WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember Jorg's post from January which told us that they would not get any new COSC movements to put in Stowa watches. I didn't keep track of the exact timing, but it seems that sometime within the last two months they did run out of stock and it finally became reality on the Stowa website. You can no longer find the COSC movement as an accessory to be added to your watch order.

I am very surprised there is not more discussion about this on the forum (or at least I missed it and cannot find it with a search on "COSC"). This seems like quite nasty and anticompetitive behavior from Swatch to do this to boutique watch producers like Stowa. Can you imagine the backlash if something like this happened in a different industry? Say that Intel would no longer sell their best microprocessors to companies who aren't assembling computers in the USA? There would be a huge international outcry against the USA and all companies involved in such an anticompetitive conspiracy. I guess Swatch gets away with this because watches are only luxury items.

Of course I know that nobody from Stowa can ever give any opinion or anything besides factual comments that state what is or isn't available. They must remain in good standing with Swatch. But I am curious if there are others here who see the problem for what it is. I think it is terrible.

Back to the watches themselves: so now is it no longer possible to get a 2824 with the glucydur balance and incabloc shock protection in a Stowa watch? Or can one still get a Top grade movement but only without the COSC adjustment and certification? It wasn't clear on the website when I checked just now. To me it looks like one can get the Elabore grade only but perhaps I've missed something.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
You can still get the top grade, just without the COSC certification. It is available under accessories for 160 Euro with VAT.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
COSC is nolonger available, the top grade movement is still available,but when they(200) runout there be no more! The German watch makers are working on their own version of COSC,hopefully Stowa will offer their watches with this certification.

Ren

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top grade is not showing up in the accessory page for the MA or the fliegers. I now found it under "customers also bought" for the MA, but not for the flieger. In any case, it is very limited at just 200 pcs.

This bad news makes me especially pleased that I bought the COSC Baumuster B in January.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Another last minute purchaser here. Stowa announced the COSC certified movements were gone just about a week or two after my order of Flieger no date/logo. I got in touch with them and was told I indeed secured one of the last ones. I since bought 33 LE B-Dial and thought about canceling the order, but instead I "moved" the movement to an MA and they accommodated all changes requested. I can't be happier with their CS.

I hope some of you lucky buyers can score the COSC grade (minus the certificate), decorated movements at "discount" price before they too are gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just yesterday ordered a Flieger with the COSC spec movement so there are some still left. Certification is not something that really bothers me, especially as the certification does not include the actual watch in the tests. I will always try to buy the best quality I can afford tho and the COSC movement seemed like a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What you mean to say is that the Top grade movement is a very good deal! The COSC is no longer offered! Yes the top grade movement imho is the only way to go,lets hope that Stowa finds a solution to this problem as Top grade movements are important to me! They had only 200 hundred of these movements so supplies have got to be low, if you want one now would be the time to order!

Ren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts