WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I'm very interested in purchasing the above watch, however I'm torn between the different colour dial& strap options. Could some owners please give me their opinions on which combo/ Colour works best and looks better in the flesh!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you're considering the bracelet, you might as well pick up the watch on bracelet as it is much more expensive to get after purchase. Alternative fabric straps or leather can be easily found for cheaper than a matching metal bracelet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Topper limited edition looks great! It comes with the rivet bracelet and a strap. I would check it out!

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I wanted the 40mm with date (nice, balanced dial) and Went for the least expensive 65 available, under $1k. It came on the textile strap and I put it on my favorite leather:

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
My favorite is the black dial 40mm on rubber tropic strap. From that point I have expanded the look with a vintage style beads-of-rice bracelet as well as an OEM black Nato with deployant clasp.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really like the black dial 40mm diver 65 on the black rubber tropic (only seen pictures/videos), but if I buy, I'm struggling with the decision of the "regular" version or the Topper limited edition.

I think every change made on the Topper version is better. But the regular version can be had for significantly less money.

I've read in some reviews that the 65 feels like a cheaper watch? Mainly bezel action, fit & finish. Anyone care to confirm/deny based on their experience? I realize this is pretty subjective, but I value the thoughts and opinions of the WUS community.
:)

I guess the meat and potatoes of my struggle:
If I bought the Topper version, would I always b
e aware of the fact that it feels like a $1,200 watch, but I paid $2,200 for it?!? Or would I smile because I have 1 (of 100) of the best version of this watch (IMO)? Surely this version will hold its resale value better too, and while I don't treat watches as investment pieces, it would be reassuring to know that I could get most or all of my money back down the road if I were to sell it. I suppose it's a similar situation to the Longines Legend no date.

Sigh...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have handled a lot of different 65s from Oris. The bezel has never been an issue. Nor has the finishing and look of case or bracelet. The dial on the 42mm is stunning with its raised markers and blue/black color.

The "NATO" style strap they use seems like it will last less than a year with the buckle for it. It's an interesting combo doing a folding clasp on that material. I also feel the crown has quite a bit of play when unscrewed. It bothers me a lot. They couldn't use a shorter stem since the model has a screw down crown. So my advice is be extra gentle once you've unscrewed it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I really like the black dial 40mm diver 65 on the black rubber tropic (only seen pictures/videos), but if I buy, I'm struggling with the decision of the "regular" version or the Topper limited edition.

I think every change made on the Topper version is better. But the regular version can be had for significantly less money.

I've read in some reviews that the 65 feels like a cheaper watch? Mainly bezel action, fit & finish. Anyone care to confirm/deny based on their experience? I realize this is pretty subjective, but I value the thoughts and opinions of the WUS community.
:)

I guess the meat and potatoes of my struggle:
If I bought the Topper version, would I always b
e aware of the fact that it feels like a $1,200 watch, but I paid $2,200 for it?!? Or would I smile because I have 1 (of 100) of the best version of this watch (IMO)? Surely this version will hold its resale value better too, and while I don't treat watches as investment pieces, it would be reassuring to know that I could get most or all of my money back down the road if I were to sell it. I suppose it's a similar situation to the Longines Legend no date.

Sigh...
I own a black dial 65 on the OEM khaki strap. Since I don't like rubber straps, I like this combo best for the black dial because the strap adds some contrast. I would like to get the bracelet at some point and have been wearing it mostly on a shark mesh bracelet.

There's nothing "cheap" feeling about it. Fit and finish are excellent and both bezel action and crown on mine are solid.

Personally, I couldn't justify the price delta for the Topper version even though I like all the revisions made on the Topper LE. At arm's length, it would be difficult to distinguish between the LE and standard versions because Oris did a great job of integrating the date window into the standard dial to make it unobtrusive. Value is in the eye of the beholder (and determined by the market,) so I wouldn't automatically assume that the LE will hold better value or enable recovery of a higher percentage of the purchase price.

·
Registered
581 Posts
How it came out of the Oris factory is best, it is not meant to be an expensive watch. I certainly do not see the Topper as an investment of any kind, it is ridiculously overpriced you will lose a grand straight away. There is nothing to stop them producing more of the same version. The old saying you pays your money and takes your choice applies here as always.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That's the watch I wanted to see today :(. But I like the 42mm also, wasn't as big wearing as I thought. The 40mm just look sportier and retroish .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Robert August Surftech board. 9' longboard for old kooks like me. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
That's a great looking board and fin. I live in Tamarindo Costa Rica, and Robert August still has a shaping room here... I love the look of most of his boards, but that wood has me drooling.

And the watch looks pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts