WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I gathered the following dimensions from various threads. Please correct or add any information.

Planet Ocean 42 mm (8500)

• Bezel width - 40 mm
  • Dial opening - 30.6 mm
  • Lug width - 20 mm
  • Lug to lug - 47.7 mm (50 mm with end link protrusion?)

In my estimation, PO 42 mm bezel size, dial opening, and lug-to-lug length closely approximates Rolex Submariner 16610. Disregarding the height and minute difference in case size, would it be fair to say PO 42 mm wear like the old Submariner?

Planet Ocean 39.5 mm (8800)

• Bezel width - 38.3 mm
  • Dial opening - 29.8 mm
  • Lug width - 19 mm
  • Lug to lug - 44.7 mm (45.5 mm stated)

Since PO 39.5 mm is obviously smaller, how much smaller does it wear compared to the old Submariner?

EDIT: With actual measurements by fskywalker

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I have 42mm PO. It wears high (chunky) but the case shape slopes away from the bezel (think Oris tt1) but not quite so extreme so it wears smaller. Since sub was 40mm it wears similar but with a lot more presence due to its height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
297 Posts
I have one 37.5mm which I got it with huge discount fit perfectly on my 6.5 in wrist. Its similar size with the Seiko SKX013.

The trend of the watch size is getting smaller or back to the classic size. Seiko recently introduced the SLA017 of 39mm. Steinhart just launched its 39mm Ocean Black. Blancpain , etc and many more

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
You did not list the XL size. 45.5 mm love mine, but I do have big wrists!

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
I gathered the following dimensions from various threads. Please correct or add any information.

Planet Ocean 42 mm (8500)

• Bezel width - 40 mm
  • Dial opening - 30.5 mm
  • Lug width - 20 mm
  • Lug to lug - 48 mm (50 mm with end link protrusion?)

In my estimation, PO 42 mm bezel size, dial opening, and lug-to-lug length closely approximates Rolex Submariner 16610. Disregarding the height and minute difference in case size, would it be fair to say PO 42 mm wear like the old Submariner?

Planet Ocean 39.5 mm (8800)

• Bezel width - ?? mm
  • Dial opening - ?? mm
  • Lug width - 19 mm
  • Lug to lug - 45.5 mm

Since PO 39.5 mm is obviously smaller, how much smaller does it wear compared to the old Submariner?
On 39.5mm PO:

Bezel width = 38.26 MM:

Dial opening = 29.77 MM:

Lug to lug = 44.66 MM:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you for this information! I would suggest adding thickness, as well -- as this is one of the biggest determining factor (if not THE biggest) when considering a PO.

·
Vendor
Omega/Tudor/Breitling/Grand Seiko/Tag Heuer/Montblanc/Hamilton/Seiko
1,464 Posts
@Brent L. Miller Brad, how did you measure across the cases? Did you measure from 8oclock to 2oclock position or from 9 to 3?
I don't recall specifically but I almost always measure 8-2 to avoid any interference with the crown.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't recall specifically but I almost always measure 8-2 to avoid any interference with the crown.
Cool thanks. I believe that’s the right way to measure Omegas and that’s how Omega specs the measurement as well. My caliper is arriving today so I’m curious to see if I end up with 43.3 as well… I wonder if all cases of the same model will have some variance in this respect

1 - 15 of 15 Posts