WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great post, thanks! I am about to do a mod for the first time and am trying to do the necessary research as i have never done anything remotely close to this before.

I saw this question asked earlier but no answer. Is the tool kit on dagaz sufficient for a simple mod?
Web Store - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I saw this question asked earlier but no answer. Is the tool kit on dagaz sufficient for a simple mod?
Web Store - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.

Thanks!
Hi,

it looks like OK. I'm not fan of the 2pts case opener, even more if you've never tried to open a screwed case before.
Using this tool may end up scratching the case back if you slip ... I'd recommend you to apply some tape on the case back before trying to open it.

A good and inexpensive solution is to use a squash ball. Just put the case face down in one palm, then press the ball on the case back with your other hand and start to rotate counter clockwise. The coefficient of friction of the ball is so high that you have a great chance to open the case this way, and without scratching it :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

it looks like OK. I'm not fan of the 2pts case opener, even more if you've never tried to open a screwed case before.
Using this tool may end up scratching the case back if you slip ... I'd recommend you to apply some tape on the case back before trying to open it.

A good and inexpensive solution is to use a squash ball. Just put the case face down in one palm, then press the ball on the case back with your other hand and start to rotate counter clockwise. The coefficient of friction of the ball is so high that you have a great chance to open the case this way, and without scratching it :)
That's a good tip, thanks! I will invest in a quality squash ball. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Absolutely Wonderful tutorial!!!! My 007 and parts are in route. I do have one question about the second hand. I understand setting the other hands (hour & min) to noon but what about the second hand? Should I just take note of its position and replace it accordingly or is there a way to move it to the 12:00 position as well? Also, I have a small mini air pump that connect to my precision router base to blow the dust away when I route for pearl inlay in banjo fingerboard/headstocks. Any reason to not use this as a dust blower for watch repair? I always see the squeeze ball type and didn't think that was anything but an inexpensive solution but thought I would make sure ther isn't another reason.
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Only hour and minute hands are "indexed". The second one is not linked to the other and can be fitted wherever it is the most comfortable for you.
Regarding the blower, you can use whatever you want, just make sure that the pressure is not too strong and "clean". Most air compressors add oil in the flow ... which is bad :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think i would like to mod one of my seiko still not sure what look im going for yet. Questions other than 10watches.com where can i find custom parts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great write-up. I'm looking at swapping the white day/date wheels to black. Can you just swap the wheels without the entire 7S26 movement? I have a functioning 7S26 with discolored white day/date, and would rather just buy the wheels, or a dead movement with the black wheels I want. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Great write up and really appreciated. I am gearing up to try my hand at my first customization and have pretty much settled on the SKX007 as my base and this looks like one the best walk-through that I've read.

Now I just need to decided on a dial, and hands, and bezel... I have a feeling that I may end up changing it out every few months. Maybe I'll just chalk it up as extra practice?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Excellent mod. Though i'd keep the metal bracelet. But i do like the new non diver bezel. I never liked those big bezels with numbers, but the replacement that you used is fantastic. Clean and just looks great. I'd do the rotating bezel (only) mod to the Orient Mako which looks fantastic and it would look even better without the diver bezel. The question is, where to get such replacement parts? Did you order them from the Seiko service or somewhere else (like eBay) ?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
He listed where he got the parts at the end of the guide :). I believe it was from Jake B, Yobokies and Dave @ PMWF

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
This is such a GREAT thread! I actually asked if this could be DIY'ed in one of the other threads and here's the answer. Unfortunately without any practice or tools I don't think I'll be doing this anytime soon. Will probably send my watch to the pros when I decide on which Seiko to get. Will definitely keep this thread as reference.

Thank you Belokan!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The question is, where to get such replacement parts? Did you order them from the Seiko service or somewhere else (like eBay) ?
He listed where he got the parts at the end of the guide :). I believe it was from Jake B, Yobokies and Dave @ PMWF
As Citizen V stated most parts are coming from:

10 Watches / Jake B / XW - Hmm... Let's try that again - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.
Yobokies / Harold - www.yobokies.com
Murphy Manufacturing / Dave - Murphy Manufacturing Co., Inc.

Dave's coin edge bezel on one of my SKX007 (+Parnis ceramic insert):

Ebay may be a good place to find some custom/vintage parts ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Great thread!! Thanks to all, it has inspired my next (2nd) mod. Searching for the parts has begun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the best thread, I've read it fifty times and it was instrumental in guiding me through my first mod.
Can you please explain or show how to switch date wheels? Thanks!

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
15,751 Posts
Thank you OP for the tutorial.

I have a question the answer to which remains elusive on EVERY googled article / comments about this issue, and so, the question is:
MUST one remove the crystal in order to change the chapter ring?

I sure wish it ain't so.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts