WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I ordered this off A........com from the Sinobi official store, I added the order comment that I wanted the watch as pictured in the listing, with wide sharp edged lugs. It was €13.x , after a clever coupon I paid under €12. Now that it's not on sale, it's €18.x.

bottled.JPG
underwater.JPG
Wouldn't YOU want that watch for this money? The listing says it's MSRP €35.x and it sure looks worth it.
The other images in the listing are computer renders that look less impressive. Should a buyer expect to receive the photographed item, or the computer rendering?
Here's what I received, pictured still wrapped in the usual Chinese transparent film.
wijnfles 9721.jpg
And a direct comparison:
direct comparison.jpg

In my opinion, this is a terrible business practice. It's what people fear from China, and some sellers (in this case the brand holder themselves) fully live up to it.
The photograph watches built to a quality at least in the high double digits when really they are shipping a low double digit item. And the case apart from being oversize (43mm bezel, 22mm lug width) in terms of quality and finish cannot be told apart from the ones on €3-5 faux-divers I have the questionable honor of owning.

This deceitful selling should end, even €13-18 watch buyers surely deserve to get honest listing pictures.
I've demanded a full refund and kind of expect the sales platform to grant it to me. The seller has before proven they just don't car. My Sinobi 9758 watch of this same form factor (with chrono) was listed as having a double security clasp and a clasp mechanism that seemed to imply a kind of wetsuit extension style adjustment. Sent was the simplest clasp any such watch ever comes with. I asked a large refund on that one and got it. A €0,79 clasp as pictured (no extension that was just a fable) is on it way to make that watch a bit more dignified.

So there you have it. If you order this watch, you will not get what is pictured. But you might well get it for free if you expected the nice watch in the top picture. The A........ sales platform is the safest in terms of money back that I'm aware of. QC often is a problem, but apart from the disappointment, you'll not have a monetary loss.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
Seller didn't offer a single word of comment, A........com granted me a full refund.
The photos with the high quality watches are still up, though. Sometimes sellers update a listing when it causes them to give away product for free. Sometimes not.

I suppose if I tried again to order a watch and explicitly stated I needed the quality as shown in specific photos, I'd get it for free again. Hopefully someone else will give it a go. It's a €18 gamble now. What you get is a very Tevise-like watch, near identical form factor but a with 22mm lug width and a few grams extra overall.

I ordered a lovely 3-color NATO to match this watch but exactly this one was sent incorrectly. So now have a baby blue and white NATO that doubt will suit many watch styles. I have too many watches but even the white dial ones don't suit it. The refund was almost instant on that one, though.
3 color nato for green Sinobi.JPG
Silver lining: free watch I don't need to be careful with. And maybe if this happens to enough sellers who misrepresent their products, it will not be as much of a risk to others after me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Affordable shaming, on here, really?
Seems you're beside the point just because.

The question is, exactly how much junk for the money?
One of my even much more affordable pieces has been keeping time 0.0 s/day. Uncanny. And not even all that unsightly.
In a perfect world the average price in my collection would be x100 or x1000. But I doubt I'd get more satisfaction from it.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Besides the lugs and overall finishing, the bezel coin edge looks very different IRL vs advertisement.

I have the Coke Sinobi 1132 (Oris homage), and I'm not impressed with the quality. Since I ordered a 10 ATM WR watch, and received a 3 ATM model, mine was free as well (Amazon). For $20 you do get a stainless steel case and solid link, integrated bracelet, but the edges are sharp. Basically, for $20, you get $20 worth of watch, but don't expect a super, duper bargain.

61a4KV62lhL._UX342_.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Besides the lugs and overall finishing, the bezel coin edge looks very different IRL vs advertisement.

I have the Coke Sinobi 1132 (Oris homage), and I'm not impressed with the quality. Since I ordered a 10 ATM WR watch, and received a 3 ATM model, mine was free as well (Amazon). For $20 you do get a stainless steel case and solid link, integrated bracelet, but the edges are sharp. Basically, for $20, you get $20 worth of watch, but don't expect a super, duper bargain.

View attachment 14120209
A 10 ATM claim, good find!
If I can get the red/black one that way, I might risk it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts