WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thanks everyone for all the great info in this forum. Because of the info here, I've purchased 3 Seikos in the past few months and I know for sure, its not the end. Two of the watches I picked up were an skx007 & an skx173 - both second hand. I've noticed that the 173 has such a strong lume, its noticeable even during the day (it ALWAYS has that great 'minty glow'). However, not so with the the 007. The 007 is a definite white unless in a fairly dark environment. I will say, the 007 fades much faster than the 173.

My questions have to do with the lume on each of these two - is there a difference? Or is it just the 007 has lost some of the lume and needs to be re-lumed? How strong is the lume on 007's owned by others? I've attached some daytime photos of the two together, so hopefully you can see what I'm seeing.

P1210312.JPG P1210341.JPG P1210313.JPG P1210331.JPG

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think it's just different lume. Light green lume tends to be brighter than complete white lume.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it's just different lume. Light green lume tends to be brighter than complete white lume.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
Ditto, and what is the age of the one w/white lume compaired to the other......lume fades w/time.......some myself included like the looks of a faded lume dial w/matching hands. Unless you are going to go to Davey Jones Locker f/a look see. Lume really is not that big a deal!

·
Registered
152 Posts
PS: From the point of veiw as a collector, leave them just as they are..........retain their value if they have not been monkied with!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS: From the point of veiw as a collector, leave them just as they are..........retain their value if they have not been monkied with!
Thanks, guys. That's kinda what I thought. It appears the 173 has a green lume and the 007 a white lume. There is a bit of a fade on the 007, as I mentioned, but not horrible. As a side regarding collecting, the crystal on the 007 is the only thing that's been touched as far as I know. It looks like someone tried to polish the crystal at some point. Again, its not bad (they did a fairly good job), but I'd still like to replace the crystal. From a collector's standpoint - any problems with a new crystal or should I keep what's there?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
There really shouldn't be a difference in the lume. I'd guess your specific 007 is just an older watch. I was doing some errands this morning and when I came back inside, as I was washing my hands in the sink, my 007 lume was definitely a very bright green, even under bright incandescent lighting. But I only got it a few months ago, and it was made in Sept of 2011.

Does anyone know the lifespan of the superluminova or whatever they use on these watches ?

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
@tkoz:

I can only run lume tests at night, but I could run these two tonight and report the results (lots of pics) tomorrow:

Let me know. :)

HTH

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Could just be an optical illusion with your pictures, but the 173 lume looks thicker applied than the 007. That could partially explain the increased brightness.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Could just be an optical illusion with your pictures, but the 173 lume looks thicker applied than the 007. That could partially explain the increased brightness.
Oh, come on now ... no experimental prejudice, please. We don't know which one is brighter until we see the data. ;-)

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
The data are in.

Here are the two test subjects:

Both watches were "light soaked" for approximately 3 hours with 10,000 LUX of light from a compact fluorescent source. They were then moved to the studio and "charged" with a 600 lumen LED light immediately before testing started.

Photographs were taken every 15 minutes for 8 hours (480 minutes) with the following parameters:

ISO-3200 8 seconds f/5.6

Here's what they looked like at the beginning of the test (0 minutes):

After 15 minutes:

After 30 minutes:

After 45 minutes:

After 60 minutes:

After 90 minutes:

After 120 minutes:

After 150 minutes:

After 180 minutes:

After 240 minutes:

After 300 minutes:

After 360 minutes:

After 420 minutes:

After 480 minutes:

And here is an enhanced photo after 480 minutes of what the lume might look like to the naked eye after complete adaptation to night vision:

My conclusion is that the SKX173 lume is marginally brighter for longer than the SKX007 lume, but both will be legible all night if fully charged.

Please feel free to copy any of these photos and manipulate them yourselves if you wish.

HTH

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Both watches were "light soaked" for approximately 3 hours with 10,000 LUX of light from a compact fluorescent source. They were then moved to the studio and "charged" with a 600 lumen LED light immediately before testing started.

Photographs were taken every 15 minutes for 8 hours (480 minutes) with the following parameters:

ISO-3200 8 seconds f/5.6

My conclusion is that the SKX173 lume is marginally brighter for longer than the SKX007 lume, but both will be legible all night if fully charged.

Please feel free to copy any of these photos and manipulate them yourselves if you wish.

HTH
Wow - thanks, gaijin...you really went above and beyond. Those shots are very close to mine, except I'd say mine fades a bit quicker (the 007), although I haven't timed it like you have. My biggest question was more with the daytime color/glow of each. But, between your photos and mine, I'm pretty confident it's both the color of the lume and the age of the watch that are killing that "daytime green" that I see on the 173 and not on the 007.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Wow - thanks, gaijin...you really went above and beyond. Those shots are very close to mine, except I'd say mine fades a bit quicker (the 007), although I haven't timed it like you have. My biggest question was more with the daytime color/glow of each. But, between your photos and mine, I'm pretty confident it's both the color of the lume and the age of the watch that are killing that "daytime green" that I see on the 173 and not on the 007.
You're welcome. Glad you found the pics useful. ;-)

Just FYI, in my photos the SKX173 was made in 2002 and the SKX007 was made in 2008. Unless a modern Lumibrite watch has been subjected to some extreme light/temperature conditions, I have found that age is not so important.

HTH

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is really a helpful thread. I remember I used to google the lume comparison of these 2 watches, when I was deciding which watch to buy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts