WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

SKX009K or SKX175?

• Keep the 009K (no country labeling)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Return it for a 175 (Singapore or Malaysia labeling)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Who cares, they are essentially identical - both mass produced divers...

Votes: 17 58.6%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently received a SKX009K by accident (which was supposed to be SKX175).( https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?do=editpost&postid=242354 ). Question is, does it really matter? For all intents and purposes, and from what I read on the Seiko Diver's Reference over on SCWF, they are the same.

Should I return and get a 175 which is what I ordered (because there was a great deal going for the 175, not for the 009K). I'd have to deal with possibly paying the return shipping, and also the hassle, and even possible risk of getting another 009K. The watch (for some strange reason) did not include the string tag when I bought it on Amazon last week.

The question is having Singapore or Malaysia on dial or not. Obviously having 'Japan' would be most desirable, but that's not what we're talking about here. Would having nothing instead of Singapore or Malaysia be preferrable? Or would it be better to actually know where it's from (which is in itself debatable, again... from info on the Seiko Diver's reference (http://www.makedostudio.com/watches/seiko-divers/index.html#7S26).

thnx |>

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also purchased one of the SKX175 from Amazon. Looked like a good deal to me. And after reading your posts and looking, I also got what looks like a SKX009. Truthfully, it doesn't matter at all to me. I got this watch to wear when not wanting to mess others up, not as an investment.

It's not worth the hassle (for me, you may decide differently) to go through all of that for what is essentially the exact same watch. The location names mean little to me, and almost nothing for a watch in this price range. Could I have gotten an SKX009 a little cheaper elsewhere? Probably, but not by much.

Overall, I'm okay with it. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also purchased one of the SKX175 from Amazon. Looked like a good deal to me. And after reading your posts and looking, I also got what looks like a SKX009. Truthfully, it doesn't matter at all to me. I got this watch to wear when not wanting to mess others up, not as an investment.

It's not worth the hassle (for me, you may decide differently) to go through all of that for what is essentially the exact same watch. The location names mean little to me, and almost nothing for a watch in this price range. Could I have gotten an SKX009 a little cheaper elsewhere? Probably, but not by much.

Overall, I'm okay with it. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.
Yeah - I'm tempted to do nothing (although I already emailed Amazon, just to let them know). But I may decide to keep the watch, since I really do like it. Physically/Mechanically, it would seem the 009K and 175 are identical. Just a cosmetic difference, and a minor one at that.

I just feel a little gipped, even though it's fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Just seems a little shady on Amazon's part, even though in this case it's practically harmless, and I would not have expected that, especially for something bought direct, and through one of their third party vendors. That's more the issue.

Thnx for your input. At least I know I'm not the only one now. |>

cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Here's a reply I got from Seiko USA...

Here's a reply I got from Seiko USA ([email protected]) after asking where the SKX009K and SKX175 were made and what the differences were...

Dear Seiko Customer.

SKX009 has been discontinued. The replacement is SKX175
Because we have assembly facilities throughout the continent of Asia, Seiko watches can be manufactured and assembled anywhere within that region.

So even more confusion... :think:

·
Registered
195 Posts
In Amazon's defense, they may not even know what they had. I'm guessing they get stock like that from distributors and they don't follow the minutiae like we do here. They may have taken the word of someone or just compared to a Seiko catalogue.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey prisoner6 - just curious if yours came with a hang tag or not.

thnx |>

·
Registered
195 Posts
You know, I don't completely recall, but I don't believe it did. It was in a blue case, which was in a white cardboard outer box. Was fastened to a pillow and had all the protective stickers on the back and bracelet. But I don't remember a hang tag.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK - that's how mine was as well. Instruction book and Warranty book & card included.

cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Here's a reply I got from Seiko USA...

That is incorrect information.

SKX009 is the Asian market variant. SKX175 is the North American one.
I'm not saying it's correct or not, but that's the email response I got from Seiko USA. Could be the pre-programmed response they are told to say to anyone inquiring from within the U.S. market, since the SKX175 is the North American model as you pointed out, and SKX009 only supposed to be sold to Asian market.

But I'm going to keep it regardless. I have a Seiko Super Oyster bracelet on the way even. ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
All this time, I thought I was sporting an SKX175, now I find out it's a 009. Guess it doesn't make much difference though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just going to keep the 009 - not worth the hassle to get the 175, and I kinda prefer the 009 anyways.

Any way to close the poll? - I didn't put an expiry on it. :think:

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Where I bought mine, I had the option of either the 009 or the 175. I specifically chose the 009 just because it is the asian market model.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought the 009J Japanese model on the bay. Frankly other than shade of blue (which might just be camera angle) I can't see any difference. Or is the one on the left black?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts