WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you feel the edge of the crystal bevel between the crystal and the bezel on a stock SKX007 with your fingernail?
Should the bezel insert be flush with the crystal?

I am trying to figure out if this SKX has an original crystal and bezel. On a 6309-7049 the crystal has a beveled edge and a horizontal gap between the top of the crystal and the bezel that you can distinctly feel with your nail.

See attached photos of the SKX007 in question and thanks for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can feel the edge of the crystal with my fingernail on mine. Hope that helps
Thanks! Do you know if it's possible to install the crystal upside-down? I have pics of this watch with a distinct gap between the crystal edge and bezel, but when this watch returned from servicing, it is crystal all the way to the edge.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think it's right. Older divers like the 6309 and 7002-7000 have crystals slightly larger (32mm) which would need the bevel for the rotating bezel insert to fit on top of it; otherwise the crystal would be pushing against the bottom of the insert. Newer ones, 7002-7039 and 7S26-0020, use a slightly smaller 31mm crystal that's exact match of the bezel insert opening, so there's no bevel on top.

·
Registered
447 Posts
At first I thought - that’s a normal crystal, it has a bevel and corner that can be seen and felt like it should.
But the more I stare at that, it doesn’t seem as clear as Hardlex. One thing I like about Hardlex over sapphire is that it is more anti reflective on its own. I’m not sure if it’s just these photos, but I’m seeing reflections that are similar to sapphire crystals. On Hardlex crystals, the dial looks dark charcoal, almost black, even at angles. The pictures above have way too much reflection for Hardlex.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At first I thought - that’s a normal crystal, it has a bevel and corner that can be seen and felt like it should.
But the more I stare at that, it doesn’t seem as clear as Hardlex. One thing I like about Hardlex over sapphire is that it is more anti reflective on its own. I’m not sure if it’s just these photos, but I’m seeing reflections that are similar to sapphire crystals. On Hardlex crystals, the dial looks dark charcoal, almost black, even at angles. The pictures above have way too much reflection for Hardlex.
Maybe, I did take the pics right next to a light. The watch was secondhand to me, but the prev owner said they bought it new.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Hardlex can be very reflective as well, depending on the lighting. I wouldn't make that determination just from these pictures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to put a wrap on this thread, I checked the SKX in question against a few other Seiko divers, watched a few crystal replacement videos, and looked at the OEM and OEM-equivalent crystals and I believe that it was installed upside down. I asked the watchmaker to flip it and when it came back it did have a bevel wide enough to see and feel with your fingernail. Thanks for all the comments!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts