·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·

·
Registered
626 Posts

Here's the link. I know quite a few people have had issues with quality on their leather straps ie cheap thin leather but I've had great luck with their NATOs. I've used them on several of my watches and not had any issues.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As my time with Wallace is coming to an end, I want to do a more in depth review/summary of thoughts of my experience. I also wanted to give him a proper send off with some high definition photos. I want to say that I was definitely looking for my turn with him because I wanted to compare the three hand Waterbury to my Waterbury Chronograph which I really love. Upon arrival I put Wallace on his more formal black leather strap to start out the month.

To be honest, I was underwhelmed at first impression, and to be fair I don't have a good reason of why that is. The watch just didn't click at first, but a strap change can totally change perception. I decided to move him onto a selection of 20mm straps until I found one that hit the mark.

This combination really helped him enjoy the wear much more. That extra amount of color brought focus to the color of the hands and the cream is an almost perfect much for the aged numerals.

The Waterbury line is considered to be one of the upscaled Timex watches and I think it does deliver on that. Its noticeably quieter then the standard or the easy reader line. It has high polished sides and more of a brushed finish on the lugs. My only complaint is the thickness of the case, especially on the three hand models. It gives a slab side look on the wrong strap unfortunately.

I know I have some questions of how the base Waterbury compares to the Chronograph variants so I'm sure other Timex fans probably do as well. To help here are some side by side shots.

The case appear to be basically the same, excluding the pushers of course, so finishing is on the same level as end other. You do get applied indices and polished hands with the chrono but almost no lume. The three hander as big lumed hands and the aged field watch look of the numerals. The Indoglow is much stronger on the three hander. Its a strong green versus the cool blue of the chrono which really showcases the subdials. So honestly it will come down to style preference. Or better yet in true Timex form get both haha.

In the end, the Waterbury is a rather nice bang for your money. I routinely get compliments on its quality from people, especially before they know that its actually a Timex. It really shows what the brand can do.

Soon Wallace will be off to his next adventure!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sir Wallace has landed in Michigan!

Will confess right off the bat that I haven't kept up with this thread, will be catching up this weekend.

Have recently become semi-retired, still deciding if I'm going pro. This has given me the opportunity to volunteer at the West Michigan Vaccine Clinic. Here's a shot of my masked mug in front of our number yesterday.

Have been mixing it up more lately for daily WRYW pics to record the progress. Will definitely be adding Wallace to the mix.

So, anyway, the package landed last night and tried it on wearing the khaki strap it arrived on. For my tastes, it's a bit of a chunk and sitting on top of the extra band material didn't help. I'll keep trying nylon bands but don't think they'll ever really take for me.

Thanks to the amazing folks that came before, there is a black leather Timex strap included along with springbar tool making the swap a snap.

The new crystal gives amazing legibility at steep angles, it's awesome!

My wrist is kind of round so even at 7 1/4" you can see how the lugs at 12 tend to float. Still, pretty comfortable.

Overall, it's quite impressive. Great looking thing, quiet, and the second hand hits the marks a good percentage of the time.

Going to enjoy my time with Sir Wallace!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks Miggyd87! I'm still getting sorted with the idea.

Things came to a head with my work partner and we decided to split ways. I'm a salesman so can pretty much find employment without too much hassle and frankly, I kind of miss the car business (I'm sick in the head).

My wife was really enjoying the extra support she got working from home with me around and we decided to take the next year for me to focus on some home improvements before deciding on hanging up my guns permanently.

Funny thing, I've always assumed I'd work til dead and she thinks warmly about retirement. She's just realizing the earning potential of her (expensive) JD while my skillset of in-person deal making becomes more irrelevant.

Anyway, thanks for asking!

As for the topic at hand, I find Sir Wallace a tad large to sit comfortably on my wrist for all day wear, will make a point of bringing him to the clinic next week.

Pearl was very interested in Sir Wallace and his packaging when he arrived.

I'm guessing he's visited another household with dogs.

Here's a shot from earlier today as I'm about to try some dress up with a few bracelets I have on hand.

Having been exposed to these great Timex recently led me to jump on a deal for a 36mm Waterbury for $25 at Ashford. Check out the deals thread for more info, a few great models available.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Broke into my box of watch goodies to see if I had any 20mm steel that would work.

First up, the mesh that came on a Tangramatic 39a

It gets close to the fit I'm looking for but...

The keeper doesn't really keep the tail in check and it's a bit rough around the edges.

Luckily, my search for the ultimate bracelet for the Tangramatic found me buying a decent knock off engineer...

oh yes!!!

This is a game changer for this watch.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Visited with old friends of my wife this weekend in Dearborn and having recently found out he's a watch guy (Omega primarily, though he's got Bullova's Lunar Pilot on bracelet that fits like a glove!) so I brought the 5 watch roll and Wallace along. Didn't get pics, unfortunately.

Today, Wallace kept time for my grocery run.

Here's a full sun shot taken in the car.

Having been exposed to great Timex watches lately made me susceptible to saying yes to a bargain.

36mm Waterbury from Ashford for $25 (less right now!!!)

Continuing my run of buying women's watches, I'll likely swap the strap for an 18mm Shinola lying around here somewhere. Great strap though, very comfortable as all the Timex straps I've tried lately have been.

Love how the case sits right on the flat part of my wrist. It's very quiet and the case feels of quality. The second hand hits the mark about 50% of the time and the finish on the hands would have let me down at the $129 retail, not so much on "just a Timex".

Wallace's glass has me thinking about looking for a similar solution here.

Another peek at the extreme angle viewing and how the case sits on my wrist:

And here's a group shot with my old Easy Reader from my days before disposable income.

And one more showing the case size difference.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I "measured" the length of the minute hands in the above shot and they appear to be the same.
Pretty amazing that a 36mm watch has the same functional real estate as a 42mm.

Looking at the lug length, Sir Wallace is way bigger - but just looking at the watch face they appear surprisingly similar in size.

The 36mm would look great with a mild single-domed crystal.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Thanks!

Just looking at them I have to wonder if the dial size is the same, don't think so but it's close. The 40mm case really is a chunk.

Here are the other views I took while comparing them:

View attachment 15822985

Good example of distortion and lack of.

View attachment 15822987

View attachment 15822990

And here's the 36 on black leather in poor lighting:

View attachment 15822992
I like the “distortion and lack of” photo. So many members here like the distortion — a form of nostalgia, I guess — but I prefer to be able to read a watch from whatever angle.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts

Sir Wallace arrived in the Smoky Mountains of east Tennessee from Michigan a few days ago. After unboxing the first thing I did was to replace the bracelet that it came on to a leather strap. Bracelets just are not my thing. Black leather is not my thing either, but because it was in the box, it deserved a try. I must say that this strap with the black dial did make for a pleasing combo. More to come.
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts

The next day it was off to the post office to check my post office box and then to the Ace Hardware to buy a new furnace filter after a strap change from black leather to brown leather (including a signed Timex buckle). Notice I don't take "wrist" shots. Sir Wallace made the trip with no problems other than no one noticed it or commented on it. More to come.
Joe

141 - 160 of 189 Posts