WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Seiko 5 is just as disposable, yet it costs less, they use far better materials, it can be serviced if you feel like it (with Sistem51 you don't really have any choice) and they in general perform very well. Some argue about the serious looks and how "younger" people wouldn't wear them. But seeing how cheap Sistem51 models look like, i'd rather buy a G-Shock to my kid...
Every watch is disposable. We buy them with our disposable income, for crying out loud, or at least most of us do. LOL

All the best.

Reactions: adi4

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Quite a lot of prejudice towards plastic polymers and material science going on here.. In regards to the plastic escapement. You don't think Swatch have done R&D on the plastic used? Done test runs of probably literally a billion impacts to simulate half a decade of use?
A plastic escapement may get away with no lubrication, something a metal/gem combination might not. Besides, what's the point of making one component last 4x longer than any other when they all need to work together anyway?

My gripe with the Sistem51 is not the construction but rather the price.. For roughly the same money I can get (and did!) a Seiko SKX that will last me a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It was even stranger before he edited it and it was a COMPLETELY different post.

This seems particularly appropriate
Oh man - now you for new curious! What was there before? This has to be the most random thread resurrection I've ever seen around here!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Oh man - now you for new curious! What was there before? This has to be the most random thread resurrection I've ever seen around here!
I don't remember exactly but it was some disjointed arrangement of words which included plastic and crap (or a crap antonym). Nothing "exciting" about the edit just that the edited post had no relationship to the previous post other than both being "anti" Sistem 51.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
I don't remember exactly but it was some disjointed arrangement of words which included plastic and crap (or a crap antonym). Nothing "exciting" about the edit just that the edited post had no relationship to the previous post other than both being "anti" Sistem 51.
I think it was something about the Sistem51 being the worst plastic watch one could buy.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think it was something about the Sistem51 being the worst plastic watch one could buy.
That sounds about right, I read it and immediately moved it to the mental trash file then when I tried to restore it most of the bytes had been overwritten in the meantime.

Reactions: pjviitas

·
Registered
780 Posts
Concerning non-metallic components, Omega and Tissot have been using non-metallic components for sometime. Hamilton among others are also starting the trend.

Non-metallic escapements and hairsprings...a way for the marketeers to segregate full metal watches from non-full metal watches all in the name of making money? Only time will tell.

341 - 353 of 353 Posts