WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everything is perspective, and perspective is everything! I've been wearing Casios, mostly G-Shocks, for the past 3 months and gotten used to some large watches - including the ginormous analog Frogman.

Today, I got my 20 year old Breitling Colt Ocean back from being fixed. It has been broken for years and sitting in the safe. I put it on, and it felt TINY! But, it sure is nice! They completely restored it, and they did a very nice job.

Here it is nestled among the Casios with it's biggest brother, the Frogman, to the left. The Breitling is the smallest watch in the group!

Colt Ocean Automatic back from the dead! Polished up nicely, too!

Registered
So awesome to see it restored and back in action, it looks great! (y)馃嵒 On a side note, Ana-Froggy is such a beast! The Breitling would completely disappear under it haha.

Reactions: Dxnnis and Racer88

Registered
I think most g-shock guys know this. Same is true of weight, to some extent.

At one time I've worn dive watches in the 300-400 gram range, and so I laugh to myself every time when I hear someone claim that a g-shock is too heavy at 120 -160 grams. 馃槀 馃槀

Nice Breitling, btw!

Registered
you should do an article about watch sizes and g-shocks. Most newcomers (like me) read and watch regular articles on watches, and 38-42 seems to be the only acceptable sizes, 38 for a 6" wrist, 42 for a 8" wrist. g-shocks would never qualify in a million years.

Not even sure if the larger g-shocks are universally acceptable on all wrist sizes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you should do an article about watch sizes and g-shocks. Most newcomers (like me) read and watch regular articles on watches, and 38-42 seems to be the only acceptable sizes, 38 for a 6" wrist, 42 for a 8" wrist. g-shocks would never qualify in a million years.

Not even sure if the larger g-shocks are universally acceptable on all wrist sizes.
Possibly an interesting topic for an article! Yeah... wearing a G-Shock breaks all the "size rules," eh?

I initially rejected the Rangeman based on the big size. Heck, when I got the "midsized" G-Steel S300, I thought THAT was big! But, you DO get used to the size. I got used to the Rangeman. I even got used to the Ana-Frog on my 7-inch wrist. It is quite comfortable!

So, really the only "discomfort" of larger watches is the "social discomfort" of worrying about "what others think." An advantage of getting older is caring less about what others think. 馃槑

Registered
Nice collection you got there. That Breitling's a beaut!

Premium Member
A very nice soon-to-be vintage Breitling. And thanks for putting its size in perspective by comparing it to your G-Shock/Casio watches. Enjoy your newly restored Breitling.(y)

Registered
Interesting how relative size changes your perceptions. I recently got a Sumo. On paper an enormous watch by any standard. But oddly it seems to look no larger than my prior dive watch. Probably because the crystal is the same diameter, and the lugs wrap around and look like they鈥檙e part of the bracelet.

Registered

"only acceptable sizes" and "never qualify"? That's the thing. There are no "hard and fast" rules, except by watch snobs who would generally turn their noses up before even looking at a g-shock.

The game is this. Wear what YOU like, what you think looks good on you, what you enjoy, and eff those who say "you can't wear that!" Who are they to tell anyone what they can and cannot wear? :unsure:

G-shocks are all about fun. People who don't or can't understand that at some level probably lead very miserable lives.

Registered
That's the beauty of Casio. They make something for people of all shapes, sizes, tastes and bank accounts.

Registered

acceptable? who cares.
wearable? definitely (for the most part)

At one time I've worn dive watches in the 300-400 gram range, and so I laugh to myself every time when I hear someone claim that a g-shock is too heavy at 120 -160 grams. 馃槀 馃槀

Nice Breitling, btw!
this all day lol
a week is all you need to know that numbers on paper means nothing when it comes to Gs and big is beautiful 馃槃

Premium Member

Nice Breitling, btw!
Exactly. I own a Breitling Avenger Seawolf that is just a beast of a watch and clocks in way over 200 grams along with a Marathon. I always laugh a bit to myself when I read those complaints. Hahahaha
"only acceptable sizes" and "never qualify"? That's the thing. There are no "hard and fast" rules, except by watch snobs who would generally turn their noses up before even looking at a g-shock.

The game is this. Wear what YOU like, what you think looks good on you, what you enjoy, and eff those who say "you can't wear that!" Who are they to tell anyone what they can and cannot wear? :unsure:

G-shocks are all about fun. People who don't or can't understand that at some level probably lead very miserable lives.
Nailed it. Words to live by.

Registered
Nice Breitling and Casios! Glad you could get a piece with some personal history working again.

Regarding the size, I think a lot of it has to due with G-Shocks being matte rubbery black, with the usual digital display decently surrounded by a large bezel. With the same dimensions in all steel with a large analog dial, it would feel a lot bigger and louder. I was noticing this with a lot of Garmin or other sport watches I try 鈥 they might be big at 43-46mm, but not being full metal and having the toned-down digital display keeps them reasonable.

Registered
Nice Breitling and Casios! Glad you could get a piece with some personal history working again.

Regarding the size, I think a lot of it has to due with G-Shocks being matte rubbery black, with the usual digital display decently surrounded by a large bezel. With the same dimensions in all steel with a large analog dial, it would feel a lot bigger and louder. I was noticing this with a lot of Garmin or other sport watches I try 鈥 they might be big at 43-46mm, but not being full metal and having the toned-down digital display keeps them reasonable.
I totally agree with this, and would add that in addition, very large watches (relative to the wearer) in steel are ridiculously heavy, adding to the discomfort. A big G is still light and comfortable. I had a fairly large G, since claimed by my son, that I could wear and forget it was on. My Planet Ocean, on the other hand....

Registered
Alright I'll be the one to say it - I don't like big watches, for me. Big is relative tho, big wristed folks can wear big watches. I've got a scrawny wrist (a bit below 7") and they look silly on me, IMO. My largest is a Citizen Promaster diver with a 44mm case size, but the lug-to-lug is reasonable at 49.4mm and it's only 13.9mm tall including the domed crystal. My favorite watch is also my smallest, another Citizen, a titanium field watch with a 39mm case and 45mm lug-to-lug and 12mm thick including the domed crystal.

Case size doesn't matter all that much to me as far as what's too big. Lug-to-lug and thickness matter more for me. Shorter and thinner the better, and most G's are bigger than I like to wear.

All that said, those are my preferences for me, which only matters to me. I don't care if other people wear big watches, even if I think they're too big for them, it doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts