is unreal, I think pretty much unequalled in anything I've seen or heard of. Very legible after 8 hours. Out of the box, runs +6 sec/day and hasn't wavered from that in about 2 years. Probably the best value for dollar deal in watchdom. The ss bracelet alone is worth the price. Talk about a tool watch that you can wear anywhere and never worry about what you do to it. You can replace it with a brand new one for less than the price of a Sinn service.

but...>

Something about that U boat steel though. As much as I love my black monster and would never get rid of it, every time I switch it for one of my U's, the feelings is always the same...."whoooooaa!! Very substantial and intimidating...now that's a serious piece of gear"

But, if your a lume junkie, I don't think you can beat a monster.

cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had my UX for a week or so now and first impressions are very positive. A concern I had before the watch arrived was that the strap would be uncomfortable (I've never worn rubber before) and the clasp would prove to be too large. I was wrong on both counts, the strap/clasp combo is extremely comfortable and while the clasp is large by any standard, due to the overall design of the watch it doesn't overwhelm even my small wrist(just under 7"). Any watch with external AR is a smudge magnet and the UX is no exception but this doesn't bother me. What WILL bother me is if the AR scratches and flakes like that on my 656. I cured that problem ( see HERE to find out what I did) but I hope I don't need to repeat with the UX as those tiny bezel screws look like a pain to get back in. I love the way the dial can be viewed from any angle. Perhaps some pics and notes on performance will follow when I've had the watch longer and used it on the hills and out on my MTB.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love my UX, very good watch, had never had problems with it......and if probems should appear, they will be fixed :-! but they will not make the Ux a bad watch

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just a bump up for the new UX owners. :)

Hello Tim
Howdy from Germany, good to "see" you again!
How is life in Canada? Cold? I bet tooooo cold for me!
So how is your UX and U2, are you still in love? I bet you are.
My UX had to go, after too many problems, my neighbour´s UX is still rusty, he had new straps, but did not help. And a friend of mine,I got one for him too (you know, I am good at that). His UX stopped running:rodekaart

So I have just a 142 and a 356 still and got some more new watches from the guys in Geneva. They sell watches without problems:-d

So take care my friend
Cheers Marcus

here is my latest "Baby" sometimes carried by Kermit

Attachments

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marcus, always good to hear from you my friend. Here's hoping you had a marvelous summer and that fall's been pleasant to you so far. No need to inquire about your photographic endeavors as I am so certain that with your talents, nothing but good things have been happening for you.

Your thoughts about my two U series watches are right on the money. Still loving them and using them. My experiences with both are pretty well documented here and I expect things to continue in the same direction.

The cab company is looking good. I have lots of drivers and the cars are in excellent shape. Business is picking up after the summer slow down, which really wasn't so bad this year. Starting to get busy and the big sheets are starting to roll in. I'm going to be out driving this winter as I want to grab as much of the big money months as possible. It's pretty crazy out there though as Timmins is a really rough mining and logging city and there's lots of money and booze and drugs and bars and fights and brawls. We had one not to long ago where a bunch of thugs attacked one of our cabs and we all came to his defense after he radioed for help. It was one helluva fight. The cops even stayed away. The hospital was full of bloody guys. I broke two fingers and have a cracked cheek bone but I gave more than I got. God I love this town. :-d

We are having an incredibly warm period now with night time highs around 20c which is really unheard of. Back to normal next week. We've already had a few flurries in the air and a couple of frosts. Next month we should have some snow on the ground.

Hope things are fine for you and it's great to hear from you again. Don't be a stranger here Marcus, and I will try to do the same.

All the best to you,
Tim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Am having the discoloration problem on hands and indices turing grey, and was wondering if anyone has sent back to Sinn to correct this problem, and what the outcome was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts