WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

So I bought a SKX from a local trading website here in Aus, got a good deal and the vendor claimed the watch was new old display stock.

This seemed backed up by him having 1 of each variety for sale, pictures looked good and the price was fairly good.

The watch has two quirks that I find confusing tho...

1. It has a Black (yes im sure) dial along with a Pepsi Bezel. My thought here was that maybe someone wanted a blue face with a black dial one day and someone swapped it from the display piece... orrr its fake or something but everything else seems correct from what I can tell down to the see through blue sticker on the back so I don't think it is. When I asked the seller he claimed they come in both and offered a refund if I was not sure but it was already in the mail + I will be modding it anyway and wanted a black dial so eh... I figured if it was totally fake I could always fall back on PayPal.

2. The Lume on the dial is good, but for some reason the hands are faint and disappointing. If the hands are bad I figure I will just buy some genuine ones somebody has removed but if this is how the factory hands are meant to be (i doubt it) then ill look at other options. The Lume pic is after giving it direct Aussie mid day sun outside for a good 2 minutes then waited 30 min and walked into as dark a room as I could get my camera to somewhat focus in.

Pics below:

IMG_2206.jpg IMG_2209.jpg IMG_2207.jpg IMG_2208.jpg IMG_2210.jpg IMG_2211.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Kumabear,

You're right about the mismatched lume between the dial and hands. That's way off and should be much more closely matched (or even indistinguishable from each other), so they're aftermarket hands. But it gets worse than that; the dial itself seems wrong too. The lume plots are way too small wrt the hourmarkers and the day/date window should be bevelled, which it does not appear to be in your photos. So this is probably aftermarket as well. And then there's the lume pip on the bezel insert that seems ever so slightly wrong and possibly points to an aftermarket bezel insert as well.

If this was sold as NOS, I'd be furious and return it immediately.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like a fake. Everything looks off from the case side profile, text on back, dial is aftermarket and so is the insert.

I’d return it right away

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
That's fake. Pretty much everything is wrong with it right down to it having proper chapter ring alignment. Also I love how people think a little blue sticker is a sign of authenticity lol.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah it's a franken/fake. Dial, bezel insert, and hands are aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure I know which seller you got it from. There's a guy on Gumtree who seems to be advertising a bunch of 'NOS' Ex Shop Display SKXs, all of them with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's a franken/fake. Dial, bezel insert, and hands are aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure I know which seller you got it from. There's a guy on Gumtree who seems to be advertising a bunch of 'NOS' Ex Shop Display SKXs, all of them with aftermarket parts.
Yep that's the one, am glad I used paypal at least. He is still insisting its genuine but seems amenable to a return for a refund, any advice on how to process this and not get burned?

Also can someone link me to a trusted place so I can buy one while I sort this out, even on Amazon Australia its all fairly new resellers (probably owing to amazon being new here)

what about this place? https://www.auswatches.com/seiko-automatic-screw-down-crown-200m-divers-watch-skx007k-skx007.html

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes the lettering down below 6 is 'gobbley gook ' , its not genuine Seiko and the lume should look like this and last all night with ease , sorry to say .

Also the stamping on the back is not right , look at the 'L' in the word STEEL , its really different to the 'L' in stainLess and Seiko would NOT ! allow this , along with most other letter and number stamping seen here , the '1' at the end of the serial # is hand stamped ( I know as we hand stamp high pressure Oil and Gas pipe beside the welds for ID ).
Genuine Seiko backs are stamped using a die so they are all the same , this is all over the park !

Beanerds.

edit: the more I look at your great photo's the more I see , the biggest to me is the 12 O'clock triangle ,, it's deformed ! quite horrible and I see it it both photo's ,,, again sorry to say just send it back and buy from Angus and Cootes .

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Your links seem a tad expensive, but I haven't really closely tracked SKX prices post-discontinuation.

I bought my SKX007K2 from Watchspree on eBay, have nothing bad to say about them. They currently still have a SKX009K1 available for a reasonable price. And FYI, it doesn't come with a proper Seiko Manufacturer Warranty, just a Seller's Warranty.

Here's a SKX007K1 from a Singapore seller for an okay price. Though I've never bought from them so I can't personally vouch for them.
I also bought my SKX007J1 from WatchSpree and have no complaints.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yep that's the one, am glad I used paypal at least. He is still insisting its genuine but seems amenable to a return for a refund, any advice on how to process this and not get burned?

Also can someone link me to a trusted place so I can buy one while I sort this out, even on Amazon Australia its all fairly new resellers (probably owing to amazon being new here)

what about this place? https://www.auswatches.com/seiko-automatic-screw-down-crown-200m-divers-watch-skx007k-skx007.html
SKX009 still in stock at skywatches
https://www.skywatches.com.sg/reviews/catalogsearch/result/?q=skx009

·
Registered
797 Posts
My opinion: if you're going to mod it by swapping out the dial, hands, bezel, movement, and/or crystal anyway, it only matters as long as the case is good. No need to pay extra for "real" components that you're going to remove anyway.

The issue is when dealing with a seller misrepresenting the condition of an item, that's the problem.

There are really no good options buying used watch from some specialized dealer. Just think about where these watches may be coming from. If your need is a SKX with all genuine parts, only good options are to buy from an original individual owner or buy new from an authorized dealer. Otherwise, you're just taking a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts