WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies, I really meant this to arrive to the Reviews subforum.

I wouldn't even know which original this one resembles most, please enlighten me? It may be a bit of a mix, Sinobi seem to pride themselves in taking some design risks from a solid homage base.

20190114_213445.jpg

Right now it sells for €20 but somehow a week and a half ago it was €16 with a standard €0,89 discount to be had and another A.......com coupon applying aswell, bringing this one down to €13,52 which I could not refuse.

Sinobi is one of the brands that came up in my recent quest for an affordable diver with 22mm lug width. This particular model also confirms to that.

Quick measurements and remarks comparing it mostly to my (DOA) Tevise:
Bezel is 43.6mm (looks identical to Tevise T801a's apart from the missing pin at 60/0). 60 clicks, vague resting position.
Case 12.4mm making it look somewhat flimsy compared to the Tevise.
Guards substantial.
Crown unsigned is a minus.
Buttons are nice enough.
130 grams unsized, 121 grams sized for me. Down 8 grams from Tevise which is automatic and only a 20mm lug width.
Bracelet two-tone finish with solid links, a welcome surprise at this price point. Tapering from 22 to
End Links seem to be hollow but fit really nicely. Contrary to the Tevise, end links don't protrude from the lugs with its center, making the Sinobi 4mm shorter at 52mm tip to tip for a not too bulky presence.
fliplock.JPG
20190115_001634.jpg
Clasp pictured in the listing was something fancy and signed, I got a more basic one with just 2 micro adjustments, a let down even for a €13-20 watch. Have messaged Sinobi what's up, especially as I have another watch on order from then also supposed to come with a nice clasp.
The Dial featuring those sub dials at least prevents the designer from adding nonsensical words to appease ignorant showoffs.
Sub-dials
for seconds, minutes and 24h.
Date squeezed in between 4 and 5 without cyclops which makes it all but redundant.
Water resistance Seriously, at this price I should be lucky it dodn't come topped off with water. 3 bar supposedly and I am not going to even drop in it glass to verify.

One reason I was shopping for a 22mm lug width was to try out the look with a "Bond" NATO. I have a 22mm on hand, yet to put on it. And a 24mm on order just for the heck of it, should work decently unmodified.

I'll await answer from the seller about the installed clasp, usually the sales platform is excellent at making sure I am either happy or refunded. I hope the seller will act swifty and send me the correct clasp. If only for the 3rd micro position, without it's always going to be just off for me.

Assuming others do get the correct clasp I think this watch is a good deal even at €20. The quartz version of the Tevise, T801, is rarely under €17 anymore, new sister brand NOBJN N801 around €13. Having paid €13,51 , that's just about as low as you're going to find ANY chronographs, to my knowledge. To get solid links, decent bezel and buttons, makes it a bettter deal than most.

Some stock pictures:
9758lume.JPG
9758.JPG
9758 functions.JPG

Most people don't seem to like the wide lug Submariners of late. I held a re...ca once and it surprised me how beefy it was for a 40mm bezel just like my humble homage which just seemed tiny as a whole in comparison.
These oversized 43mm bezel ones are as big as I will have them I think. But as always, there may be exceptions. The Sinobi I am now waiting for seems to be an Oris Aquis homage that barely has lugs to mention and the bezel is supposed to be 44mm on that one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The seller has since changed the listing, the print with the clasp picture "flip lock" to now "bracelet clasp". Because that will be so much clearer to the receipient of a bland clasp when the pictures show fancy ones :)

I have now put the piece on a 22mm NATO awaiting the 24mm I ordered. These can be had for €1,06 shipped.

There will be many nicer examples bringing this strap design, but I do think it works.

20190115_135734.jpg

20190115_135734.jpg

Bonus: on a 22mm "faux" Bond style NATO of similar make although thinner nylon.

20190115_152619.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for the review. Looks sharp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update: Sinobi expressed that since they wrote "bracelet clasp" they were correct in sending me a different one than on the pictures. I really gave them a chance to at least send me a €0,78 safety lock clasp, but they happily let me file a dispute. I asked and got €10 back, no thanks to the seller of course. Suely I could have asked for a full refund and would have gotten it. The sales platform did the right thing, customer is king. Sellers still need to get on board with Business-To-Consumer customer service levels.

Pretty pictures and then sending something different if €0,10 can be saved somewhere, seems A-OK to them. Perhaps if enough of use hold them to higher standards, they will eventually also get business from those who don't want to deal with these terrible business ethics.

Takeaway: the platform prevents you having a bad experience AND lose your money. and I think that's a good thing. Sending the correct items should be easy, especially for a manufacturer such as Sinobi. The product IMO is worth €20 and more but no product deserves to be misrepresented.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Afraid to damage My Precious, I made the classic newbie error and left the bezel plastic film on for the above pictures.
It looks better now, I promise! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Such a 22mm silicone strap can be had for €0,50-0,60 shipped.
And is the strap making the watch look good or the other way around?

I like how it fits a 22mm lug width but really looks like a 24mm due to the stepped design. Like a cut to size leather strap.
Looks that little bit more meaty, doesn't it?

20190120_212936.jpg
20190121_014344.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now on a 24mm NATO I procured for €1,06 shipped.
Still available around that price. It's 1.48mm thick, item 32960225878.

20190123_164125.jpg
20190123_164102.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's now on this one. €1,00 shipped on sale.
Would have been perfect if the stripes were closer in color to steel/plated bit, but I suppose all that takes is our favorite thing. Time.
20190208_004520.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts