WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I read your forum since the beginning of the day. I read a lot of thread about skeleton watches, which are better, chinese, swiss, etc..

There is too much choices, I can't decide. Each time I found a beautiful watch, I search here to know if the brand is "good" (no easy to break, no cheap) and I'm lost.

I want to propose to my man. He 's not a ring man so I find that offer him a watch is a good idea. I want to find a watch that corresponds both to his taste and mine.

Him : bracelet titan, skeleton, swiss made (<- HA HA, If I have my ruby and diamonds he could have his swiss made watch :D).
I : rose gold or copper, bracelet brown leather (or faux, I prefer faux leather (I'm vegan, sorry :) )), not more ~$300 ca. (ok, love has no price but... You know :s)

I already see :

-Rotary (I don't know if the shop is reliable)
Rotary Swiss Men's Automatic Rose Gold Tone Skeleton Watch GLE000017-10

-Stuhrling
Stührling Original -2160B.331134 Tru Apocalypse Pro
OR
Stührling Original -228.3365K77 Brumalia

-Rougois
Rougois Rosarita Gold Mechanical Skeleton Watch

Yes, so... If you have reviews or things to say about these brands, go ! Also, if you have other brands in mind, I'm really open. I'm looking for a watch like I was looking for a ring. It's more important to me that she's beautiful than she has the best mechanic :)

Thank you so much for your help and I wish you a good night/day !

P.S : I'm french so... Sorry for my mistakes ! :/

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seagull make a great skeleton watch m182sk
well in your price point as well

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you're going to propose to a man you better not use a watch, unless you want him to be engaged to lots of women lol. Just a little watchuseek joke, we like lots of watches. Just don't expect him to wear it all day every day, its hard for guys to just wear one watch all the time, its easier with a ring. I would ask him what he prefers and buy that

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
EDITED: Changing my response to be more helpful

I think it is difficulty to find a quality skeleton in that price range, not saying it isn't possible. Skeleton watches are quite polarizing, meaning people typically love them or hate them. First, I would make sure that this is a style that he would go for.

Typically, people don't think of Stuhrling as a high quality brand. I don't look at Skeleton watches often, so I don't have much for recommendations.

However, I do recommend looking at Open Hearts or watches with Display Casebacks. These show off the movements, but still hold a lot of character in their dial design.

Alternative recommendation, Orient and Seiko are safe bets for quality in the $300 range. Both offer very classy watches.

Hope this was a little more helpful. Still probably not so much.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I recommend to just pick one of those you already mentioned and grow to like it (my pick is the Rougois based on looks). Because marriage at one point will have to go through that phase.

mwahaha

·
Registered
681 Posts
Does he like fashion watches or watch brands that are known more for its history as a watch manufacturer? Pre-WUS, name of the brand really matters to me, leaning towards what are well known for fashion purposes. If you give him let's say an Orient, he may or may not wear it. So, there's that. Then of course you'll want to know how big he wants it too. Skeleton watch is like an acquired taste, so I'm really hoping that you are very positive that he likes them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm really disappointed by the entitled behavior that's coming out in this thread. We are supposed to be a kind and accepting community, so really I expected better.

1. Proposals and engagements are done every day with rings made of copper or nothing at all. The idea that something of considerable value must be exchanged is incredibly old-fashioned, if not anachronistic. If love is truly the binding force, then it doesn't matter if it's a $300 skeleton watch or a $3000 Longines.

2. I'm disappointed to see people refuse to help with the request at hand, instead choosing to criticise the nature of OP's decision. Maybe the husband loves skeleton watches? Certainly our poster and his wife-to-be knows him better than any of you, so who are we to say that her choice is "gimmicky" or inferior to another watch?

I, for one, would be thrilled if a woman proposed to me with a watch that suited my tastes. It doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive it is, whether it's quartz or mechanical, skeletonized or not. I would hope, certainly, that they knew me well enough to select something I'd be enamored with, but I don't give one .... beyond that. The watch, like a ring, is only symbolic and it exists purely to represent the eternal nature of love between two hopeful couples.

Christ, get off your high horses and help. If you don't want to help, or can't resist helping without being snarky, don't post.

Lexe:

I am a man that really likes skeleton watches, and own several in your budget. I urge you to consider the Sea-Gull M182sk. It's the best skeleton watch under $1000. From there, you might consider the Tissot T-Complication Squelette, but it's quite outside of your budget. Rotary also makes several skeleton watches in your price range, and they're a legitimate vendor with a good warranty.

And while most watch snobs are going to thumb their nose at Stuhrling, I absolutely love their stuff, and appreciate it for what it is: fashionable, beautiful watches at a small price. I recently had to exercise their warranty, and it went off without a hitch.

As a watch loving man: I would be honored to receive a watch for a proposal, and even more honored to have a woman so egalitarian and modern as to consider proposal.

</whiteknight>

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I'm really disappointed by the entitled behavior that's coming out in this thread. We are supposed to be a kind and accepting community, so really I expected better.

1. Proposals and engagements are done every day with rings made of copper or nothing at all. The idea that something of considerable value must be exchanged is incredibly old-fashioned, if not anachronistic. If love is truly the binding force, then it doesn't matter if it's a $300 skeleton watch or a $3000 Longines.

2. I'm disappointed to see people refuse to help with the request at hand, instead choosing to criticise the nature of OP's decision. Maybe the husband loves skeleton watches? Certainly our poster and his wife-to-be knows him better than any of you, so who are we to say that her choice is "gimmicky" or inferior to another watch?

I, for one, would be thrilled if a woman proposed to me with a watch that suited my tastes. It doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive it is, whether it's quartz or mechanical, skeletonized or not. I would hope, certainly, that they knew me well enough to select something I'd be enamored with, but I don't give one .... beyond that. The watch, like a ring, is only symbolic and it exists purely to represent the eternal nature of love between two hopeful couples.

Christ, get off your high horses and help. If you don't want to help, or can't resist helping without being snarky, don't post.

Lexe:

I am a man that really likes skeleton watches, and own several in your budget. I urge you to consider the Sea-Gull M182sk. It's the best skeleton watch under $1000. From there, you might consider the Tissot T-Complication Squelette, but it's quite outside of your budget. Rotary also makes several skeleton watches in your price range, and they're a legitimate vendor with a good warranty.

And while most watch snobs are going to thumb their nose at Stuhrling, I absolutely love their stuff, and appreciate it for what it is: fashionable, beautiful watches at a small price. I recently had to exercise their warranty, and it went off without a hitch.

As a watch loving man: I would be honored to receive a watch for a proposal, and even more honored to have a woman so egalitarian and modern as to consider proposal.

</whiteknight>
Great response.

I changed my reply in hopes that it would be a little more helpful. Thank you for the humbling post

·
Registered
115 Posts
At that price I'll second the seagull m182sk Erks recommended.

Complete non watch aside, feel free to ignore. It would be ok if you got his opinion on the matter. I remember the stress of trying to get the perfect ring. She "loves" it, but who can say? It's not like she could have politely said "oh really princess cut how original, and white gold, the thing you like, how nice." Picking out the wedding ring or watch together and planning the proposal together can be more fulfilling then a surprise proposal. I'm sure someone will chime in with if it's from you he'll learn to love it. But why make him? Get what he wants to start with. Then he'll love it cause it's from you and cause he actually likes it. I'm sure I'm not alone in getting gifts given with the best of intentions I've never taken out of the box.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts

Lexe:

</whiteknight>
LOL

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Him : bracelet titan, skeleton, swiss made (<- HA HA, If I have my ruby and diamonds he could have his swiss made watch :D).
I : rose gold or copper, bracelet brown leather (or faux, I prefer faux leather (I'm vegan, sorry :) )), not more ~$300 ca. (ok, love has no price but... You know :s)
Hi Lexe, welcome to WUS!

The most important thing in a watch is a good quality movement. When it comes to skeleton watches up to $300, you'll find a lot of watches with Asian copies of the Swiss "Unitas" movement (also called Eta 6497 or 6498). It is a very sturdy and reliable movement, Asian clones included.

My strategy would be to search ebay specifically for offers with "Skeleton Unitas" or "Skeleton 6498" etc. You'll find watches like this one (for 180€), which I like very much personally:

unitas_skeleton.jpg

(pic from ebay)

I'm not even sure if it has a brand name. Important thing is: the movement is good and all other parts will come from the standard Chinese watch part suppliers anyway, with a fashion brand tag or without..

Good luck with your search! :eek:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really thank you all for all your answers. I didn't know there was a difference between open hearts and skeletons so.. I will check that today.

For more information, in the the "him" part, it's his taste in watch, not mine. Before to ask him, I didn't know that you can see the "heart" of a watch :D So, no stress, he'll like it, I'm pretty sure of that ! :p

Again, thank you, it's very helpful :)

And, it's not important that he wears it each day, it's more for the moment when I'm going to kneel down and after for important moments. He has had one watch in his life (23 to now) and he doesn't wear it at all because she's too heavy. It's a Sector. That's all I know.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
girl, just kick him in the groin so he kneels instead.
Would you have said something along the same lines if a guy had put up the question what watch to buy to propose to his girl who likes watches more than rings?

Seriously, I'm honestly shocked by quite a few answers in this thread. Sexism just isn't funny.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
girl, just kick him in the groin so he kneels instead.
Would you have said something along the same lines if a guy had put up the question what watch to buy to propose to his girl who likes watches more than rings?

Seriously, I'm honestly shocked by quite a few answers in this thread. Sexism just isn't funny.
i read this as a light hearted joke. Maybe it's because I know bombfish pretty well. I'm sure no ill intent was there, but sometimes inflection and intent can be lost in posts..

Reactions: thekody and Deledda

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
Hello Lexe---
Best of luck to you. The "affordable skeleton" question is asked quite often -- here are some additional threads with more recommendations.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-watch-collecting-would-like-some-recommendations-1069764-2.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/affordable-swiss-skeleton-watch-976189.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/affordable-skeleton-watch-931234.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/challenge-minimalist-skeleton-watch-752888.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/what-skeleton-watch-buy-where-buy-891466.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/reliable-automatic-skeleton-under-150-a-1064295.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/kenneth-cole-stuhrling-fossil-seagull-1033387.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/st%FChrling-auto-skeketon-1070421.html

You'll probably find that the Sea-Gull comes up quite often; from what I hear it's a really nice piece. There really isn't an honest-to-goodness Swiss Made skeleton in your price range (except for a few Swatches-- and they're a bit more casual than I think you're looking for). I know some of the websites advertise that the Rotary has a "Swiss-Made" movement, but it's not true -- it's Chinese. Note on the watch that there's no "Swiss Made" or "Swiss Mvmt" mark -- instead it just says "Est. Switzerland" (which means nothing at all-- someone bought the Rotary brand, which used to be Swiss, and uses it to make watches from all over." Here's a bit more information about that:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/rotary-movements-699042.html

A thing to consider, as some have pointed out, is size. Watches are much bigger than they were 20 years ago, whether that's good or bad. A "dress" watch used to be about 36mm (or smaller) in diameter, and a "sport" watch used to be about 40mm. These numbers have ballooned, such that there are watches sold with 60mm diameters. The problem is, unless you're a huge guy, the watch will be bigger than your wrist. Two of your suggested watches are 44mm-- on me (I have an average-ish 7" wrist) that's the border of what I feel comfortable with for nearly any watch. I had a dressy-ish Swiss watch from Steinhart with a handwind movement that was 44mm MARINE CHRONOMETER 44, Roman.. - Marine Watch - Steinhart Watches, and it was too big and too thick for me to wear to work regularly, as awesome as it was. It also had long "lugs" (the pieces of metal the band attaches to) and it was thick (14.2 mm). So if your guy is bigger, 44mm for a dressy-type skeleton watch would probably be OK. The Stuhrling Apocalypse, though, is 52mm. That thing is BIG -- 40% bigger than the 44mm. The Sea-Gull that people like to recommend is only 38mm -- the 52mm will have almost double the area of the Sea-Gull. Many guys these days think watches under 40mm are too small, as you actually see some parts of the wrist.

One other thing to consider about "gold-tone" watches -- at this price, they're not gold, and they're (almost always) not gold plated -- there's an ion film plating that's placed over some base metal (usually stainless steel, but it can be brass, or something else). That plating will eventually wear or scratch away, showing the base metal, particularly if your guy is hard on the watch. If it's an occasional piece, and the plating is reasonably good (I don't know how to measure the ones on the watches you've selected... you can ask more around here or check out reviews online) then it should be fine for years. If not, that's one more consideration for you. (Sorry that we're making this harder, not easier....)

I have a Kenneth Cole skeleton that my wife got me (it's stainless steel, not gold). It's not my everyday wearer, but it is quite nice for the price (though I wish it didn't have "Kenneth Cole" emblazoned on the crystal [glass])/ I've posted it in a few of those links up there.

Best of luck again, and congrats!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts